• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Cautious Hero (3.5 out of 5) - It was fairly funny and the idea of a fantasy world with a Hero and Demon Lord that are both incredibly cautious is an interesting premise. I do wonder though how well the caution related humor will work after several episodes. Ironically the goddess in this show is closer to Aqua than any of the characters that were seen in the first episode of Kemono Michi.

Kemono Michi (4.5 out of 5) - I laughed more during this episode than I have with any other episode this year which is not a surprise since it was written by the author of KonoSuba. Kemono Mask is a hero whose love for animal girls is understandable but his love for animals gets a little concerning. I am going to guess that this will be one of those divisive anime comedies where some people will love it while some people will hate it. The furry stuff is not my cup of tea but I give the author props for taking the love of animals to the logical conclusion where Kemono Mask can make friends with a giant ant.

kotomikun wrote:
Quote:
The easiest pitch for Cautious Hero is “did you like KONOSUBA? Then there is a tremendous chance you'll like Cautious Hero.”

Presumably the reverse applies, as well, so... probably a pass for me. Given the very simple premise, it likely continues to lean heavily into "horrible people comedy," my least favorite type. And it's only on Funimation, anyway.

I think the comparisons between Cautious Hero and KonoSuba is because of the wacky comedy and the aggressive personality of the goddess. The hero and goddess in Cautious Hero don't get along because of their conflicting personalities but they aren't trying to be rude so it is a different character setup than KonoSuba.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
On a related note, I think it's funny that Konosuba comes up way more in the reviews of Cautious Hero, even though Kemono Michi was written by the original creator of Konosuba (actually Konosuba hasn't come up in the latter's reviews at all so far).

Yeah, I did find that interesting as well. I think most people who have seen both would agree that Kemono Michi is taking a different angle on humor (despite being by the same author) while Cautious Hero is more trying to ape Konosuba (despite not being by the same author).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
^While there are some similarities between Cautious Hero and Konosuba, when you look closer, there are differences as well. In addition to what Chrono1000 pointed out about the differences in the goddess characters, I’d say Ristarte also plays the opposite role in the comedy of Aqua, playing the straight man against Seiya’s overcautiousness whereas Kazuma generally plays the straight man against Aqua (though Konosuba’s anime It’s-Always-Sunny-in-Philadelphia qualities mean that role shifts around). And while Cautious Hero’s face game is on point when it comes to Ristarte, it is no where near as flagrantly loose as Konosuba in that regard. While Kemono Michi is a different story and different jokes as a result, I do still sense the same spirit behind the comedy, even if it doesn’t have the same degree of everyone’s the a**hole It’s Always Sunny style humor.

Moreover, I’d say there is a character in a show coming up who is an even better comparison to Aqua in a sense, though there are important differences given the difference in genres between the shows.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Rise up is one of those things you just have to experience for yourself as words really can't do it's absurd premise the justice it deserves.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:26 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The hero and goddess in Cautious Hero don't get along because of their conflicting personalities but they aren't trying to be rude so it is a different character setup than KonoSuba.

It may not be the exact same thing, but the comedy setup of "people who can't get along are stuck with each other" rarely works for me. The Office is the standard example of this, can't stand it. Always comes off as uncomfortable instead of funny. (A moderate amount of friction-humor is fine in some cases, but not when it's the main attraction.)

Ironically, given that it's apparently by the author of Konosuba, Rise Up actually sounds pretty funny, but I'd have to break my "only one anime streaming service" rule to watch it.
Netero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:24 am Reply with quote
LoGH continues to thrill and disappoint. From a technical point of view it's almost flawless, but it still suffers from being too true a remake with all the main roles still being male and space still being unremittingly flat. Haven't the fleet commanders realised yet that space is three dimensional and so encirclement doesn't work because you can always go above it or below it?
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:07 am Reply with quote
After School Dice Club was really solid. I don’t have the names down but as somebody who has had anxiety problems in the past I felt SO much empathy for the lead character. The others were fun too - overly exuberant friend losing consistently was great.

Admittedly, part of the draw for me was all those lovingly placed board games. They’re playing 6 Nimmt! in the opening at the end and I adore that game; likewise the shelves are nothing but board game fan service and spotting things from my collection was a real treat.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:30 am Reply with quote
So Duck Sky was ok, though I think they misappropriated the word duck for their wordplay. Certainly good enough for me, since I've come to accept that apparently I have extremely low standards for sports anime. Smile Having a Pillows opener and a fine cast that includes Yuki Kaji and Takahiro Sakurai just seals the deal. And the character designs are already growing on me. I just hope it doesn't become Cliffhanger Sky, as the first ep forebodes.

Petshop Wrestler was interesting, but I think a little too...something, for my tastes. I think I might have liked it better if he didn't seem so brain-damaged from his wrestling or whatever his problem is. The puppy is cute.

Over-prepared Hero didn't wow me, but I think I'll give it at least one more episode to see what it does with Chaos Machina.

Joro's Bizarre Love Adventure might be a keeper. I dislike Joro in a good way, and Sun seems nice. The abrupt change in tone in the second half was fairly creative, and I got a chuckle out of whatever that vocalization was that Joro made when he saw the bench in the library. His two original targets kinda deserve him, but it's hard to say what Pansy's after, so I'll at least stick around to see what her deal is.

Dice Club was more entertaining than expected, but I doubt I'll make it through to the end. Takoyakishiki is a bit too genki for me despite her exploratory nature, and Miki, while I appreciate her desire for solitude, is too big a crybaby to warm up to. More characters might help. I'll probably hang around to see what games they get up to.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
LoGH continues to thrill and disappoint. From a technical point of view it's almost flawless, but it still suffers from being too true a remake with all the main roles still being male and space still being unremittingly flat. Haven't the fleet commanders realised yet that space is three dimensional and so encirclement doesn't work because you can always go above it or below it?

I remember being massively disappointed when the remake came out to find out that the "incredible" tactician that had being hyped over the last few decades were actually kinda huge idiots. But somebody in the weekly thread explained that apparently the battle are made to be reminiscent of bronze age tactics (despite sharing almost none of the fundamental aspect).

Also... Is this the season of the furry? With Rise up (and possibly Africa salaryman) we might have three furry shows this season.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
So looks like my post was removed, it was probably because I replied to a namecalling, sorry about that, won't do that again Embarassed

Now that's out of the way, here's how I see things after watching the first episodes of everything I've been interested so far:

Bookworm was lovely, but it looks like a slow burner, so it probably won't be for everyone - as we've seen with the impressions - but I'll definitely stick with it. I laughed at the "No spoilers!" comment at the end Very Happy

Cautious Hero might be not my thing since it only has exactly one joke, but at least it's pretty. I'll give it at least a few more episodes. At least the villains are looking to be self-aware, so they'll probably won't to be pushovers, which is a welcome in an isekai.

Dice Club looks like to be my thing. Hope they're going to spend more time actually playing boardgames next episode, it was a fairly short segment in this one, but I guess they needed to introduce the characters first. Twintails girl is my favorite so far.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Star Wars Resistance S02 This is still a real anime and one of the few interesting Polygon Pictures productions. (Transformers: Robots in Disguise is their best work btw.
It would be considered outsourcing, and even then it is still being made in part by Lucasfilm Animation. Plus other shows have been outsourced to Japan and are not considered Anime, Ducktales for example was outsourced to TMS Entertainment.
DLH112

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
Rebecca's 'Bookworm' review confuses me a bit...

1. Myne does know about books being expensive / hand-written before the printing press, she monologues about it around 9:30.

2. She just woke up inside an old looking wooden house in another world. She has no reason to associate customs she's read about with a most likely unrelated location over trying to be comfortable and cleanly.

If she specialized or only read history, and this was a historical setting then sure. But that was one of many subjects mentioned, and besides, within the first minute or so of the episode they use magic...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
The store manager's attitude is also problematic, even if it is meant somewhat as a joke. That's the kind of attitude which can scare off new gamers and would be heavily frowned upon by industry professionals.

But that is EXACTLY why his position is played up for first-view laughs here. It's that kind of ironic humor that you can expect to see in anime.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm in love kemono michi. This show is so funny

Poopoo on you for your distaste james!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
DLH112 wrote:
Rebecca's 'Bookworm' review confuses me a bit...

1. Myne does know about books being expensive / hand-written before the printing press, she monologues about it around 9:30.

2. She just woke up inside an old looking wooden house in another world. She has no reason to associate customs she's read about with a most likely unrelated location over trying to be comfortable and cleanly.

If she specialized or only read history, and this was a historical setting then sure. But that was one of many subjects mentioned, and besides, within the first minute or so of the episode they use magic...

yup, indeed; another isekai work that has full baby reincarnation makes it clear that the first thign that comes to mind is being reincarnated in a third world country; it takes a while (in plot years) for the mc to realize it was a completely different world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17