• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Phew, saw the news and wondered if Japan was eating up yet another trash isekai show, but it looks like this will only sell 3-4k at most for vol 1.

So it's not a particularly successful show, they just had likely already started working on the second season due to the long delay for the first season.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
please do better cgi e_e....

this shwos cgi is years behind in quality~
Drifter24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Maybe company planed two seasons from beginning.

Someone know if this series is popular in China? Do overall harem isekai are popular in China?

According to one of China's popular streaming services it was pretty popular or at least very much watched.
https://image.myanimelist.net/ui/5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwLPpPckuG0NX9gUS5KnWch4[/i

as well as in Japan obviously....
https://image.myanimelist.net/ui/fkHpHKa8ZRvgXF3EvLfxXJwxEUD0Uw9ky_kPrNcD6QSSsJkmo7rVXv5BirkG-XcDIJ9FafkPFlrymwoRX05WWD92SSPnhYsSFxPGT1Dt-QwojSny_oIOC4dL6Rp_g4eAI0LPgAUKK2JZSRujEfsGE0wRaWpJfFcaE___YEBu6Qw
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
As someone who is a fan of the novels and a victim of the anime. Thanks...?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
WE'RE BACK IN ACTION BOYS

FROM COMMONPLACE TO ANIME'S STRONGEST
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Phew, saw the news and wondered if Japan was eating up yet another trash isekai show, but it looks like this will only sell 3-4k at most for vol 1.

So it's not a particularly successful show, they just had likely already started working on the second season due to the long delay for the first season.

Physical disk sales have not mattered in years. You can not use them to judge an anime's popularity or success anymore. It is entirely about streaming, source material, and merchandising these days.

Arifureta was very popular. The amount of "haters" it got should have at least been indicative of that. Unpopular shows do not get haters because nobody is watching them. But when people see a popular anime they dislike, they can't help but attack it or the fanbase. So while it may seem like a show is hated, that's just a vocal minority of the bigger picture.
el_morris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This piece of garbage is a total masterpiece, I enjoyed it for all the wrong reasons and if the second season is exactly as the first one, then it's gonna be a fun ride.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:

Arifureta was very popular. The amount of "haters" it got should have at least been indicative of that. Unpopular shows do not get haters because nobody is watching them. But when people see a popular anime they dislike, they can't help but attack it or the fanbase. So while it may seem like a show is hated, that's just a vocal minority of the bigger picture.
Most of the criticisms of the anime came from fans of the light novels who were shocked at how rushed the adaptation was and the lackluster production values due to the interference of the author in the production. That's why people are shocked it's getting a second season because even most of the fans were pretty critical of it. I can see it doing decently due to the already popularity of the light novels but I also have to wonder if this second season was already planned in advance like with Fairy Gone.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, this show was one of, if not the biggest, hits of the season. Why? Who the heck knows? Maybe the youngins' ate up its edgelordy antics. It certainly didn't win anyone over with its art or writing.

Sometimes the masses baffle me.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Physical disk sales have not mattered in years. You can not use them to judge an anime's popularity or success anymore. It is entirely about streaming, source material, and merchandising these days.

Last time I checked, streaming still didn't feed much money back to the source. Manga/LN sales have always been a big part of it (creating the old meme that anime is just advertisements for manga) because Japanese disks are so ludicrously expensive. Even so, the disk sales relative to other shows should give you some idea of how successful it is.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
I- wha- but- how? No- Why?
I've read the novel beyond the anime and what I saw of the anime was... really bad(production).
I'm genuinely amazed this got a 2nd season, I figured the anime wouldn't do better than "you like this? well read the manga/novel its better and didn't have anything cut(that we know of)".
Man people really enjoy these dark, gritty, self-insert, power fantasies.
I'm a tad bit concerned about the state of viewers in a broad sense.
Hopefully, it's just a phase.

You mean to say people shouldn't enjoy seinen anime? Cause that sure as hell sounds like what you are implying.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Calsolum wrote:
I- wha- but- how? No- Why?

You mean to say people shouldn't enjoy seinen anime? Cause that sure as hell sounds like what you are implying.

It's worth pointing out that there's more to seinen than dark, gritty power fantasies. Sure, it contains things like Berserk, Ubel Blatt (if anyone remembers that series), and Tokyo Ghoul, but it also contains works like 3-Gatsu no Lion, Genshiken, and Arakawa Under the Bridge... as well as a whole slew of romantic comedies that often deal with more mature/adult themes than what's typically seen in shounen/shoujo romcoms. Heck, baka updates classifies Arifureta as shounen, which I don't completely agree with but can kind of understand. Remember, shounen, seinen, shoujo, etc. are target demographics more than anything else; seinen being aimed primarily at adult, especially young adult, men.

And now getting back on topic...

Personally I find the Arifureta novels quite entertaining. Even so, I have mixed feelings about more of the anime being made, because the adaptation so far has been pretty bad. In my opinion, they sped through content where a more methodical pace would have really improved it and took a slower pace with content that really didn't need it.

Case in point, the hydra fight from volume 1 of the LN, which occupied pretty much all of episode 4 in the anime. In contrast, the majority of volume 2 was covered in a single episode, all but completely skipping past the time spent in the beastman capital and the human town where they spend time before/after clearing the labyrinth. We technically got a montage that touched on some of the more notable scenes, but only people that have already read the LN would even get what was being referenced in most of that.

Even so, the anime has been entertaining, so overall I'd describe my reaction as a mixture of cautious optimism and mild concern.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
For all of its crappy CG and eye-rolling harem-building, I still found myself following the show through to the end and even watching it on its release day more commonly than many other titles that I wasn't reviewing in the Summer season. It entertained me enough that I will watch the second season when it rolls around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Rentwo wrote:

Most of the criticisms of the anime came from fans of the light novels who were shocked at how rushed the adaptation was and the lackluster production values due to the interference of the author in the production. That's why people are shocked it's getting a second season because even most of the fans were pretty critical of it. I can see it doing decently due to the already popularity of the light novels but I also have to wonder if this second season was already planned in advance like with Fairy Gone.

The 'author interference' thingy only ends as a rumor as far as I know. People just go "guilty until proved innocent" on him. He clearly doesn't have a favorable impression about the anime, so if he really got so much authority then why he even approve a S2.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
this is happy news. The show has its strong and weak points. In a funny way, the last 13 episode shows both, for the story falters as they throw yet another useless harem unqualified candidate under the bus along with the stupid vampire "so called" main choice who I never have liked at all. But overall it is fun and shows a new path for this sort of story and was one of the most watchable of the shows of this pretty thin quarter. I hope that the bunny girl gets more air time, and the dragon lady is a nice one as well. It is part of the story of this series that it has gone thru major shake ups in the staff, and yet has continued to survive ..... for the base concept and story is a good one.

They just need to be more decisive about culling the worthless characters, the last hastily added harem candidate was thrown into the mix with very little preparation and really had no purpose at all. A strong director would have kept this from happening, no mater what the authors say. That is how to make the best anime: keep the story clear of trash. .

So this is in the end happy news but there is room for the show to be much improved.

And i would say in response to some of the posts here, that the fan response was NOT negative on the contrary it has been mostly positive with qulaifications like what i shared. True the novel readers may not like what they see but they are just that...novel readers not anime fans..so it is not a matter of concern. As for the author and hestiance that is common and part of the challenge for most directors. Because they wrote the story does not always mean ..indeed rarely means they know how best to present it in a necessary culling of content for the anime. There just is not time to give every novel or manga series full air time, only a few have that luxury like Inuyasha (犬夜叉),..and even that had to wait for years for the author to decide on the ending.

Let us hope the story here continues to be one of qualified success.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3