• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna's Civil Case Against Funimation, Voice Actress Monica Rial, Ron Toye Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Propagating what are essentially rumors and hearsay to appeal to the public is a joke and a disservice to the actual justice system. Most trials are done by jury and if the jury pool is tainted by excessive slander and misinformation of the masses and mass media then jury selection will be poisoned. You will either draw the poison water and lead to an instant guilty verdict regardless of the evidence or be so careful and handle it with kid gloves to such an extent that your essentially stacking it the other way.

I couldnt care less if he actually did or didn't do any of this in the end though. Its more about how we as a people treat these situations as some kind of public call to justice to form a mob and hang them. Its a dangerous path for society.

It never ceases to amaze me how dismissive people are to reality. You argue for the justice system but conveniently leave how difficult it is to have those in authority to listen, let alone prove what has happened. Women shouldn’t have to ignore party consent laws and go around 24/7 recording every action in the hopes that it will be enough to finally prove their claims.

In cases like this, when crimes are difficult to prove “beyond a shadow of a doubt”, I think it’s a matter to public service to speak out regarding bad encounters. Warning people about someone else out of safety should be as important as “tainting potential juries” if not more because of how difficult it is prove them. Allow the individual to decide the weight instead of no amount is worth even consideration. Vic has been the target of first-hand accounts from fans and con staff for nearly 20 years- this isn’t hearsay or rumors- it’s personal testimony. What I consider a dangerous path is when someone refuses to even consider the testimony of others and remain shrugging off accounts. Vic admitted to the encounters that Sony investigated, he just denied the force and in one, the sexual nature.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
If he didn't try to sue Funimation/Sony, he probably would have had a chance.

Not suing Funimation/Sony wouldn't magically change either the law or the flimsy assumptions and sketchy evidence behind the other claims. The only thing that would have helped him is to hire competent counsel (if he could find one willing to besmirch their reputation with such a garbage heap of a case). Even then, he'd only have two snowball's chances rather than one.

That's the thing the stans don't grasp - this case was (as actual lawyers have repeatedly explained) all but foredoomed from the start. The only real way to change things would be to not have acted like a scumbag in the first place.

In which case, we wouldn't even be here...
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
getumbuck wrote:
If he didn't try to sue Funimation/Sony, he probably would have had a chance.

Not suing Funimation/Sony wouldn't magically change either the law or the flimsy assumptions and sketchy evidence behind the other claims. The only thing that would have helped him is to hire competent counsel (if he could find one willing to besmirch their reputation with such a garbage heap of a case). Even then, he'd only have two snowball's chances rather than one.

That's the thing the stans don't grasp - this case was (as actual lawyers have repeatedly explained) all but foredoomed from the start. The only real way to change things would be to not have acted like a scumbag in the first place.

In which case, we wouldn't even be here...

I'm just saying if you don't bite the hand that feeds you, there's always a chance at coming back. Just look what happened to James Gunn; he handled his firing like a true professional and 6 months later got his job back. Vic however choose to burn all of his bridges on his way out the door, so the odds aren't exactly in his favor
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:
C'mon man. Is there no justice? Will Vic get his job back?

Would you want to work with somebody who sued you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
This entire thread and the entire situation about these accusations or any public accusations just annoys the hell out of me. As a society everyone has forgotten that someone is innocent until proven guilty and its become a joke.

Except

A) This was not a criminal case.
B) Vic wasn't the defendant in this case.
C) As some people have mentioned he essentially admitted to some of the things he was accused of that got him fired in the first place.

Halko wrote:

Propagating what are essentially rumors and hearsay to appeal to the public is a joke and a disservice to the actual justice system.

Unless it's Vic's supporters doing this on twitter and youtube then it's okay?

Halko wrote:
Most trials are done by jury and if the jury pool is tainted by excessive slander and misinformation of the masses and mass media then jury selection will be poisoned.

Except the rare instances in which a judge can toss the case out if he feels one side isn't doing their due diligence in making a case.
ThugsBunny3840

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Man, this was one hot mess of a 10 month endeavor. I'd like to say that that most of the heat, especially on Twitter, would die down, with the trial being over, but more than likely, it won't.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
ThugsBunny3840 wrote:
Man, this was one hot mess of a 10 month endeavor. I'd like to say that that most of the heat, especially on Twitter, would die down, with the trial being over, but more than likely, it won't.

No one expected the cult of Vic to stop any time soon, they’re probably still going into every Twitter post Funi does and write “sacred ointment” or “casting couch” it’s also pretty scummy that they wrote this crap on a post about the Kyoto Animation fire.
n1nn1nn1n

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:

Justice did happen: an abuser tried to take his victims to court and now he owes over hundreds of thousands of dollars, has tanked his own reputation, and is now reduced to attending cons in dead malls (and in a dimly lit basement aka panel room at best). Sounds like plenty of justice.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Icing on the cake: Toei Animation tweeted Monica Rial a happy birthday. The same Toei Animation that was reportedly "taking the Dragon Ball license away from Funimation due to the poor behavior of their voice actors." The amount of salt generated from that one tweet is so immense and so potent, I never have to buy salt again. Laughing

But in all seriousness, I'm glad this failed and the defendants don't have to pay a cent. Hopefully the sanctions are high enough that VM can't afford to appeal, but unfortunately that sounds like their next sad course of action. Dude just needs to quit while he's...behind.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:

Oh Justice was served. Don't you worry about that. And no. Would you hire a guy who would potentially sue you for literally no good reason? No one worth their salt wants that kind of mess.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I am reminded of that Reddit screenshot going around Twitter that says "I think what most (people) are missing is that this isn't about right and wrong, it's about winning and losing. I've attached my entire worldview to this man and I am going down with the ship. Not one of you is going to convince me otherwise."

It wasn't written about Vic, but it sure fits him and his fanbase nonetheless.
bones2039

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
From the start of Vic's downfall, I've believed his best course of action has always been to seek help to learn why his actions have made countless people uncomfortable and make people see him as a creep. He chose to continue to ignore the mounting evidence over the years that made him out as a creepy, sexual predator. His fate in this ill advised law suit wasn't surprising. It deserved this result.

That said, I still hope Vic finally understands he needs to get help. I honestly think he is "that guy" amongst his peers that just never really fit in and when he did things with his peers it was seen in a different light than if others did it. I'm not trying to excuse his actions. He has to admit his mistakes and seek forgiveness. And if his victims don't want to forgive him, that's absolutely their right.
Halko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
I am reminded of that Reddit screenshot going around Twitter that says "I think what most (people) are missing is that this isn't about right and wrong, it's about winning and losing. I've attached my entire worldview to this man and I am going down with the ship. Not one of you is going to convince me otherwise."

The fact is that if nothing came of all of this and he still had his job the other side of the argument would be acting the exact same way. People get far too invested in shit like this. When everyone rides the mob mentality logic and reason goes out the window on every side of an issue.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Kilgamayan wrote:

The fact is that if nothing came of all of this and he still had his job the other side of the argument would be acting the exact same way. People get far too invested in shit like this. When everyone rides the mob mentality logic and reason goes out the window on every side of an issue.

I mean of course people would be pissed if he still kept his job. Ya kinda don’t want an abuser working with the people he’s hurt.

It’s like basic common sense.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
I mean take what happened to James Gunn for example, when everyone was calling him a child molester a year ago, just because he made some bad jokes, ten years ago. Literally every person he ever worked with came to bat for him and said he was a good person, heck even members of the MeToo movement came out to support him. The guy made a vow to change and become a better person in 2013 and it shows, simply by how many people love and support him in 2019. He didn't suddenly decide to sue Disney or have his fans attack people online who leaked the story. He excepted his lose as a professional and moved on to new gigs and even got his old job back after about 6 months.

That situation is not comparable at all. James Gunn was fired for jokes, not sexual misconduct. It had nothing to do with #MeToo or Vic's situation. That's why James Gunn is just fine while Al Franken is still being harassed by people after laying low for 2 years and people are trying to cancel him. Big difference.

But conveniently we have the Chris Niosi situation as well. He was recently fired from voice acting by Nintendo for sexual misconduct. He admitted and took his firing with grace and is bettering himself We can check back in with him in a year and see if he's back at Nintendo. A bit of a 'what if Vic just admitted to everything people accused him of and begged for forgiveness" experiment. I would personally say no, of course Chris won't be getting hired back by them, but stranger things have happened I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12