• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Consolidates Funimation, France's Wakanim, Australia's Madman Anime Into Joint Venture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Why does this news effect Aniplex's physical release model when this is mostly about the streaming side of things? Funimation has already been streaming Aniplex titles for a year now and their physical releases are still the same. I'm not a big fan of Aniplex myself but I think people are getting their hopes up that this will be the end of them.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
It'll be sad no longer having the brand name Madman associated with anime.

I don't think they will be dropping the Madman branding, as it is pretty well known throughout ANZ. That being said, I was surprised to see the AnimeLab logo and not Madman when I went to see Weathering With You, but that could have been more promotion for their streaming. However, there is a lot attached with the Madman brand, so I cant see Sony/Aniplex throwing it away. I mean, there is #MadFest for a reason Wink

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why does this news effect Aniplex's physical release model when this is mostly about the streaming side of things? Funimation has already been streaming Aniplex titles for a year now and their physical releases are still the same. I'm not a big fan of Aniplex myself but I think people are getting their hopes up that this will be the end of them.

This may work the other way too. They may use Funimation for dubbing and streaming, while using Aniplex for the physical releases. Until the Sony buyout, Funi was independent, so their resources may not be up to the standard of Aniplex's so they may choose to consolidate that way.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope not. I'd like to be able to keep buying shows i like
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
What I would like to see happen is Funimation releasing their standard and Limited Editions for all of their shows and Aniplex's while Aniplex of America would focus on making premium editions sets for the better selling shows.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Peter Hunt wrote:
It almost feels like they're just charging extra for the hassle of printing physical media these days.

Because when it comes to limited editions they have to...? Like, it literally costs more to make the limited editions so it makes sense people would pay more to balance the costs...

That was more meaning all anime not just the other versions, but whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3