• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Anime Opening Songs of Summer 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The picks for song are 100% based on opinion~ I did not watch enough of Fire Force to hate it (but I didn't like it enough to keep watching either). If the number was higher than 5, I might have included it but Question that's just the way it went.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Symphogear XV's 'Metanoia' is a fantastic song and when it kicked in the final ep it was the sickest. I just wish the OP it was attached to wasn't the worst of the series. The visuals are the most boring and I'd rather just skip it.

Yeah, the visuals are kinda boring. It starts off pretty sick with the words and the gas masks but then is kinda eh. I felt the same way for the ED; Lasting Song is such a good tune but the visuals were the least creative of the whole series. I think S1 had the best ED visuals...
Have you seen this though? Makes the OP better/

Also, I'm not an expert but the way Jacki pronounced Metanoia sounded weird. Metonia?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Look I'm not saying that the list needs to include fire force or that the demon slayer OP should not be allowed on her list.

Regardless of ones personal opinion, fire force is widely considered to be the best opening of the season... you should have probably address the elephant in the room.

Or maybe since hey this is the first list on the subject maybe mention "hey so I am judging these openings based on X,Y, and Z.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Look I'm not saying that the list needs to include fire force. . .

Actually, you seem to be saying exactly that.

Quote:
Regardless of ones personal opinion, fire force is widely considered to be the best opening of the season... you should probably address the elephant in the room.

"Is widely considered to be" by whom? What are you basing this claim on?

There is no elephant in the room here. This is people upset that their favorite didn't get picked by someone and looking for some kind of justification why that doesn't amount to the simplest explanation: the writer just wasn't as impressed with that song as she was with five others. Also keep in mind that The List is a personal opinion column, not something that's meant to be representative of what the Internet as a whole thinks about the matter. You're welcome to agree or disagree with it as you see fit. However, accusing the writer(s) of ulterior motives because you don't agree is tacky at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Plenty of solid choices - summer season was loaded with a ton of great shows and more than its share of great OP/EDs - but I think I've gotta go with O Maidens in Your Savage Season's "Otome Domo Yo" personally. CHICO with HONEYWORKS have a talent for making these gentle yet inescapably catchy songs (I also really love their OP for After The Rain), and I haven't been able to get the chorus out of my head since the first episode. I also really love the visuals, especially the shot of the cast framed by the sunset, marching towards the camera.

Runner-up goes to Wasteful Days of High School Girls' "Wa! Moon! dass! cry!" for being super fun to sing along to, plus it has probably my favorite visuals of any OP this year. Really unique and quirky in a way that makes me wish I liked the show more than I did.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

There is no elephant in the room here. This is people upset that their favorite didn't get picked by someone and looking for some kind of justification why that doesn't amount to the simplest explanation: the writer just wasn't as impressed with that song as she was with five others.

This right here. There is no FF agenda. Just stop people. If you liked the show, good for you. If you didn't, good for you. These were the 5 OP's Lynzee/Jacki liked the best end of story. If all you can do is come in and spout conspiracy nonsense because your favorite show isn't being shown the love and undivided attention you feel it deserves then save your breath.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
snip

You have to keep in mind this is an opinion piece. It is not a detailed representation of the most Successful/Well Received songs, it is songs that the writer PERSONALLY found most memorable.
Feel free to write your own blog on the top songs of the season according to view count on Youtube.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
Instead of having a hot take about what should be on the list, my hot take is that one of those 5 is my most hated OP of the year and one of the reasons I dropped the show.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:38 am Reply with quote
Well, the thing about music is that it's in the eye, or better said, ear of the beholder. If the writer didn't include a song that other people like, it's up to her. Imagine if everyone liked the same things... It'd be a boring world.

I'm one of the people that loved Inferno, but I'm not going to start going all Alex Jones about it because the site didn't include it. There are more important things to think about, anyway.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 am Reply with quote
I never seem to agree with the song choices.

My favorite would be the cast sung "Rin! Moon! Dass! Cry!" from Wasteful Days of High School Girls (which was also my comedy of the summer). The engaging animation, the fun of the lyrics, the realization halfway through the season that "Moon Dass Cry" is seemingly a mondegreen of a messed up mix of western languages for "1,2,3" / "One dos trei" ( or a mix of similar ones)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zunda-mochi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
Popping in just to say this is MY top five summer anime opening themes:

-Gurenge: LiSA
Of course I'm bias due to the energy of this music and it's sung by LiSA, one of the most awesome anisong vocalists and I love this a lot.

-Tsuki no Ou Mayonaka: Eir Aoi
Such an underrated song from one of the most underrated anime this summer, Granbelm! I love this because behind this lively song, there is a hint of sadness in the musical arrangement and lyrics. Of course, this song pretty much is about two certain characters in the show. I just really love this song, and the opening animation for it too. (Actually, if Gurenge wasn't my most favorite song, this one would definitely be my number one)

-Metanoia: Mizuki Nana
Pretty much almost any Symphogear openings are pretty good and this one is no exception too. Gets me pumped really though I honestly prefer TESTAMENT more.

-Kizuato: Centimillimental
The Opening from Given, a great Boys Love anime with great music and animation, same with Granbelm as how this song fits for a certain character but also has great energy (see a pattern with my preferred music arrangements and tastes?)

- Paradise City: O-Ishi Masayoshi
The opening to Cop Craft. Jazz arrangements for this song and I like the singer. Enough said

Runner-ups:

-Daisuki。: Oohashi Ayaka (Opening to 'Would you even fall in love with a pervert as long as it’s a cutie?') Admittingly, I kind of half-watched this anime, but liked the song. Usually anything Oohashi Ayaka sings is pretty good for me, and this song was pretty catchy despite it being from an ecchi anime.

-Uchu no Kioku: Sakamoto Maaya
BEM opening, I liked the mature arrangements for this music and it's Sakamoto Maaya. (Unfortunately, I kind of couldn't get into the show, because I'm use to the ORIGINAL campy and old version of Youkai Ningen Bem, so the updated anime of this didn't interest me...)

-Onegai Muscle (catchy, good music for weight lifting really).

And, don't know what Fire Force's Opening sounds like really, as since I'm watching anime in Japan, THAT SHOW was airing at the same time as Fruits Basket (and I liked the first opening theme of that, would have wrote it, but didn't know if it counted or not...). Chose the latter over the first since Fire Force's animation, while good, the arrangement of the story and glaring fanservice was over the place that I didn't feel guilty for missing it. Plus, Fruit Baskets held more of my interests really. (Though honestly, for a fire-fighter themed anime, I prefer Promare more, even though it's a movie).
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I never seem to agree with the song choices.

My favorite would be the cast sung "Rin! Moon! Dass! Cry!" from Wasteful Days of High School Girls (which was also my comedy of the summer). The engaging animation, the fun of the lyrics, the realization halfway through the season that "Moon Dass Cry" is seemingly a mondegreen of a messed up mix of western languages for "1,2,3" / "One dos trei" ( or a mix of similar ones)

This is also my favorite OP, for these reasons mostly. It also fits the mood of the anime really well - after watching OP you have good idea what the show is like. Onegai Muscle would also be on my list, like previous poster wrote it's full of infectious exercise energy . I really liked the music in Fire Force OP, and the animation wasn't bad, but I wouldn't say it was the obvious best, certainly not in the same season as "Rin! Moon! Dass! Cry!"
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Music tastes are real subjective; seems like a fine list to me.

My personal faves from last season were:

MUKANJYO (Vinland Saga)

Onegai Muscle (How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjbIMvP6A0

Wanted to add the first Carol and Tuesday opening as well, but i guess that doesn't technically count as this season.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised just how popular the wasteful days dumbbell ops have been actually. They actually have a strong enduring popularity to them actually. I am guessing y
That the passion and energy, that was put into both of them has actually come across and stuck with people.

I was also expecting to hear much more from the oh Savage maidans clan as time went on but apparently that somewhat died out I am guessing for as much as people have been on it.

The one I am surprised died off as much as it has is Astra lost on space
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I did say for people to drop the FF debate and soapboxing. Not to continue it or for users to be rude and insulting. Posts have been removed. It's a simple list article people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3