• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna's Civil Case Against Funimation, Voice Actress Monica Rial, Ron Toye Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
He brought all of this on himself, can't say I'm not pretty pleased with how its all turned out (not that I'm surprised).

Now I just sincerely hope the on-going harassment targeted towards Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial, their VO industry supporters, reporters covering the story, etc... dies down to a significant degree. Its awful that some people are so delusional that even this verdict will not sway them.

It's just human nature, sad to say. People have a hard time admitting when they're wrong and look for excuses where ever they can find them. There will be many who say "Funimation/Sony bribed the judge" or "Monica and Jamie got special treatment for being women" and so on and so on. If nothing else some of these excuses/lies, will be fun to read, it's just sad that some people actually believe them.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The only way to have not seen this coming is if you were actively looking in the opposite direction.

Which, of course, a lot of people did.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Yeah, Vic should have settled yesterday, he really should have because even though there was no chance in hell he would be walking away with the defendant's money, he could have settled to pay their costs AND have it privately hidden from the public. It could have saved him the humiliation of losing spectacularly.

But now, since all the charges have been dismissed, there will be another hearing later on to determine the sanctions, and THAT decision will be made public, so the whole world will now that Vic is being fined, how much, and why.

I can't imagine the defendants were at all interested in giving him a break, considering how weak it was. They had every reason to expect a dismissal. So now, he's headed to the poor house.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:
now to find out how high the tendrils of Big Dubbing have climbed up the appellate court ladder to snuff out this incredibly legitimate lawsuit

If he intends to do that the first order of business is to find a more competent lawyer. It shouldn't be hard, but that's because Beard provided an extremely low hurdle to clear. The only way Vic's case could have been represented worse is if his lawyer had screamed "My client is guilty!" at the top of his lungs for the opening argument.

I joked once that a worse lawyer could not be found, had Charles Manson represented himself in a slander lawsuit against the New York Times.

But with things like appeals, Vic will have to have a lawyer who could find some procedural violation based off all the evidence that was provided in the court. New evidence cannot be considered. Also having a crap attorney in the original case would not be sufficient for an appeal. Because there would need to be a compelling case that Vic could have survived not just the TCPA stage, but also the summary judgement, AND get a successful outcome from a jury.

Here is something to ponder, Vic's awful lawyer submitted Vic's deposition in its entirety to the judge. This includes the statements Vic made at the depo where he admits to pulling Jamie's hair, where he admits to asking a crude sexual proposition to twin sisters. etc. etc.

Vic's attorney gave the judge this as evidence for the judge to read and consider. That's like if OJ had an attorney that had a video tape of the whole thing and just played it in front of the jury "Hey look, I got this tape from my client, here let's watch it."
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

Yeah, Vic should have settled yesterday, he really should have because even though there was no chance in hell he would be walking away with the defendant's money, he could have settled to pay their costs AND have it privately hidden from the public. It could have saved him the humiliation of losing spectacularly.

But now, since all the charges have been dismissed, there will be another hearing later on to determine the sanctions, and THAT decision will be made public, so the whole world will now that Vic is being fined, how much, and why.

I can't imagine the defendants were at all interested in giving him a break, considering how weak it was. They had every reason to expect a dismissal. So now, he's headed to the poor house.

I think the only thing that they could have been enticed by would be Vic publically disavowing Rekeita and forcefully asking his fans to stop the harassment.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

That's possible too. I haven't considered that the defendants might not have been interested in a settlement.

Of course, since Sept 17th at that mediation request hearing, the judge all but said out loud he was going to dismiss the remaining charges.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
And Vic’s fans will continue to make videos about the situation I bet
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
I think the only thing that they could have been enticed by would be Vic publically disavowing Rekeita and forcefully asking his fans to stop the harassment.

I'm not sure if there's anything that anybody could do, especially at this point, to stop idiots from being idiots.

ranran-001 wrote:
That's possible too. I haven't considered that the defendants might not have been interested in a settlement.

Of course, since Sept 17th at that mediation request hearing, the judge all but said out loud he was going to dismiss the remaining charges.

They only did mediation because, IIRC, it was required under case law or procedure or something like that. That they went to mediation wasn't supposed to be taken as a statement of the merits of Vic's case (which was, of course, meritless).

I wonder how many lawyers passed on representing him in this case, if any warned him this would happen. I don't have any sympathy for him, of course.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Am I wrong in noting that The Amazing Mr. Beard didn't even try to enter mediation until the day of the deadline?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:

I'm not sure if there's anything that anybody could do, especially at this point, to stop idiots from being idiots.

ranran-001 wrote:

They only did mediation because, IIRC, it was required under case law or procedure or something like that. That they went to mediation wasn't supposed to be taken as a statement of the merits of Vic's case (which was, of course, meritless).

I wonder how many lawyers passed on representing him in this case, if any warned him this would happen. I don't have any sympathy for him, of course.

I'd have to look for the deposition, but I think Vic said at least two lawyers he had known for years turned him away. They likely told him this was a bad idea because of things like the TCPA and how Vic is a public figure, etc, etc.
Expias

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
Am I wrong in noting that The Amazing Mr. Beard didn't even try to enter mediation until the day of the deadline?

He technically could have done it October 3rd.

One of the defendants' lawyers (I believe it was Johnson, so Marchi's lawyer) had scheduled vacation so they had to schedule it around that.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Vic would have a better chance with Lionel Hutz walking into the court house drunk as his lawyer.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Vic would have a better chance with Lionel Hutz walking into the court house drunk as his lawyer.

Lionel Hutz would at least give Vic a smoking monkey for all of his troubles.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Hawaii trip was for a con.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I thought the Hawaii trip was for a con.

yeah Vic went to Hawaii for a con appearance, there were far better guests than him on the list.

Anyone who thinks that Vic is going to be fine is in denial here. The guy lives in California in a city where housing is expensive, for the most part Vic has relied on his acting roles to stay relevant AND to keep him on the convention scene.

But given that he won't be getting much of any acting gigs, AND the lawsuit exposed him as someone who sexually harassed women and girls at conventions, those convention organizers are going to have to make a decision as to whether it is wise to continue inviting the guy. Clearly the man is a liability now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12