• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wake Up, Girls! Director Yamakan Returns to Crowdfund 'Magical Girls' Dark Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not at all surprised but, sigh.

Given the way he acted in the aftermath of the fire, him now essentially using it to promote his new anime is especially gross.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm surprised that he just couldn't stay away from anime, but it is pretty on the nose for him to (attempt to) come back with this.

Kougeru wrote:
People always forget that Yamakan is actually not bad at this job. Had personality, but overall pretty good at what he does.

He's really not very good at it. His episodes of Lucky Star, while not as dire as some make them out to be, are not especially good. The one bright point in his resume, Kannagi, was really only good because he was just competent enough to not bugger up good source material. His original works are... not inspired.
metalcoola

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:52 am Reply with quote
Can we say Yamakan might be biggest POS in anime industry?
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
Not only is he using a tragedy to create an anime, but the irony is that he's riffing on the very show that utterly demolished his own when it aired in the same season, Ie, Madoka.
Malsang

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
Yea, no. This is the same guy who, when an idol got stabbed by a crazed fan, said she deserved it because she wasn't properly respectful of her fanbase. The same guy who throws verbal sludge at the anime industry, claiming he is the only one who can save it, then shits out exactly the same tired formulaic garbage when given the opportunity. The same guy who was fired from KyoAni (likely for sexual harassment) and hasn't wasted a day letting the world know about his bitterness over it. The same guy who was removed as director from his *own* project (Wake Up Girls) because he was such a tremendous asshole to work with. The same guy who told Makoto Shinkai to "shut up a minute" on Twitter after Shinkai expressed condolences for KyoAni on the day of the fire, prompting a (well-deserved) 10,000+ tweet chain backlash telling Yamakan to shut up. Yamakan would then go on to claim that he was telling Shinkai to shut up amidst promotion of his own movie during that terrible time, which is why this new promotion exploiting the KyoAni fire is the height of hypocrisy. fudge this guy. The sooner he leaves the anime industry, the better. Forever, not just threatening retirement then coming back a few weeks later, as he has done multiple times in the past.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but Yamakan took a video of himself at the grounds of Kyoto Animation days after the fire. I've never seen a better example of narcissistic crocodile tears. Again, screw this guy.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
Lot of hate here. Lot of which might make some not take what Yamakan said at face value. Many creatives can be problematic, but sometimes that is the fuel to make good things.

So what, there is no problem in using what happened to Kyoto animation as a source of creativity. Nobody has to watch it. There are no guns being held to people's heads. The anime community is not some kind of hive mind, where we all like the same thing or hate the same thing.

As with the Two Towers, and this homicidal arson attack, it is pretty understandable why there are those who don't want to watch it, or think poorly of it being made. But there are those of us who are not bothered by such things. We can watch airline disaster movies while flying on an airplane.

Yamakan's movie attempt may be a dumpster fire, mediocre, or great. But if he is making it with passion, it'll be something.

Vote with your wallet, not condemnation. Those funding the kick starter are.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Lot of hate here. Lot of which might make some not take what Yamakan said at face value. Many creatives can be problematic, but sometimes that is the fuel to make good things.

So what, there is no problem in using what happened to Kyoto animation as a source of creativity. Nobody has to watch it. There are no guns being held to people's heads. The anime community is not some kind of hive mind, where we all like the same thing or hate the same thing.

As with the Two Towers, and this homicidal arson attack, it is pretty understandable why there are those who don't want to watch it, or think poorly of it being made. But there are those of us who are not bothered by such things. We can watch airline disaster movies while flying on an airplane.

Yamakan's movie attempt may be a dumpster fire, mediocre, or great. But if he is making it with passion, it'll be something.

Vote with your wallet, not condemnation. Those funding the kick starter are.

Like others have mentioned, the problem isn't that he is using the tragedy as inspiration per se, but rather that, in the context of both his behavior over the years and specifically his behavior towards the tragedy, his referencing of the tragedy in promoting his new work is appalling.

In recent years he has been known more for making attention-seeking provocations than actually making anime. His main passion these days seems to be lashing out at anyone who disagrees with or criticizes him, be it fellow industry members, professional critics, and even fans (for example, calling people who watch anime after an "appropriate" age disabled. He apologized and said it was wrong to compare otaku to disabled people, saying one should call them bird-brained, dogs, pigs, worms). Sure, some creatives can behave badly, but Yamakan's work has not been good enough to outweigh his bad behavior, as attested to by the fact that few in the industry want to work with him anymore or apparently give him money to make anime, given how he has turned to crowdfunding. With that and his behavior towards the tragedy at his former employer (whom he left on bad terms), his referencing of the tragedy seems less like sincere inspiration for creativity and more like using that tragedy to seek attention and even to profit off of it.

We're voting with our wallets too, as those of us who criticize Yamakan won't be giving one red cent to his projects. Voting with our wallets is important, but I think creators also need to know why we aren't giving them our money, to get a better idea of what specifically went wrong or, at this stage, to indicate whether this is worth putting in the time and effort. So we will vote with our wallets, yes, but we will also criticize and condemn.

Yes, no one is forcing anyone to watch his stuff, but those who continue to fund his work are enabling his behavior and puffing his over inflated ego. The industry has wised up to his behavior, and it's high time that those who are putting money into his crowdfunding projects do so too.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but that is the problem. You have framed this as us vs them. Purposefully trying to deny audiences the chance to see what he can do. That is my point. You don't have to watch what he makes, but trying to control what others want to see is wrong.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Not really. Just as no one is forcing anyone to watch his stuff, no one is putting a gun against the heads of those who would fund his work or watch it. To be clear, I don't think those who are funding this project are bad people. It's not us versus them, as Yamakan has shown no respect to the anime fans who are the audience for his work. If they know everything about Yamakan, his behavior, and how he relates to the tragedy and they still want to see it or put their money down, more power to them. But if someone sees this project, doesn't know anything about him, but sees how the tragedy "inspired" the project, and want to pay into it out of sympathy for that tragedy, I don't think it is wrong to let them know who it is they are giving their money. Even beyond persuasion, there is nothing wrong with criticizing him for this decision or otherwise. Criticism is not coercion. Persuasion is not coercion. No one is trying to control what others watch or like. All we want to say is Yamakan has repeated behaved badly, treats everyone who criticizes him, disagrees with him, or even doesn't like his work like crap, and we do not trust that he isn't just trying to profit off that horrible tragedy with this project, and and you have no right to say we cannot speak our opinions on the matter.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:47 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yes, but that is the problem. You have framed this as us vs them. Purposefully trying to deny audiences the chance to see what he can do. That is my point. You don't have to watch what he makes, but trying to control what others want to see is wrong.
This is how the free market works.
Cabron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
This is how the free market works.
Yeah, so much for free amirite?
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I would be interested in the idea of this, but seeing how he doesn't care about the victims of the Kyoto Animation tragedy, said an idol deserved to be stabbed even? I have never heard of such a disgusting, egotistical, wretched, talentless, unprofessional, impoverished little manchild prick in the anime industry. Wouldn't surprise me if he celebrated the tragedy or something. Evil or Very Mad

I'm sure those "disabled" people have far more brain cells than you even have, Yamakan-chan, sounds to me like you've got the spine of a worm, the brain the size of dog turds, and a walking example as to why some people should never be allowed near anime studios or be allowed to share their weird/terrible [magical girl] anime ideas at all.

Insensitive nature of an egotistical "director" aside, I don't think this may be well received if it does come out, remember what happened when Ohranger came out and why it was flopping? This may end up being just a generic "grimdark magical girl thing" (something that's starting to tire me), or could end up being a disaster on par of Gundress, honestly, I think this guy is just coming off like he had an idea he thought would be popular (jumping on the now generic "grimdark magical girl" bandwagon) and is pretending to be more than he is, wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't know jack about magical girls or something.

It also wouldn't surprise me that if this project does somehow come out and gets a hugely negative reception, he goes around deleting and taking down reviews that criticize and are negative towards it, and even goes so far as to impersonate a law firm to frighten, intimidate and threaten any fans, members of the anime industry/directors who dislike it. I don't think I'm lying when I say he's the Derek Savage of anime directors. Only thing I will say is that I hope this kickstarter doesn't get made or this film bombs at the box office, his egotistical and hungry desire for attention and fame is going to bring him down, I've seen stuff like this before.

Is there a way to translate that crowdfunding website in English, and if so, does it have a report button?
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:08 am Reply with quote
Why is he trying to be a caring person now? It sucks knowing there are people out there who song know anything about him and might support him, thinking that he's being sincere.
Cabron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I would be interested in the idea of this, but seeing how he doesn't care about the victims of the Kyoto Animation tragedy, said an idol deserved to be stabbed even? I have never heard of such a disgusting, egotistical, wretched, talentless, unprofessional, impoverished little manchild prick in the anime industry. Wouldn't surprise me if he celebrated the tragedy or something. Evil or Very Mad

I'm sure those "disabled" people have far more brain cells than you even have, Yamakan-chan, sounds to me like you've got the spine of a worm, the brain the size of dog turds, and a walking example as to why some people should never be allowed near anime studios or be allowed to share their weird/terrible [magical girl] anime ideas at all.

Insensitive nature of an egotistical "director" aside, I don't think this may be well received if it does come out, remember what happened when Ohranger came out and why it was flopping? This may end up being just a generic "grimdark magical girl thing" (something that's starting to tire me), or could end up being a disaster on par of Gundress, honestly, I think this guy is just coming off like he had an idea he thought would be popular (jumping on the now generic "grimdark magical girl" bandwagon) and is pretending to be more than he is, wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't know jack about magical girls or something.

It also wouldn't surprise me that if this project does somehow come out and gets a hugely negative reception, he goes around deleting and taking down reviews that criticize and are negative towards it, and even goes so far as to impersonate a law firm to frighten, intimidate and threaten any fans, members of the anime industry/directors who dislike it. I don't think I'm lying when I say he's the Derek Savage of anime directors. Only thing I will say is that I hope this kickstarter doesn't get made or this film bombs at the box office, his egotistical and hungry desire for attention and fame is going to bring him down, I've seen stuff like this before.

Is there a way to translate that crowdfunding website in English, and if so, does it have a report button?
Lmao reporting isn't going to do anything, but then again I might be wrong.
Anyway google translate is your friend.

Last edited by Cabron on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
Cabron wrote:
Lmao reporting isn't going to do anything, but then again I might be wrong.
Anyway google translate is your friend.

Well if reporting doesn't work, the only other thing to do would be to spread the word and hope that it's either cancelled, delayed indefinitely or bombs when it comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2