Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why Dr. Stone's Village Arc is The Best Yet


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gedata



Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 497
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Well there's only two arcs so that isn't saying much lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 1238
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this commentary missed a single good thing about Dr. Stone and it's why I love it too. Only since Back to the Future and a scant few other shows like this that people are being reminded that scientists are people too and sometimes very opinionated which has nothing to do with science or even logic. I think it could be argued that we went to the moon not because everyone was all that interested in the science and engineering of doing it, but that Flash Gordon and H.G. Wells were there first and made it interesting. That inspired Kennedy and pushed scientists and engineers to make the dream come true (like the OP lyrics say)...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelmirror



Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 287
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I think it could be argued that we went to the moon not because everyone was all that interested in the science and engineering of doing it, but that Flash Gordon and H.G. Wells were there first and made it interesting. That inspired Kennedy and pushed scientists and engineers to make the dream come true (like the OP lyrics say)...
Also because we had to beat those damn commies to the moon or they'd never let us hear the end of it.They might have had the first satellite, first person in orbit, and first space station, but how many communist golf balls have been hit on the moon huh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 412
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Story time: this obviously isn't as bad a goof (because I'm still alive), but I'm gonna out myself as Bad Scientist here—I once took a big whiff of concentrated hydrochloric acid by mistake. I don't ever want my nose to feel like that again. Always waft, kids. And for the love of the hot sulfuric acid gijinka, label your bottles.

Gotta love them fumes, huh? Specially if you're making aqua regia. Took me quite a few of those in the sink to learn to rinse my pipettes and flasks under the hood.
Thankfully domesticated sulfuric acid is easier to handle: it's so dense and viscuous that it's hard to spill and doesn't produce nasty fumes so easily. Only problem is that it likes to burn things a bit too much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marimo0



Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 156
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Ruri and Kohaku having similar faces is somewhat understandable since they're sisters. And having a similar face to Suika may have an in-universe reason. spoiler[Over 3000 years of inbreeding.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#895544



Joined: 12 Oct 2019
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
off topic - apologies - but at the top of their conversation was a hint that there is some news on a further season of Land of the Lustrous. I have been checking this site everyday but have not seen anything. Is there something coming soon?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marimo0



Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 156
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
#895544 wrote:
off topic - apologies - but at the top of their conversation was a hint that there is some news on a further season of Land of the Lustrous. I have been checking this site everyday but have not seen anything. Is there something coming soon?

Steve said they were ready for a new season, not the new season. As in there isn't anything that's been confirmed for a new season, just that they're ready for a theoretical new season. And the reason that series was brought up in the first place was for a rock joke, since Land of the Lustrous involves gemstones and the name of this anime is called Dr Stone and involves collecting all sorts of elements.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#895544



Joined: 12 Oct 2019
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
#895544 wrote:
off topic - apologies - but at the top of their conversation was a hint that there is some news on a further season of Land of the Lustrous. I have been checking this site everyday but have not seen anything. Is there something coming soon?

Steve said they were ready for a new season, not the new season. As in there isn't anything that's been confirmed for a new season, just that they're ready for a theoretical new season. And the reason that series was brought up in the first place was for a rock joke, since Land of the Lustrous involves gemstones and the name of this anime is called Dr Stone and involves collecting all sorts of elements.


Thanks,.. that makes sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jose Cruz



Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 1684
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Stone reminds me a lot of the show about the Slime. In both cases a Japanese man gets transported to another world and tries to build up a kingdom. With slime show being very over the top and excessively optimistic about the diplomatic elements needed to build a kingdom. This one is more "realistic" although obviously Dr. Stone is basically Jotaro science nerd version which is great: the character is completely one dimensional but so badass. In western fiction these "mad scientist" type of characters are either spineless or villains.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3364
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I don't think this commentary missed a single good thing about Dr. Stone and it's why I love it too. Only since Back to the Future and a scant few other shows like this that people are being reminded that scientists are people too and sometimes very opinionated which has nothing to do with science or even logic. I think it could be argued that we went to the moon not because everyone was all that interested in the science and engineering of doing it, but that Flash Gordon and H.G. Wells were there first and made it interesting. That inspired Kennedy and pushed scientists and engineers to make the dream come true (like the OP lyrics say)...


That is something that I liked about the series so far. It's pretty easy to fall into a trap where the main character is totally rational and proven right constantly, which gets old. Senku does still emphasize being rationale, but not to the point where he treats others like idiots, and even he gets things wrong on occasion. The part where Kohaku points out to him that the North Star isn't quite true north anymore is a good example where observational skills were the key. And as much as the show jokes about Senku's people skills, he does care enough to teach them things, so it's not like he doesn't want to help them. I also like that the story takes moments to show why it is important that Senku has help. He obviously has a lot of knowledge, but using it could take too much time and effort. He had to try more than once to make a clay pot that didn't fall apart, and it was far more efficient to make the equipment for glass blowing and leave it to a craftsman than to do it himself.


Last edited by Greed1914 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 412
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
The hell was up with that bukkake shot? They really forced the pose for that simple oral drug taking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Somewhere



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 347
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
Shots are like would probably be due to the artist (Boichi) having drawn some hentai before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 412
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Shots are like would probably be due to the artist (Boichi) having drawn some hentai before.

That's a bit of non-news. You'll be hard-pressed to find mangaka born after the 80's who don't have a background drawing ero-doujins at some point or another.
The thing is that Dr. Stone specifically has been very light on the fanservice, so suddenly getting hit with that kind of shot feels like being isekai'd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Somewhere



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 347
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Boichi's born in '73. (aside: wait...he's older than Oda or Kishimoto; that blew my mind just now)
Jump artists usually don't have hentai listed in their credits prior to joining Jump. Saeki Shun stands out for being notable for his hentai prior to working on Shokugeki no Souma. Boichi himself does have some credited to him ('Lovers in Winter' in the magazine Comic Aun). But they're more exceptions than the norm.
Gotouge Koyoharu (Kimetsu no Yaiba) doesn't. Furudate Haruchi (Haikyuu!!) doesn't. Horikoshi Kohei (My Hero Academia) doesn't. Fujimoto Tatsuki (Chainsaw Man) doesn't. Akutami Gege (Jujutsu Kaisen) doesn't. Usazaki Shiro (Act-Age) doesn't. Demizu Posuka (Promised Neverland) doesn't. Tabata Yuuki (Black Clover) doesn't. Terasaka Kento (Beast Children) doesn't. Matsuura Kento (Tokyo Shinobi Squad) doesn't. Gondaira Hitsuji (Mission: Yozakura Family) doesn't. Hatomune Tsurun (Mitama Security: Spirit Busters) doesn't. Shiibashi Hiroshi (Yui Kamio Lets Loose) doesn't.
To be complete: Tsutsui Taishi (We Never Learn) has ecchi to his name but no hentai (which perhaps lines up with We Never Learn anyway...). Miura Tadahiro (Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san) has ecchi but no hentai credited (which absolutely does line up with his current series).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 412
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Boichi's born in '73. (aside: wait...he's older than Oda or Kishimoto; that blew my mind just now)
Jump artists usually don't have hentai listed in their credits prior to joining Jump. Saeki Shun stands out for being notable for his hentai prior to working on Shokugeki no Souma. Boichi himself does have some credited to him ('Lovers in Winter' in the magazine Comic Aun). But they're more exceptions than the norm.
Gotouge Koyoharu (Kimetsu no Yaiba) doesn't. Furudate Haruchi (Haikyuu!!) doesn't. Horikoshi Kohei (My Hero Academia) doesn't. Fujimoto Tatsuki (Chainsaw Man) doesn't. Akutami Gege (Jujutsu Kaisen) doesn't. Usazaki Shiro (Act-Age) doesn't. Demizu Posuka (Promised Neverland) doesn't. Tabata Yuuki (Black Clover) doesn't. Terasaka Kento (Beast Children) doesn't. Matsuura Kento (Tokyo Shinobi Squad) doesn't. Gondaira Hitsuji (Mission: Yozakura Family) doesn't. Hatomune Tsurun (Mitama Security: Spirit Busters) doesn't. Shiibashi Hiroshi (Yui Kamio Lets Loose) doesn't.
To be complete: Tsutsui Taishi (We Never Learn) has ecchi to his name but no hentai (which perhaps lines up with We Never Learn anyway...). Miura Tadahiro (Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san) has ecchi but no hentai credited (which absolutely does line up with his current series).


Holy cow I'm actually surprised at Boichi's age.
Anyway, hentai doesn't exist just in comercial magazines and anthologies, that's why I mentiones doujins specifically, where they are far less likely to use their real names (or at least the same pen names they use as mangaka). Not gonna dispute that list since I'm not a Jump nerd, but I'd be honestly impressed if actually none of them had drawn explicit content before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group