• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Demon Girl Next Door

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
And this is what I think is the biggest problem with the American school system. (And similarly a lack of real national system is the biggest problem with many things in America, but again, the subjects of other rants...)

Oh, the American school system has much bigger problems than that. However, a national system will never happen in the U.S. because education is a responsibility relegated to the states by the Constitution. That and other things not being nationalized is partly because the attitude of being distrustful of a national government with too much power is very deeply-ingrained in many (especially rural) parts of the country.

But this discussion is causing some serious topic drift, so I won't pursue it further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I did watch Demon Girl Next Door during the Summer 2019 season, and thought it was okay with some sweet moments. However the show did not seem to hook me enough. Plus I had trouble following the subtitles at times given how fast they moved (which is due to how fast the characters were talking). At some point I fell off from watching it.

I was thinking the story picks up at some point with certain points that were brought up coming together around the end of the series, and reading this review confirms this. I might go back to watching this anime at some point, but it might be more comfortable for me if I read the manga the anime is base on instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am Reply with quote
Wow. This comment thread sure got weird.

Yuvelir wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:
Thanks for the insight, I've had this feeling something was off, I just could find the right words for it and I wasn't as level-headed.

Probably because most professional translations do NOT hyperlocalize to the point of trying to hide basic but known cultural differences, specially anime ones which have been shaped by their fanbase.
So when someone does do it, it stands out.
And then there's metrics which are always guaranteed to lift off a ton of dust.

It's worth noting that my personal background is in literary and academic translation, and that game/anime translation is a bit... different. Personally I think the core ethics of translation are universal, but I have to acknowledge that, in practice, mass-media entertainment is held to a different, arguably lesser standard.

Like, for me, I translate with the implicit understanding that my audience--the readers--know, understand and accept that they're reading a translation. With entertainment media, however, there is often a desire to obfuscate that process--to make the media in question appear, at least superficially, to be as similar as possible as a product of the culture it's being translated to. This can make localization a difficult tight-rope to walk, and "overlocalization" in this respect is as likely to produce translations that are very well received (the Ace Attorney games, for example) or very poorly (remember 4Kids? Robotech?). It's an especially difficult line to walk today, because on the one hand you want the translation to be as accessible as possible to new audiences unfamiliar with anime in general, while also pleasing to long-time fans that are very familiar with the media.

So basically we get weird little situations like this where the needs of marketing trump the needs of a solid translation ethic.

Which I don't think is a necessarily bad thing, as it generates discussion, and I think it's a net positive for both the people crafting the translation and the audience consuming it to consider and discuss the process. I can promise you, you really don't see this much discussion surrounding 18th century German poetry.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I had trouble following the subtitles at times given how fast they moved (which is due to how fast the characters were talking).

This is probably the biggest weakness of Demon Girl Next Door and no doubt the reason it (along with Wasteful Days of High School Girls) ended on hidive instead of Crunchy or Funi. You need to either be used to pause repeatedly or have fast reading skills or have some level of fluency in japanese and all of the above would reduce the viewer pool for this series.

Chances are this will be added (right behind Witch Craft Works) to the list of JC Staff animes that deserve IMO a second season Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4