• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime of Fall 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Certain reported changes to the plot of Make My Abilities Average have taken it off my anticipated list, though I'll still at least watch the first episode to see how bad it really is. (Tweaks to the story aren't generally that big of a deal, but uh... you'll see what I mean. Or you can read the review on here.)

So I guess that leaves... nothing. (Other than the obligatory Hero Academia.) Not that that's unusual, I don't tend to read a lot of manga or otherwise keep up with the hot trends in anime hype. Sounds like Beastars a.k.a. Edgy Zootopia is the popular thing, and will require equally edgy techniques to actually watch it... ahem... seems worth a look, though. The others mentioned here don't look interesting to me, but you never know.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Beastars a.k.a. Edgy Zootopia is the popular thing, and will require equally edgy techniques to actually watch it... ahem... seems worth a look, though.

Beastars, IMO, is neither edgy nor trying to be. Remember that when people say its a more serious version of Zootopia, that Zootopia is a disney movie. Simply acknowledging the existence of sex makes a series more "dark and edgy" than the average disney movie
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Simply acknowledging the existence of sex makes a series more "dark and edgy" than the average disney movie

Which is... exactly what I said. So, what's your point? Has "edgy" been reclassified as a slur or something?

I'm not saying it's bad, I already said I'd probably check it out and that I know nothing about it beyond what's in this article. Heck, I haven't seen Zootopia, either.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
^
"edgy" as an adjective has zero value of describing the virtues of a series. *Zero*. Nada.

Just read the manga and see for yourself why it has become one of the most anticipated shows of the season. Sex/violence is not the main reason for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I dont get the argument about Netflix hijacking anything. The average American household probably has what feels like multiple netflix accounts each, and in reality Id wager something well over 50 percent of the populous has access to it, and if you talk about second hand accounts that jumps.

Also how is that any different to a show showing exclusive on say crunchyroll. Honestly a show being on netflix probably gives an anime its largest possible audience for an anime; much larger than any standard anime gets. So those comments make no sense.

And honestly if you can afford the what 12 bucks a month that netflix costs, you really shouldnt be indulging in a luxury good like anime in the first place. Go get a real job, and move out of the basement.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
^The Netflix thing isn’t really about availability. People just don’t like to wait, especially for a show that they are really looking forward to. Netflix’s all at once binge model means they only release a show after it’s finished (or at least one cours is finished), which means waiting. There are other criticisms of the Netflix binge model of course, but the most pressing issue is that we can’t watch them as they air, as we have become accustomed to on the other streaming services. Personally, I’ve made my peace with it, but I don’t think complaining about it is unwarranted.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
People say that Netflix "hijacks" series because even when they license a show that airs weekly in Japan, they hold back the series for months and then dump an entire season on the service at once. That's fine for shows that Netflix produces and that aren't available elsewhere, but these anime series are already out in the wild...except that the rest of the world can't see them. It's a totally-artificial restriction because, as the article says, Netflix seems to think that the only way people should consume media is by bingeing, even though there are many of us uninterested in that model.

(Gah, sniped!)
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
meiam wrote:
Huh so beastars is a serious story? Every time I saw an add or something about it, my brain just shut it down cause the artstyle just screamed softcore furry, plus the way the title is always in all caps is just super obnoxious (not that I have anything against furry, everyone has there kink, that one just isn't mine).

Yes Beastars is a serious story & it also majorly includes romance with some sexual scenes. One of the major parts of the story is that predators have an innate need to consume herbivores so cannibalism or predation is a common topic in the series.

Oh god, now they're even throwing vore in there!
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
meiam wrote:
Huh so beastars is a serious story? Every time I saw an add or something about it, my brain just shut it down cause the artstyle just screamed softcore furry, plus the way the title is always in all caps is just super obnoxious (not that I have anything against furry, everyone has there kink, that one just isn't mine).

Yes Beastars is a serious story & it also majorly includes romance with some sexual scenes. One of the major parts of the story is that predators have an innate need to consume herbivores so cannibalism or predation is a common topic in the series.

Oh god, now they're even throwing vore in there!

Vore and cannibalism/predation aren't the same thing. The theme is more about comparing predators' meat-eating urges to sexual urges.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I shall be one of the three people watching Africa Salarymen and deciding for all of you if it's better than the other furry show of the season. You're welcome.

If I'm not counting sequels, Kemono Michi, BEASTARS and Abilities Average are all I'm watching, so I'm going to instead do count the sequels and say I'm really looking forward to Gundam Build Divers Re: Fw: Your Reply, because Builders are the only good Gundams I've finished I've finished two other Gundams
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
My Hero Academia S4, Sword Art Online Alicization War of Underworld, and Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise for me.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 pm Reply with quote
MHA season 4 and Hi Score Girl season 2 later on this month for me Smile
scowler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode of Ascendance of a Bookworm at Crunchyroll Expo. That one was good, I’m surprised nobody has it on their list.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Given Beastars is being held up by Netflix, the fall original show I'm most looking forward to is Ascendance of a Bookworm. It looks like a very cute and fresh take on the isekai genre and the animation and character designs look impressive from the PVs. Sequel wise I'm most looking forward to the continuation of SAO Alicization.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Yes Beastars is a serious story & it also majorly includes romance with some sexual scenes.

>furry
>sexual content

That's a hard pass, chief.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4