• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Orders Mignogna, Remaining Defendants to Mediate Before October 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
. By your logic any time you sub-tweet someone and make a jab against them it's encouraging harassment against them.

It was actually ruled many months ago by Tempest himself that insulting people like this is perfectly fine and there's no issue with this. It would be very hypocritical for people to get upset about people being made fun of when they do it themselves all the time. I have seen Ms. MarzGurl do this herself many times as well.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Two weeks until all this goes away one way or another?

Appeals can take years to go through.

Last edited by gloverrandal on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
Aresef wrote:
Something none of Mignogna’s defenders have yet to explain is why, with very few exceptions like Chuck Huber and Reuben Langdon, none of Mignogna’s peers are vouching for him. In fact, where voice actors are speaking up, it’s to side with Rial and Marchi in Calling Mignogna a creep. If this were a conspiracy, well, cui bono?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's the constant death threats and attacks people have been suffering when they've come out in defense of Vic. In addition to the threats on his family, there's already been certain individuals basically bragging how they're no longer going to let Chuck Huber go to any convention they have influence over, basically validating Chuck's fears he'll have a target on him now for speaking out. And many people are already going after another anime VA who owns a live-streaming website Vic uses and threatening him that he better ban Vic from the platform but he refused to do so. Not naming names for their sake, but it's not hard to find out who it is. You defend Vic, you get un-personed just like he was. The best you're going to see is VAs who aren't saying a single thing at all about this situation. Defending Vic is basically saying "Hello, all you people sending death threats out there and have powers to blacklist me from conventions and casting roles, please do just that! Thanks!"

You can say the same about Marchi and Rial’s supporters. They get just as many threats from Vic fans and have threatened to stop supporting Funi and every con those two go to. Yet, they still have several coworkers and other people in the anime industry openly supporting them. I wonder why?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

We're talking about this case, not whatever panel happened 15 years ago when it was common for VAs to have rivalries and feud with one another. As I said, I've only seen him say "combat the negativity" with positivisty. "Their behavior" is vague so I'm not sure what that poster meant which is why I asked them to clarify. f they're saying that means threats and harassment then I find it very bizarre how someone can interpret "please combat the negativity with positivity" as "please go threaten and harass anyone who talks bad about me"

There's video from an appearance this last weekend where he whipped up his fans against Greg Doucette and the other Twitter lawyers who've been commenting on the case.

Quote:

That's a different video actually,

No, that's the exact video I was referring to.

Quote:
but I also saw that one being passed around. You should post the whole context though. By "something like that" you mean when he said if someone came after his family and tried to ruin his livelihood simply because they disliked him. That's not exactly a rare stance for a father to have when someone's family is being threatened. This is why context is important and you shouldn't leave details out.

A) Saying you'd kill someone for something they've said is not normal behavior. It is not acceptable behavior. It is not behavior that is in any way justifiable.

B) Beard doesn't simply argue that he'd be so infuriated he'd act in a fit of rage. He argues in favor of cold blooded killing, and then says such an act should be legal.

C) "Tried to ruin his livelihood simply because they dislike him" is exactly what Beard claims Marchi and Rial are doing to Mignogna. Transitive property here -- he's arguing that it'd be okay to shoot them. He, as Mignogna's legal representative, is telling Mignogna's fans that violence against the defendants is A-OK. Is it any wonder that some of these guys would take it one step further and decide it's okay to threaten the judge.

Yes, this is absolutely on Mignogna's back. That's why the judge felt the need to bring it up in court.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Aresef wrote:
Something none of Mignogna’s defenders have yet to explain is why, with very few exceptions like Chuck Huber and Reuben Langdon, none of Mignogna’s peers are vouching for him. In fact, where voice actors are speaking up, it’s to side with Rial and Marchi in Calling Mignogna a creep. If this were a conspiracy, well, cui bono?

Pretty much; even though not that many people are vocally critical of Vic, pretty much zero are supportive of him. And considering one of the affidavits a few weeks ago it's not surprising. With Vic's attitude making him a pariah among recording studios it's obvious that would then extend to actors. No one wants his stink on them and no one ESPECIALLY wants to defend a guy who's been repeatedly accused of serial sexual misconduct.

And based on Adam Sheehan's affidavit, Vic's MO was an open secret in the industry for years. There were locks installed at Funimation that staff called "Vic locks."
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's the constant death threats and attacks people have been suffering when they've come out in defense of Vic.
In addition to the threats on his family, there's already been certain individuals basically bragging how they're no longer going to let Chuck Huber go to any convention they have influence over, basically validating Chuck's fears he'll have a target on him now for speaking out. And many people are already going after another anime VA who owns a live-streaming website Vic uses and threatening him that he better ban Vic from the platform but he refused to do so. Not naming names for their sake, but it's not hard to find out who it is. You defend Vic, you get un-personed just like he was. The best you're going to see is VAs who aren't saying a single thing at all about this situation. Defending Vic is basically saying "Hello, all you people sending death threats out there and have powers to blacklist me from conventions and casting roles, please do just that! Thanks!"

So much said over nothing.

First off. I don't care if the fee fees of people defending Vic get hurt.

Second, this is par for the course in a situation where a celeb, minor or major gets entangled into a sexual harassment scandal. There are going to be crazies, its inevitable.

Third. Let's look at the people who actually have a stake in this scandal, on the Vic side, there is

1.) Vic
2.) Nick, the originator of the GFM account AND the lawsuit.
3.) Ty Beard, Vic's lawyer, also alleged manager of Nick's financial trust fund.

On the other side there is:
1.) Monica, Ron, Jamie and Funimation
2.) Lemoine and Johnson, who represent Monica, Ron and Jamie.
3.) Funimation's lawyers(names escape me at the moment).

Now that you have all the parties here, let's evaluate what they have said.

So far, Vic has ginned up his base across a 15 year span telling people if they find someone "spreading negativity out there," to "be a force for good" which pretty much equates to harassing anyone who has anything negative to say about Vic.

Then there is Nick, who constantly spreads lies about the nature of the defamation case, misstates the law in just about every sentence he utters on youtube, and likes to pass around pictures of the defendants with their faces altered to make fun of their appearence, etc.

Let's not forget Ty Beard, who asked a forum frequented by white supremacists, nazis, and misogynists to "make their lives miserable." Who is "their" in this case? Oh just about anyone who has anything negative to say about Vic, Ty or Nick.I. e. Ty told anonymous trolls, to harass people with no stake in the case at all.

Those are three people directly involved in the case.

Now find me statements from the defendants where they tell the fans to harass Vic supporters, harass the defendants, etc.

the only things you will find will not be even comparable. It will just be more goal post moving and bad faith arguments.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Apparently threatening to kill Chuck Huber and his family for coming out in favor of Vic

I haven't really seen this. I haven't really seen the kind of threats leveled against the anti-Vic people also brought to the pro-Vic side.

Pro-Vic people threaten Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi, and their supporters on the regular. There's not nearly as much nastiness from one side as with the other and to pretend it's somehow equal is absurd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Expias

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Something a lot of civil attorneys mentioned is that court-ordered ADRs (alternative dispute resolutions, which include mediations) are common in civil cases, especially Texas. Keep it out of the court and not have a judge have to spend time on it.

To me, this is mostly a way for Vic to meet with the mediator and a) see what he's in for and b) try to save him costs (like the sanctions). Mediation benefits for the defendants are stuff like getting transparency; public apology, non-disparagement agreements etc. Mediation could keep Vic from paying too much in fines or sanctions while also keeping the defendants from spending years in appeals.

If I were in the defendants' shoes, with financial support, I wouldn't settle in mediation if I'm not getting all of me fees paid for plus transparency and a public apology. If Rekieta keeps it up, i'd also want a condemnation of him and TUG and that Anime Matsuri appearance from Vic too. While judges in Texas can change things, I highly doubt his dismissals are going to change. I think that's Rekieta spinning.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
Something a lot of civil attorneys mentioned is that court-ordered ADRs (alternative dispute resolutions, which include mediations) are common in civil cases, especially Texas. Keep it out of the court and not have a judge have to spend time on it.

To me, this is mostly a way for Vic to meet with the mediator and a) see what he's in for and b) try to save him costs (like the sanctions). Mediation benefits for the defendants are stuff like getting transparency; public apology, non-disparagement agreements etc. Mediation could keep Vic from paying too much in fines or sanctions while also keeping the defendants from spending years in appeals.

If I were in the defendants' shoes, with financial support, I wouldn't settle in mediation if I'm not getting all of me fees paid for plus transparency and a public apology. If Rekieta keeps it up, i'd also want a condemnation of him and TUG and that Anime Matsuri appearance from Vic too. While judges in Texas can change things, I highly doubt his dismissals are going to change. I think that's Rekieta spinning.

Apparently Ty and Nick were already talking big not even 24 hours later. It's highly likely that they'll either

1) not take the offer like the clowns that they are and try to keep the grift going
2) take the offer to mediate but spin it heavily to their audience
getumbuck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
Aresef wrote:

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's the constant death threats and attacks people have been suffering when they've come out in defense of Vic. In addition to the threats on his family, there's already been certain individuals basically bragging how they're no longer going to let Chuck Huber go to any convention they have influence over, basically validating Chuck's fears he'll have a target on him now for speaking out. And many people are already going after another anime VA who owns a live-streaming website Vic uses and threatening him that he better ban Vic from the platform but he refused to do so. Not naming names for their sake, but it's not hard to find out who it is. You defend Vic, you get un-personed just like he was. The best you're going to see is VAs who aren't saying a single thing at all about this situation. Defending Vic is basically saying "Hello, all you people sending death threats out there and have powers to blacklist me from conventions and casting roles, please do just that! Thanks!"

See I don't believe that line of thinking at all. For example look what happened to James Gunn when he got fired by Disney. Nearly all of his co workers stood up for him. Heck even members of the MeToo movement were pissed at Disney for what he did. You didn't see James Gunn trying to file any lawsuits against the people who exposed his tweets. The guy handled things like a true professional and everyone loved him for it. So much so that he did get his job back a few months later.

In Vic's case however, there aren't many people who actually worked with the guy coming out and saying how he's "such a good man" and "how he was wronged by this". That alone raises a massive red flag for me and makes me wonder. Vic honestly should admit that he was wrong and try to get some help.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:

Yeah, IANAL, but I don't think mediation is gonna go well for him. He doesn't have a case against anybody.

Even though I'll be thrilled when we don't have to hear about him again, I worry how much more brazen his fans will become after the rest of the case is dismissed.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
Apparently Ty and Nick were already talking big not even 24 hours later. It's highly likely that they'll either

1) not take the offer like the clowns that they are and try to keep the grift going

This isn't an "offer to mediate", it's a court ordered requirement to attempt mediation. They can choose to show up and not cooperate, but unless they want to face very real consequences they must show up. Given the rhetoric over the last 24 hours, it's pretty clear they do no intend to cooperate. In their delusional dreamworld, they somehow think they're "winning" and still have a chance.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
JustinTaco wrote:

This isn't an "offer to mediate", it's a court ordered requirement to attempt mediation. They can choose to show up and not cooperate, but unless they want to face very real consequences they must show up. Given the rhetoric over the last 24 hours, it's pretty clear they do no intend to cooperate. In their delusional dreamworld, they somehow think they're "winning" and still have a chance.

My bad, that was some poor wording.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If the remaining complaints were without merit, he would have dismissed them, as he did with the others.

That's not correct. The purpose of the hearing was for both sides to present arguments about the merits of the case. Normally, the judge would have heard everything out and adjourned without ruling on any of the issues, then delivered a written ruling in a couple weeks after taking time to consider the arguments.

Nobody expected the judge to rule from the bench. That he did so is a sign that those parts of the case were so flimsy they didn't require any consideration. The fact that he didn't dismiss everything on the day doesn't mean that he thinks the remaining complaints have merit. He hasn't ruled anything on them yet. All that means is that Beard managed to clear the lowest hurdle and convinced the judge that the issues are complex enough to warrant deliberation.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Once again posts have been removed in one of these topics for either victim blaming, conspiracy theories, blatant trolling, bad faith arguing, or responses to said posts that just drive everything down the rabbit hole. So let's stop it until the next thread pops up and we have to go through the same thing all over again. K Thanks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Terrible idea. You can't control what other people do. Anyone who tries to apologize on behalf of some group people is either a huge schmuck or just dumb and doesn't realize that doing that just lets people guilt-by-association you even more.

No one said apologize for them, they said he should tell his fans to stop.

“You know the old Latin—or is it Greek? There’s an axiom that says: Silence gives consent.”

“If somebody is doing something you don’t approve of and you don’t say anything...the implication is that you must be okay with it.”

So sayeth Vic Mignogna.

Edit: bandit's post was on page 2 so I hadn't seen Psycho's post yet. I don't know if it means end the discussion, period, or just stop with the "victim blaming, conspiracy theories, blatant trolling, bad faith arguing, or responses to said posts," but since he didn't lock the thread, I have to assume the latter. Delete it if I guessed wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5