• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote

No roasting marshmallows in my flame barrier, Clara!! Laughing

Get out of the carnivorous pitcher plants, Clara!! Laughing

Don't eat the magic books, Clara!! Laughing

Stop soaking in the cauldron, Clara!! Laughing

That was a fun take on the school club recruitment trope. Looks like Amy and the Magical Device Battler ftw.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:52 am Reply with quote
I had to rewatch all those parts with Clara a couple times. That she really was eating marshmallows, mucking around in the plants calling them a gondola, eating books, and synchronised swimming while being stewed. Asmodeus has to deal with it all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:03 am Reply with quote
13-20

So this got a wee bit darker with the Battler arc. But all's well that ends well. The fireworks were nice. Kirio makes a pretty good sadist. I'm sure we'll see more of him, and Baal.

"You Did Your Best!" award seems a little like a backhanded complement, but they did get a nice prize out of it. More than the participation trophy I was expecting. And the Tricky award - "normally your actions would require disciplinary action, but here, have a rank-up instead." I guess Kalego is finally warming up to him.

The meeting of Iruma with Ameri's father was fun. I like how they utilize breaking the 4th wall (and glasses) so well. But Ameri's solution to having to hide their manga sessions was exactly not what Daddy wanted to hear. Very Happy Poor Henri. He seems like a good demon.

Is Opera of the same species of demon as the Azazels? They look like they could be Henri's child.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote

At first I thought Kuromu/Keroli was going to have the same problem as Kirio, and I guess in a way she does, but her motivation is still a bit different. But as sweet as Iruma is, it's still a little arrogant-sounding to say you're jealous of someone who doesn't stand out, while you shine without even trying. I can see why that set her off. Smile

I can't believe I only noticed now, but why do all the female demons have skinny tails with heart tips? It seems to be a sex-linked trait that crosses species, like boobs or something. Only the non-humanoid lizard and slug, Stolas-sensei the herbology prof, who has a green sprout, and Ameri who for some reason has no tail, don't follow that trend.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 23 (finale)

Kind of wish that I was in a better mood for this last episode, the fact that I had something happened that I decided to watch this episode for some light hearted fun, and finding that all the summary stuff of this episode was a key to understanding that this was the last episode of the first season. Now I feel down in other ways, because I loved this show so much that it is one of those times that I feel sad that it is now over. Iruma-kun has been such a funny show filled with plane fun, it has really earned a place in my heart,

Clara probably the number one reason why, a sense of chaotic fun, maybe not everyone's sort of thing, but really strong from me. And I wouldn't say it would be a just the source material writing, because the performance was a big part of her charm.

I give the show a rating of Excellent (9/10), the sort of thing that can make me laugh like it does every episode, never really feeling too contrived, but playing by its own rules, and being stronger for it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:12 am Reply with quote
On the bright side, the series will be getting a second season, but not until April of next year.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 21 (season finale)

Wow, I did not come back to this topic during this season, even if I might have had things to say. Such as the whole Iruma going through an evil phase was great, in that he wasn't really evil because he was still his caring self, but very confident. And another that that it took me way too long to realise that Opera is implied to be non-binary, that is their gender is ambiguous, which makes me love the character more. Also, there is a mysterious extra member of the class, that you are kind of expected not to actually notice.

The rest of the season. I would say that it is nice, especially the parts that put more spotlight on the other characters, fleshing out the class more. And of course more of the Valac family. Although at the same time, it almost feels like it was running out of steam, maybe connected to how it would end at this kind of awkward episode number. Going into a third season, I would kind of think there would need to be a bit of a shakeup to things, which I guess is what the cliff-hanger would push towards in saying the students would be kicked out if they did not reach a higher rank by a certain time. Perhaps it means going forward there would be much more focus on all the class, rather than mostly the main 3.

My rating for season 2 is going to be Good (7/10), which is a few rungs lower than what I gave the first season. It could be that my tastes changed between the times, or really that it was good, just not the show that needed to be watched, demanding attention. And for another season, I suspect that it might need to reinvent itself somewhat to reclaim that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:46 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 21 (season finale)

Another season of Iruma-kun finished, and I would say it was a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the best parts were the greater focus on the greater cast of the class, Everyone had their own training on making them stronger. The weakest is probably that it felt a bit too strongly leaned on the greater cast for plots that felt really drawn out. Example being the competition that took over most of the season. On one hand our three main characters could be separated a bit to interact with other characters, but again it was just really drawn out.

The season also introduced Bachiko, who I think might be one of the best characters in the series. She is a pint sized demon, with a preference for feminine pink, and a bad attitude. Her personality should be a negative as a not nice character, treating Iruma as a lackey, but it kind of works with Iruma's personality, and I kind of like how girly her aesthetic is, while being a clear badass and it not really feeling like a clash.

I don't have a whole lot else to saying that it is kind of reaching points that it is not really surprising me anymore. It has bits, but I am a bit afraid that it might just continue to fall the longer it goes on. My rating will be Decent (610), not really time wasted, but maybe need something more. Maybe Iruma crossdressing more?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2