• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Demon Girl Next Door

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I want to address just one thing that the review forgot to mention: how Americanized the subs were, case in point the “$400 a month” curse, which was "40000 yen a month" in the original, or replacing metric units with imperial ones (even incorrectly), despite no country besides the US are using it. And it's not like the series was only licensed in the Anglosphere, even Funi doesn't go that far with the subs despite that. It was definitely an odd choice. The names being in western order is just icing on the cake, but that's something I can overlook, since lots of localizations are the same way.

Otherwise, it was one of my favorite shows this year and I'm happy it doesn't get overlooked anymore Very Happy
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The timer while transforming thing was done before in juuden chan, though to humilliate a character.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
This was definitely among my top 3 in such a loaded season.
Usually I watch anything Kirara and anything mahou shoujo by default, so I'm glad the streams crossed here and gave us something that is focused on the usual strengths of neither but is greater than both.

The comedy was already on point but it surprised me how well handled the emotional depth was as well.
The setting was also strangely edgy. The whole "drain the blood from a magical girl" felt too gorish (although we knew good girl Shamiko would never do that) and the revelation that these powerless, tortured, pathetic demons are hunted down was shocking. GOSENZOOOO might be there with her ill intent, but the Light Clan seems more evil.

tfwnoymir wrote:
I want to address just one thing that the review forgot to mention: how Americanized the subs were, case in point the “$400 a month” curse, which was "40000 yen a month" in the original, or replacing metric units with imperial ones (even incorrectly), despite no country besides the US are using it. And it's not like the series was only licensed in the Anglosphere, even Funi doesn't go that far with the subs despite that. It was definitely an odd choice. The names being in western order is just icing on the cake, but that's something I can overlook, since lots of localizations are the same way.

Otherwise, it was one of my favorite shows this year and I'm happy it doesn't get overlooked anymore Very Happy

There were also a few questionable translations in the first episode. There was a fansub attempting to fix this but then they also introduced their own mistakes here and there.

maximilianjenus wrote:
The timer while transforming thing was done before in juuden chan, though to humilliate a character.

Meanwhile here we have Momo beating her own record.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
A great series not so much in how high its peaks are, but in how consistently good it is. I enjoyed every episode.
Its rare to see comedy and more serious time in such harmony. Just as how the comedy does not interrupt the story, the comedy prevents the story from feeling too dark. At least that's how I felt.

I don't see “$400 a month” curse as a mistake. While I'm sure everyone watching knows the value of yen, making the conversion to how much 40k yen actually is takes a few seconds. Which interrupts the flow. I do agree that using the metric system is better Smile

One of my favorite jokes was how her ancestor in her dream world, after taking a bottle of cola out of Yuko's thought bubble and driking it, returns the empty bottle back to the thought bubble.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Terry Lang wrote:
I don't see “$400 a month” curse as a mistake. While I'm sure everyone watching knows the value of yen, making the conversion to how much 40k yen actually is takes a few seconds. Which interrupts the flow. I do agree that using the metric system is better Smile

It's not just about the conversion, though that's bothersome for sure; but changing Japan's national currency for a foreign one - at least it's foreign for non-Americans and definitely for the Japanese - for the sake of "better understanding". It's almost at the level of localizing onigiri to donuts. Which doesn't mean much, because the value of currencies are always changing depending on one country's economy. I don't envy people watching this show 10 years later with those subs, because I'm sure it won't mean the same.
rinrinsama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Literally AOTS, already sold out its stock for bd1 and expected to be most selling after symphogear.

S2 almost confirmed.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this show, but it's not going to outsell Ensemble Stars, unlike what the user above thinks.

But yeah, Shamiko and Momo's chemistry was just perfect and how the two could just bounce off each-other was sublime. Also, I can understand why the review doesn't point it out, but this has one of the strongest conclusion episodes I've seen in the past few years, and an anime that actually executes a good concluding episode is hard to come by. But when we hear spoiler[Ganbare Yuko] after being baited for the second time by Shamiko's mother and it just hits what it means it's just an amazing feeling.

Second season please!
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
Terry Lang wrote:

It's not just about the conversion, though that's bothersome for sure; but changing Japan's national currency for a foreign one - at least it's foreign for non-Americans and definitely for the Japanese - for the sake of "better understanding". It's almost at the level of localizing onigiri to donuts. Which doesn't mean much, because the value of currencies are always changing depending on one country's economy. I don't envy people watching this show 10 years later with those subs, because I'm sure it won't mean the same.

I don't think knowing the purchasing power of a foreign currency should be required to enjoy watching a show, so converting it is definitely the way to go. And the problem with watching it 10 years later will be just as significant with or without conversion.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
Terry Lang wrote:

Any Japanese watching with subs will hear the original currency anyway, and for non-Americans the dollar is much more understandable currency then yen. As a Pole I have to pay eg. my Crunchyroll subscription in dollars, and both pounds and euros are pretty close to dollars so they're easy to convert as well, while almost nobody but Japanese buy stuff using yens. Also, the yen value also fluctuates, so the "10 years in future" is not the best argument. On the other hand, using imperial is really bad decision - no one else is using them and I usually can appreciate that anime is using "normal" metric system instead forcing me to convert from those weird inches and such.

I hoped this show would merit at least "This week in anime" special, instead just one review on the side. This and the "Wasteful days" were both completely ignored, despite being so much better then all those isekai's.
asneakysnake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Amazingly well written show for a 4koma. No character or event is superfluous despite its looks. I absolutely love how wholesome the tone is despite it being story about a succubus.
I think they were planning to do a season two unless the show completely flopped because of where they left off in the story and that spoiler[there's some cameos of two future characters in the final episode]
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Any Japanese watching with subs will hear the original currency anyway, and for non-Americans the dollar is much more understandable currency then yen. As a Pole I have to pay eg. my Crunchyroll subscription in dollars, and both pounds and euros are pretty close to dollars so they're easy to convert as well, while almost nobody but Japanese buy stuff using yens. Also, the yen value also fluctuates, so the "10 years in future" is not the best argument. On the other hand, using imperial is really bad decision - no one else is using them and I usually can appreciate that anime is using "normal" metric system instead forcing me to convert from those weird inches and such.

meiam wrote:
I don't think knowing the purchasing power of a foreign currency should be required to enjoy watching a show, so converting it is definitely the way to go. And the problem with watching it 10 years later will be just as significant with or without conversion.

Sorry I wasn't specific. My point is no other localization ever does this - or rarely, only the After Hours manga comes in my mind as another example - and people somehow manage. I brought up the Japanese not because they'll somehow going to watch it subbed (I find it doubtful); I just find it distasteful to erase their culture like that for convenience's sake. It's not the same as for example as leaving out the honorifics. But maybe that's just me.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Reading this makes me even more disappointed I couldn't watch it on HIDIVE (can't afford it). Sad
Hades_ANI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
unimpressive artistry? wrong.

unimpressive animation - absolutely, but the art was good. Great character design, well simplified without losing the basic idea of the manga design, some even said that the anime design is better because it makes the characters cuter.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, I'll check it out now =)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
I quite liked it, thought that it had some great parts, but also feel like some things came in late or underused. Such as that they mentioned there were a lot of weird people, but nothing came up, until I realized in the last episode that a woman with animal ears just nonchalantly walked past Shamiko. There was also time up to Lilith being a known entity by others, being able to speak, and the her being able to walk in the outside world, by the way of Shamiko's attempt that does pay back, but Momo's cute one did not have a chance to return. It oddly gave me a Yuru Yuri vibe, and I hope we will see a continuation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4