• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fafner the Beyond Anime's New Promo Video Previews Episodes 4-6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
With any luck, Fafner The Beyond will find its way to at least an official streaming service in 2020. Still hoping Right of Left gets an official stream and/or home video release overseas. And with Exodus, we have the stream, but sadly no home video release.

From the video clips of The Beyond, I do have some concerns the franchise might be eating at its own tail a bit. But hopefully not.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those series that I wanted to watch when it first came out, and heard mixed things about, and then never got around to being able to watch it. Mind you I still want to though because I'm generally interested in anything with giant robots, and that isn't EVA (Yes, I do dislike EVA. No I am not ashamed).

So I really, really, really want to know what is wrong with that guys face in the image because it either looks like it's melting, or something is coming out of his face and I am so confused but horribly curious enough to comment on it and hope someone tells me Anime hyper

I legit thought he was crying at first glance, and then realized no something is wrong with his face.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
This is one of those series that I wanted to watch when it first came out, and heard mixed things about, and then never got around to being able to watch it. Mind you I still want to though because I'm generally interested in anything with giant robots, and that isn't EVA (Yes, I do dislike EVA. No I am not ashamed).

So I really, really, really want to know what is wrong with that guys face in the image because it either looks like it's melting, or something is coming out of his face and I am so confused but horribly curious enough to comment on it and hope someone tells me Anime hyper

I legit thought he was crying at first glance, and then realized no something is wrong with his face.

If you're talking about the white streaks under the eyes, it's part of the pilot suit gear. It's like a sensor array that wraps from the head to the face.

If you're talking about the squiggles under some faces, those are hatch lines, a drawing technique to create further definition of facial features that some artists use. (To be honest, the character designs are one of the least appealing things about the franchise overall, and they are part of the reason it took me a while to give it a try.)

However, Fafner is a really good scifi franchise with mecha. The timeline order of the series is:

-Fafner: Right of Left (Prequel OVA) - No official release in North America
-Fafner in the Azure: Dead Agressor (Original TV Series) - DVD/BD & Streaming in N.A.
-Fafner: Heaven and Earth (Movie Sequel) - DVD/BD and Streaming in N.A.
-Fafner EXODUS (TV Sequel to Heaven and Earth) - Streaming in N.A.
-Fafner THE BEYOND (TV Sequel to EXODUS) - No official release in North America

The franchise is best described as RahXephon meets Macross. But since RahXephon was influenced by Evangelion, there are some loose connections to EVA. I'm not an EVA superfan myself, but I respect and really enjoy elements of EVA. (RahXephon was my favorite take on that branch of the mecha genre overall.)

Regarding the Fafner franchise, it is uneven as a whole, but the good outweighs the bad, with a lot of spectacular parts. Its biggest problem is not committing to an ending and therefore too often rushing/forcing its conclusions with awkward cliffhangers between seasons/films. So you know, the visuals and action in the series really don't hit their stride until the EXODUS season. But Fafner EXODUS is easily one of the best mecha series of the last ten years.

If you're a fan of mecha and scifi, and have a little patience for the story to develop, Fafner is must-see anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1