• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Demon Lord, Retry!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Mari Okada did not write Tordora...you just invalidated you're own argument.

umm
Quick google search..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toradora!

Anime television series
Directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai
Produced by Takahiro Nakayama
Takaaki Yuasa
Shinichi Ikeda
Muneyuki Kanbe
Yuji Matsukura
Written by Mari Okada
Music by Yukari Hashimoto
Studio J.C.Staff
Licensed by
AUS
Hanabee
NA
NIS America
UK
MVM Films
Original network TV Tokyo
English network
PH
TV5
Original run October 2, 2008 – March 26, 2009
Episodes 25 (List of episodes)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
The problem with quick google searches is that they aren't full context searches.
Unlike Araburu Kisetsu, the events and characters in Toradora weren't penned by Okada Mari. Instead, her involvement consists of adapting the text in the novel into scripts for 25 bits of 20 minute animations.

I mean that same link tells you that the anime is an adaptation of the light novels and who wrote said novels.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
It was written by Okada in the same way that some random writer (not Bram Stoker) wrote the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula, except whoever that was probably had more creative liberty than Okada having to keep the anime close to the original novel that was still being released at the time. Take a look at the Toradora source material, then you can see what things Okada was able to bring to the anime. While O maidens was written by all her.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
You know I actually think the hot springs arc represents the true purpose of Demon Lord Retry which is to dick around in another world. To build of Theron's point, Demon Lord Retry feels like it's the bizarre child of Overlord and Smartphone. Where you have a character whose seen as evil, making the world a better place with the greatest ease. While I would compare this show to Smartphone, I find that it is far more interesting and I ended up really enjoying the antics of the characters. It's far better than Isekai Cheat Magician but I don't enjoy it as much as Okaasan Online or Arifureta (From Terrible CG to Likable Edgelords).

Granted I just really want my favorite Isekais to get good adaptations. Which at the moment are Tales of Wedding Rings (outlook looks goods), The Dungeon of the Black Company (probably going to be a budget title) and Shinjuu not Nectar (please don't be Hoods Entertainment).
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
In the making of anime and to a lesser degree manga, some series are done in a holiday spirit. In other words, the normal demands and stresses of making a series or inteprettion of a manga (not the easiest job by far on the planet)....are suspended and the making of the show becomes relaxed and fun. Watchers in Japan understand this and appreciate it. Not every series has to be life and death save the universe, totally serious about itself.

this is such a show. That may help to understand and appreciate it. Many happy and familar themes are of course danced across the stage and we can relax into what is a warm bath of familiar fun.

enjoy if you like, but as one nice poster said, leave without malice if it is not your cup of tea.

I have enjoyed it and tend to think there will be more.

C that was a nice review with good thought and care taken. thank you.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't even think Toradora and O Maidens are that similar except that they're both quality romantic comedies directed by the same person. The plot, characters, and overall message are completely different.
edit: *sorry the scripts were written by the same person. Not directed.

Anyways Demon Lord Retry. Of all the isekai that came out this season DLR was certainly one of them!

Last edited by ThrowMeOut on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
I don't even think Toradora and O Maidens are that similar except that they're both quality romantic comedies directed by the same person.

Tatsuyuki Nagai did not direct O Maidens in Your Savage Season. That was Masahiro Ando and Takurō Tsukada.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
While I can agree that Retry was the best Isekai this season... it was also really, really bad. From the storytelling to the animation, it was just... an incoherent mess. Not sure if this says more about the animators or the source material, but knowing Isekai novels, I'm inclined towards the latter.

The only thing I can say in praise of it is... the essential premise? Yeah, it could have been really interesting--if they'd taken it in any other direction. And it was at least watchable in a, "I can't believe anyone spent money animating something this bad" kind of way, which is far more than can be said of its immediate competitors.
Phantom 22 Hearts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I like this anime a lot because it reminds me a lot about the anime how not to summon a demon lord in which a gamer is placed in a world against their will, and they become there character after being summoned. Last there both demon lords so conflict happens to them. Only 2 things these 2 anime share in coming, but so far I'm liking the story of Demon lord Retry better than the other one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2