• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beastars (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

At least Legosi and Haru talked together again, even exchanged names. The her fighting instincts to run was pretty cute. She is also acquainted with Louis
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:01 am Reply with quote
A little more than acquainted, I'd say. Smile

Well, that escalated quickly. Tiger is a jerk, on all fronts. I appreciated how they emphasized the panda's teeth, not by exaggerating them, but by just showing them in all their carnivorous glory. I don't think that's how scars work with fur though. Smile

If what they implied is so, that the adult world is peaceful because of the Dark Market, you'd think the herbivores might compromise and make it legal, like donating your body to science instead of burial/cremation. Though poor herbivores like the old saiga might still resort to selling fresh body parts to survive.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
I don't think it was a year ago that I learned that Giant Pandas are actually carnivores, yet for some reason seem entirely eat bamboo, which apparently they are not super great at processing. So I liked the acknowledgement of the weirdness of pandas.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:58 am Reply with quote
9-10

So there's considerably more to the Dark Market than we were led to believe. I can say I certainly did not see Louis' backstory coming, and all the under-the-table stuff that involved. The mayor's blackmail was unexpected, since I thought Louis' "father" had seen to it that he was stricken from those books.

Haru's side of things was pretty harrowing, but I think this is an example of a rapey scene that's well-executed and makes an impact without being exploitative or, ugh, fan-servicey (cf. Blade of the Immortal's clumsy handling of such scenes). And I loved her fighting back and basically telling him to go f--- himself. Even if she needed rescuing (as did her rescuer himself), she kept her wits about her. All the more remarkable given that her overall lack of whimpering and begging is the last thing you'd expect from a bunny girl in anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (season finale)

At least we got a love confession to tie up the whole theme of the possibility of a rabbit and wolf pair. Beastars has been great, and I expect the positive reception when the legal viewers get access to it. I would go so far to say that part of the parcel has been the unconventional animal characters with the unconventional choice of CG characters, and compare with the also Orange (CG studio) anime Land of the Lustrous, both have been pretty great. There is a definite choice in using movie techniques rather than what might be expected of CG character models, and work to add atmosphere.

I do think it can have a lot to unpack in terms of symbolism, wondering if you are looking too hard, rather than someone just came up with the whole idea of animal people with the story at face value. It has a lot of things like nature, physical ability, wishes for fairness, safety, self love, social expectations, and breaking those. It is like a deeper dive than something like Zootopia. The show never did much to try and tackle who the killer might have been that started everything off, but this season did end with a pov of who is implied to be the killer, with perhaps clues that Legosi knows this person well, and must be relatively tall in close to his height, Legosi being pretty tall. But there is another season coming.

Anyway, rating this season, I give it a Very good (8/10), I would say that it is even high such, but just out of reach of Land of the Lustrous that a 9/10, couldn't say what could have been improved to put it right over the line, but perhaps lags a little in places. And I would be remiss to not mention the OP, damn it is good.

And that's called jazz.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:09 am Reply with quote
So I guess Louis was sent to the farm, where he can play with all the other deer forever. Sad Do we know if Panda made it out alive? I don't remember anything past him battling all the henchlions.

I kinda feel like Juno really put a target on Legosi's back with that stunt she pulled. The lions might not have known precisely who attacked them, but they sure do now. They probably would've found out anyway, via the Mayor if nothing else, but she just made it easier.

I know it's really shallow of me, but I couldn't sympathize much with Juno because she looks like she has mange, especially her tail. I guess it's supposed to look curly, but it just looks like she needs a good brushing. :/

Anyway, the final episodes were really great. I'm looking forward to another season so we can finally find out who killed Tem. At this point I wouldn't even be unduly shocked if it were Louis. Wink

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:16 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So I guess Louis was sent to the farm, where he can play with all the other deer forever. Sad Do we know if Panda made it out alive?

You know anime rules, if you don't assume it happened. For all we know, Louis somehow took power from the power vacuum. I am also reminded of what I have heard that deer have been known to eat small birds.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
I think you left out some words there, but yeah. Hence the last line in my post. Wink And I was thinking about the carnivorous side of deer myself... (ha, I even mentioned that in my first post in this thread)
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:28 am Reply with quote
Season 2 episode 1 is out on Netflix Japan, airs on TV tomorrow. Every week seems to be Wednesday though so it's only for the first episode.

Like the previous, except late subs and this is still a 1-cour show this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:03 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Kind of seems like the mystery of the episode is a bit forced, since it seems pretty easy to guess what it is. spoiler[It is a snake, if the noise was not obvious, I am pretty sure some snakes can have eye like scale patterns, and a snake might be inconsistent in tripping a camera that detects heat]. Is interesting that only Legosi is apparently the only one to pick up the sound, when even the other canines cannot. Has Legosi's senses been noted before as exceptional even as a wolf?

Also, going off of the POV of the killer last season, I could not help but focus on who looks like the most likely killer, being someone who Legosi knows and is very tall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2