• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III THE FIRST CG Anime Film's Trailer Reveals Guest Cast, Story

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow. The animation looks really great.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who's still struggling to get used to that 3D CG animation?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
A lot of 3DCG stuff has looked like the difficulties of getting the technology to produce images displaced the story.

John Lasseter used to say that it was important that Pixar contributors be animators first, and that the computer technology was just the medium. You can see this in a lot of Pixar's work.

That Lupin trailer makes it look like a 3DCG film coming from Japan is being driven by the animators, more than the technology, at last.

Last edited by dm on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Zega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a generic Lupin movie to me.....something is missing in these trailers
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Looks good to me, but I've never liked the trend of hiring film actors to do voices though. This films Clarisse clone sounds really bad.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:38 am Reply with quote
Zega wrote:
Looks like a generic Lupin movie to me.....something is missing in these trailers

You think this looks like a LUPIN film?!?
I think it looks more like something Pixar would make and that's the problem!

Lupin isn't Pixar, and the character designs look just a bit too cute here.
Lupin isn't supposed to be cute.
That was an issue I had with Castle of Cagliostro and the female characters looking like Nausicaa clones...
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:50 am Reply with quote
CGI Lupin looks like Robbie Rotten. Some things should not be attempted.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:11 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Zega wrote:

You think this looks like a LUPIN film?!?
I think it looks more like something Pixar would make and that's the problem!

Lupin isn't Pixar, and the character designs look just a bit too cute here.
That was an issue I had with Castle of Cagliostro and the female characters looking like Nausicaa clones...

Yeah, Lupin is my series, that's my fandom as my grand kids would say. I like the idea of this appealing as a more family friendly movie, but this isn't Lupin to me at all. So, I can completely agree with the statement that the Pixil 3DCG is too cutesy, but the comment, "That was an issue I had with Castle of Cagliostro and the female characters looking like Nausicaa clones" was pretty funny to me since that Lupin movie there pre-dates Nausica by five years; so it's the other way around Wink
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Am I the only one who's still struggling to get used to that 3D CG animation?

Why are you struggling?
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Looks good to me, but I've never liked the trend of hiring film actors to do voices though. This films Clarisse clone sounds really bad.

the other two actors sounds pretty decent, but yeah Suzu Hirose's acting is sticking like a sore thumb,
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I think it looks more like something Pixar would make

Yeah you have not seen a 3rd of Pixar's films if you think this looks even remotely similar to anything Pixar would make. Pixar is not the only studio that makes CG films you know.

GeorgeC wrote:
Lupin isn't Pixar,

Lupin isn't supposed to be disney yet remind me of what studio was a likely influence for Castle of Cagliostro?

GeorgeC wrote:

It was already absurd when someone around here made this same comment about Fujiko after the first trailer was shown off but now this is even weirder. You make it sound like Lupin is this hard borderline gonkish looking guy.

OjaruFan2 wrote:
Why are you struggling?

If I had to assume it's the obligatory "I prefer Traditional 2D animation to any other form of animation" defense.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:11 am Reply with quote
This looks amazing!!! I can't wait to see it!! I hope it somehow makes it overseas.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
This looks amazing!!! I can't wait to see it!! I hope it somehow makes it overseas.

It will. Not sure who’ll license it, but I’m pretty sure it’ll get released in other countries sometime next year.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
This film looks promising and I hope it turns out to be good. The characters really adapt well to CGI and it maintains that cartoonish look of the anime version.

GeorgeC wrote:
Well, Miyazaki was also a manga author and it's not unusual for them to recycle character designs. I recall even the way Monkey Punch drew women in the original 60's manga all looked like variations of Fujiko. It's like how Leiji Matsumoto's women look like Maetel in some way. Laughing
Jex2193 wrote:

It will. Not sure who’ll license it, but I’m pretty sure it’ll get released in other countries sometime next year.
Probably TMS themselves, as they've brought over other recent Lupin content and had it distributed by Discotek.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it looks pretty boilerplate TV special-ish Lupin III to me, just with the novelty of being CG. I can imagine it being utterly toothless compared to stuff like Fujiko's Lie, or even the more recent TV shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2