• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum moderation: Work to rule?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:42 am Reply with quote
So the forum moderators respond quickly to posts made by blatant spam accounts, but do nothing about rule transgressions?

I'm beginning to suspect reports are also not anonymous, so the moderators can deliberately leave unattended reports submitted weeks ago regarding suspected infractions.

If I leave concrete examples of deliberately unattended forum post reports, I give myself away anyway (assuming it wasn't obvious enough from the moderators' inboxes). Either way, it's becoming increasingly clear forum rules about anything other than spam are a farce as there seems to be no urgency to enforce reports, despite previous claims to taking action when issues are highlighted.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:51 am Reply with quote
Or it may be that they disagree with you about the post in question being an infraction of the rules. In that case they just leave it be.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:58 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Or it may be that they disagree with you about the post in question being an infraction of the rules. In that case they just leave it be.

Previous disagreements removed the block, allowing others who think the same way to report the post again. Now that option is no longer available, which is the lazy way out for the moderators.

The rules don't seem to matter then if the moderators are looking for easy outs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
In the past, I've seen posters complain that ANN is over-moderated, that mods and admins are too intrusive. Now I see this complaint that they are under-moderating and ignoring allegedly clear rule violations. Seems like a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Previous disagreements removed the block, allowing others who think the same way to report the post again. Now that option is no longer available, which is the lazy way out for the moderators.

Our moderators often keep reports open so that we can see a history of previously reported posts that didn't quite cross the line.

If the post still exists and hasn't been moderated, it means that, for now, the moderators disagreed with your report. But the report was left open so that it's there in the history next time another post by that user gets reported.

And yes, we also want to avoid people re-reporting the same post. The moderators have already looked at the post.

Quote:
I'm beginning to suspect reports are also not anonymous, so the moderators can deliberately leave unattended reports submitted weeks ago regarding suspected infractions.

Reports are not anonymous. There shouldn't be anything on ANN that says they are, if there is, point it out to me and I'll fix it.

Sempai Duckie is in the process of bringing in more moderators to help us deal with reported posts faster, and particularly to also help us deal with toxic users.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
So the forum moderators respond quickly to posts made by blatant spam accounts, but do nothing about rule transgressions?

Also keep in mind handling a spam bot, or spam/alt user, is a much simpler matter that requires no discussion. If it's a spam bot just hammer it and be done with it. If it's a blatant spam account, or an alt that can verified is an alt of an existing user, that is also much easier to deal with as there is less discussion needed.

For posts that are from "normal" users, for lack of a better term, it often requires more time and discussion. Is this user a repeat offender (you yourself being one)? Has a particular mod dealt with them before? Does the post get deleted or simply edited? Is it more then just 1 or 2 posts, as in would the thread need a more major clean up?

Now mix into that the facts that mods are volunteers, work other normal jobs and have lives outside these forums, and are not all in the same time zone for discussion. Hell, some are on other continents.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:43 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:

Also keep in mind handling a spam bot, or spam/alt user, is a much simpler matter that requires no discussion. If it's a spam bot just hammer it and be done with it. If it's a blatant spam account, or an alt that can verified is an alt of an existing user, that is also much easier to deal with as there is less discussion needed.

For posts that are from "normal" users, for lack of a better term, it often requires more time and discussion. Is this user a repeat offender (you yourself being one)? Has a particular mod dealt with them before? Does the post get deleted or simply edited? Is it more then just 1 or 2 posts, as in would the thread need a more major clean up?

Now mix into that the facts that mods are volunteers, work other normal jobs and have lives outside these forums, and are not all in the same time zone for discussion. Hell, some are on other continents.

Oh I'm well aware the moderators are busy people and don't spend their waking hours on forum moderation. I'm also aware you lot don't give a damn about me since I've been under your "supervision" for previous transgressions.

What does annoy me is what I believe to be the uneven nature of rule enforcement. They're quite clear with what is allowed and not allowed, yet I've been hit with far worse than just moderated and deleted posts for far fewer strikes than what I've seen others get away with for at least three months.

If this is locked and the discussion closed, so be it. That's within my expectations. At least I get some insight into what the moderators actually bother with after the button is pressed and have some comfort that not all of the reports sent through are a complete waste of my time.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
At least I get some insight into what the moderators actually bother with after the button is pressed and have some comfort that not all of the reports sent through are a complete waste of my time.

Every report is read. Another thing to take into account is what is actually REPORTED to the mods. Mods cannot check every thread with new posts every day. Hence the report button. There's also PM'ing a mod directly if you're curious why or why not something was done. Which hardly anyone ever does.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:25 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:

Every report is read. Another thing to take into account is what is actually REPORTED to the mods. Mods cannot check every thread with new posts every day. Hence the report button. There's also PM'ing a mod directly if you're curious why or why not something was done. Which hardly anyone ever does.

Hence the purpose of the thread, to satisfy my curiosity on what happened to my reports. It's somewhat sated, as I find out a little more about what goes on at the back-end prior to me asking. Since the moderators as mentioned multiple times here are beyond busy, no point with the PMs from complete strangers with criminal records.

I'll have to take your word for it that internal discussion is ongoing, although it's a glacial pace since the moderators have more pressing matters like real life to attend to before handling an unpaid side gig.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:51 am Reply with quote
On a related note, I am flabbergasted that this post has been up since early Wednesday. And it's been reported by someone. This is a no-brainer.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:57 am Reply with quote
user: gemmawa is a spambot. Immediate action is required.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:20 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
user: gemmawa is a spambot. Immediate action is required.

Hey nobahn! Just checked gemmawa and he/she is already classified as a spambot Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1