• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Consolidates Funimation, France's Wakanim, Australia's Madman Anime Into Joint Venture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Also, if they're immediately dubbing the new Grand Order anime...does that mean Funimation is handling it, instead of Bang Zoom? Although I expect Funimation would at least try and keep the English cast as consistent as possible from past dubbed Fate anime.

no simuldub for this according to a tweet from funi two hours ago. just the subbed simulcast, so its a normal dub which likely still means Bang Zoom
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that there's no mention of Animax, which is still available in Germany and the Asia-Pacific region, especially that it's a direct corporate sister of Funimation.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Yes Sony can as they own 95% of Funimation with the remaining 5% being Gen Fukunaga Funimation's founder and chairman (basically he is a Sony employee with a small ownership stake in a division that just got made bigger win-win for him).

Until Sony decides that they want that last 5%
Millennial Anime Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute I thought Funimation was supposed to collapse, go bankrupt, and lose the Dragon Ball license because of the Vic Mignogna lawsuit? I guess that doesn't appear to happening.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will possibly mean that Madman is going to be getting the Monogatari Series? Because Hanabee doesn't seem to be licensing any anime anymore (sadly), and Owari Part 3 has never been released here (I've been meaning to import it myself).

I'm hoping that new Monogatari will pop up here soon, as I think that the Koyomi short series hasn't been picked up anywhere?
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This might be bad. Funimation FOR SOME REASON likes to compress the hell out of their blu-ray releases. Last I heard, Madman left the video files untouched from the Japanese release. So while a JP/Australian release would be 30Mbps, Funimation would compress it down to 10-15 Mbps, again, for no logical reason...blu-ray has plenty of space. It would make sense to me that they'll all start doing that crap if they all become Funimation but I really dope Funimation just stops compressing stuff to begin with, it almost defeats the purpose of a home release and is disrespectful to the artists.

This could have the reverse effect in that being fully under Sony Funimation might start releasing in higher quality.

On other things, this makes things rather interesting now, especially in the ANZ market. It would explain why AnimeLab has changed its logo, and has started doing more simulcasts. I just wonder how it will impact licensing Sentai and other licensed products, since it will look like they will go for bundled region licences rather than Funi licencing for NA, Madman for ANZ etc. I know Sentai has HIDIVE and is partnering with Crunchy Roll though, but it just depends on what licences Madman are sitting on too.

One thing I do hope from this, but not holding my breath, is maybe more anime in cinemas here in AU.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, with all of the Fate franchise titles under Aniplex now being streamed under Funimation and alongside some of their other new major titles, could this be a big sign that Funimation will get not only current Aniplex titles out under their label for a much more reasonable price instead of paying an arm and a leg for them but also get back past Aniplex titles that they used to have in the past like say Fullmetal Alchemist and Darker Than Black and have them back on the market for cheaper prices again? If so, I think this could be to everyone's benefit! It's quite a good idea to consolidate everything here under Sony's watch.

Also, those certain people I will not name claim that Funimation is done for after something involving a certain controversial and disgraced voice actor? According to this, it's only making them much stronger now! I am just laughing at that now!
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:53 am Reply with quote
Anime is getting stupid expensive in Australia again. $90 for half a season of some shows in 'limited' editions just isn't going to get my custom. Good thing there's regular sales at other places to offset the greed. It almost feels like they're just charging extra for the hassle of printing physical media these days.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:02 am Reply with quote
I still want to be able to buy high quality anime in Australia. Madman demonstrated a commitment to quality without excessive pricing of video releases.

If this doesn't continue we are better off with the Japanese companies just releasing "world product" box sets with several languages of dubs and subs included.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Also, those certain people I will not name claim that Funimation is done for after something involving a certain controversial and disgraced voice actor? According to this, it's only making them much stronger now! I am just laughing at that now!

Funimation employees may not be laughing at the moment. There's a very real chance this is going to lead to layoffs like the Otter Media consolidation and merger did for Rooster Teeth and Crunchyroll employees. A company is just a name. A brand. I suppose it's not uncommon to see posts like this which don't think about the people who work for said company and merely view them as interchangeable cogs that are easily replaced. So long as the name-brand survives, what else matters?
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:
It almost feels like they're just charging extra for the hassle of printing physical media these days.

Because when it comes to limited editions they have to...? Like, it literally costs more to make the limited editions so it makes sense people would pay more to balance the costs...
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Can they do this if they don't own all of Funimation? Either way, this is smart. I also wonder if Aniplex of America is long for this world.

Sony owns 98% of Funimation
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Assuming that Aniplex of America is consolidated and essentially folds/dies out, ideally the employees can find work soon! I know what it is like to be laid off and not have regular work all too well.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:28 am Reply with quote
It'll be sad no longer having the brand name Madman associated with anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
So, the bean counters are finally heard loud & clear. Save money, consolidate!

I wonder where Anixplex USA nee-Aniplex of America fits into all this?

Mark Gosdin

not to ruffle anyones feathers, but I don't think it does. isn't is getting what it needs? seeing overpriced boxsets at a low volume and still making a profit?

why would they stop that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3