• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best And Worst Anime Of Summer 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
DanMachi had very underwhelming animation anyway, especially in comparison to the first season. Aisha's two fights were the only nice moments imo

I think that's more the fault of the source material. When I read the original novels, I remember being less impressed with the fights in those two novels than the three peaks ones in the first five.

The real test will be how the big battles upcoming in season 3 will stand up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Favorite of the season, of the year, and favorite anime original series of the decade: Symphogear XV

Nana willed it, and so it was willed into existence, and it was amazing. all thats left is symphogear live 2020 for any information on the series's future, because if the sales are any indication, the series won't stop making gangbusters anytime soon, so something is gonna come out of it by the Symphogear live concert next year either way.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I think that's more the fault of the source material. When I read the original novels, I remember being less impressed with the fights in those two novels than the three peaks ones in the first five.

We'll agree to disagree as we have already on this series and Volume 6 has great fights/chase scenes in my opinion that were very poorly handled in this season.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
Favorite of the season, of the year, and favorite anime original series of the decade: Symphogear XV
I came to say this, was beat to it (fortunately!). I actually watched all of Symphogear from the start for the first time this season because I heard such good things, and boy was I not disappointed.

It's trashy and nonsensical in that aggressively entertaining way, where the creators are clearly having a blast and want the audience to have a blast, and have the chops to execute on that. It's starting to rival Kill La Kill for my favorite dumb action show that gets better and more epic the more it commits to its brand of dumbness, and that's high praise.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
I actually really enjoyed this season, and followed a lot of shows. Maybe I just had a bit more free time because it was summer.

Best: Fruits Basket, Given and O Maidens in Your Savage Season—all three were genuine, honest and true, with characters I cared about and some really great humor; the cherry on top was some of the best weekly reviews I’ve read on this site

Honorable Mention: Demon Slayer (so beautifully animated, and such a Good Boy), Wasteful Days of High School Girls (stupid humor—usually not my thing—but every episode made me laugh), Astra Lost in Space (love me a good sci-fi romp, very nice bunch of kids but kind of a letdown at the end), and Dr. Stone (because science rules!)

Worst/Dropped: Arifureta, for all the reasons everyone’s already mentioned (dropped after 3 eps); Try Knights—it was like watching a college student’s school project (dropped after 4 eps, and can’t believe I made it that far)

Most Disappointing: Cop Craft—was really looking forward to this one, loved the concept, enjoyed the banter between the two leads but, oy, the animation, the pacing, the everything.

Future Binge Watch?: Maybe Vinland Saga—so many recommend it, but have a feeling it’s too grim and realistically violent for me. I see the shout-outs here for Demon Girl Next Door, I’ll have to give it another try.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:32 am Reply with quote
Best: Demon Slayer
This undeniably took the top spot for me without a doubt. I haven't seen any of ufotable's past work as I found the Fate series to be incredibly overwhelming to get into (that and I don't really have a lot of time anymore in my current situation). This show being my first introduction to ufotable's animation work, I am more than impressed by how good it is. What makes it even better is the fact that the plot, writing and characters are able to hold its own as well. With a sequel film currently in the works, I am looking forward to see how much better its gonna look.

Runner-up: Vinland Saga
This might seem like a pretty silly reason to put this as runner-up as compared to what others have to say about the show but I just LIKE the ED song of this show like A LOT. I probably listened it more times than any other song this season. That aside, the story has been pretty promising too but I feel like it's still just warming up right now.

Most Disappointing: Fire Force
I'll admit that I'm not caught up with the show (I think I stopped at episode 5) but I took a guess and thought the show isn't gonna get better anyways and it seems I was right. Looking at all the comments about, it seems the show still suffers from the same kind of shit I dropped it for. Its pretty disappointing too considering I liked Soul Eater and was expecting something on par with it. I loved Death The Kid's whole symmetry shtick but Arthur's right hand/left hand shtick?....... Not so much.

Honorable Mention: Dr. Stone
Takes the spot by default for being the one show I decided not to drop reluctantly. As mentioned earlier, I dropped a few shows reluctantly such as Fruits Basket and Astra Lost in Space due to lack of time but I decided to stay with Dr. Stone cus it managed to keep my intrigue... with the Power of Science of course! This show definitely has the most interesting premise for a story in my opinion and that alone is more than enough to keep me watching.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 am Reply with quote
1st: Vinland Saga (The OP is awesome)

2nd: Fruits Basket (Felt emotional more than once)

3rd: Demon Slayer (EP 19 was sensational)

Honorable Mentions: The Demon Girl Next Door, Wasteful Days of High School Girls, and Dr. Stone.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who is watching Fire Force for the muscle girl?
Since you get the closest thing to a muscle girl right now, unlike Dumbells?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I actually took a read-through of the Fire Force translations on Viz since there was talk about censoring something or other about Princess' backstory in the wake of the KyoAni fire, and...can you believe I found the manga easier to stomach than the anime? I think that, for all the (unexpected? Out-of-place?) fanservice in both versions, I can at least skim through the manga, which means the fanservice bits last as long (or as eye-rollingly little) as I want them to. But the anime? Man, the anime *lingers* on stuff, and it just absolutely KILLS the tone/pacing of whatever's going on at the time. Like other viewers, I dropped this too, maybe in favor of just picking up the manga, because the world-building and characters are solid, and I can just skim past the inappropriately-timed fanservice moments.

EDIT: Also, maybe it's just me, and I don't know this mangaka's work well, but when I see an anime so littered with fanservice, it doesn't make me think "Oh, this guy likes to draw sexy stuff" so much as it's "Oh, this guy doesn't think his story can stand on its own without fanservice to prop it up". I'm sure that the reason is that this guy just reeeeeally likes drawing sexy stuff (and heck, pen names and doujins are a thing, my dude), but it definitely comes off less as "sexy fun times" for times when it would work (bathing scenes, hot springs, beach episodes, whatever), and more like a desperate ploy to maintain a gimmick for attention.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Carole & Tuesday and Yaiba are both from spring. Why are they bening classed as summer?

Anyways:

Best:

Vinland Saga: The best thing from WIT that isn't Attack On Titan.

Runner ups:

Dr. Stone: Surprisingly fun for edutainment. All the tournament Stuff is really boring through.

Astra Lost In Space: WATCH THIS SHOW! This is easily the most underrated show of the summer. Maybe even the year. My only major complaint was the ending.

Worse:

Fire Force: I wouldn't say it's awful, just worse by comparison to the other top shows. The last few episodes have actually been really good.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched Dr Stone and Vinland Saga (but sadly had to drop it for now as my Amazon Prime sub ran out and I have no money. Ugh) and neither of them are what I'd consider candidates for "Worst".

Vinland Saga is no doubt the better of the two, but Dr Stone is super fun. I just had to get used to its wacky nature and learn not to think too much about whether the developments/characters are believable or not.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Carole & Tuesday and Yaiba are both from spring. Why are they bening classed as summer?

Demon Slayer was still airing through the summer season, so I don't see what the problem is there.

So was Carole & Tuesday. Granted, some were probably fudging a bit by basing their rating of the first half that finally started streaming on Netflix in the States, but I don't see a big problem there. I didn't consider it myself only because I didn't have time to watch it before the entries had to be turned in. Now that I have, I feel pretty confident that it's going to make my Top 5 for the year unless the second half really tanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
The pig metaphor might have been the best line I read in an article today had I not just come from another article written by Seanbaby.

I had to go back and read the pig metaphor a couple of times just to appreciate it's greatness some more.

--

I only finished one show this season and that was Symphogear XV. Symphogear has never been amazingly written but I enjoyed it for its trashiness, awesome music and creative weapons/fights.

I want to watch Demon Lord Retry, despite it's terrible animation, because it's sort of fun so far (like, 3 eps in?). I also want to finish watching Okaa-san Online but I might just stick to the novels..
There was stuff I was sort of interested in this season but in the end nothing really kept my attention (other than Symphogear but I binged that from rewatching season 1 to continuing all this month and managed to catch up exactly a week before the last episode so..)
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I only had time for two from this season because of backlogs and other personal matters, but thankfully they were easily put into each category.

Best: Symphogear XV. This show is stupid. It makes no sense. I pity anyone who watches it for a coherent plot. It's the absolute dumbest thing and I am so going to miss watching this please make another videogame and translate it this time but in the meantime I'm going to rewatch the entire thing from the beginning oh my God I'm going to miss you so much Symphogeeeaaaaaarrrrr

Worst: Fire Force. I'm not going to say anything that hasn't been said about the show, besides this: My Hero Academia also has tons of fanservice. The difference is that MHA is a good show with or without it, and Fire Force is not. So don't say 'people are just hating on the fanservice' as an excuse because I've definitely watched/read hentai that told a better plot than this.
Clematis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
Didn't watch many shows yet due to time constraints, but those I managed to squeeze in were worth it.

Best: Fruits Basket (bar for the bloody yeet)

Very good: Vinland Saga (I still find myself rewatching some eps, and the OP/ED are awesome), O Maidens in your savage season (ended a bit abruptly, however)

Dropped: Demon Slayer (episode 1 was all I needed to see to cut it loose. Felt like animation - and a song playing close to the end of the episode - was the only thing the show had going for it, sadly.)

Might give The demon girl next door a chance, given the positive things many are writing about the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6