• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Studio DEEN to Co-Produce Sailor Moon Eternal 2-Part Anime Film Project With Toei

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
IMO the reason why she had this falling out with Kodansha (over some lost manga pages? don't buying it) ..

"Lost manga pages" is industry speak for "We sold those pages for $$$ to certain people we know". Happens ALL the time. There are a lot of people that collect original sketches.

I never meant to say that said pages had not "disappeared" (as you say this is nothing new and is not even limited to japan, I heard this happened in marvel comics since the times of jack kirby since a xerox copy could take the place of the original for practical purposes).

What I clearly meant to say is that no mangaka would cut ties with the company they work at for that reason. As you point out, it has happened (and probably is happening as we speak) with a lot of other mangaka but Takeuchi is the only one to change publisher stating that as the official reason.

I do not think anyone is surprised that Toei and Takeuchi's relation soured long ago. If Toei asked Toriyama for persmission to make a sequel (GT) then no doubt they asked the exaxt same thing of Takeuchi which no doubt she said a definitive NO and therefore the Precure franchise was born (seven years after the last TV episode of Sailor Moon, so Toei must have begged quite a lot for a sequel) .

To be honest I am surprised Crystal became a reality since they already have Precure, Takeuchi must still have fans inside Toei because if they wanted to make a gamble, there must be at least one new project by Toei employees waiting to get the green light.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
It ultimately comes down to making money and Sailor Moon was conceived as a multi media project and Naoko likely can’t divorce the franchise from Toei because they are co-creators of the franchise. Anniversary reboots are all the rage now but Toei seems to have always treated Crystal as a glorified commercial for the 90s merch and original anime BDs rather than the other way around. Even if Crystal itself is a financial failure, it keeps the brand around and they still make money off of expensive wand toys and figures. I’ve also often gotten the impression Naoko prefers the live action adaptations of the franchise as she had so much involvement in PGSM and the live action musicals which seem to get more marketing attention in Japan these days than Crystal and Sailor Moon was originally inspired by toku shows.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Anniversary reboots are all the rage now but Toei seems to have always treated Crystal as a glorified commercial for the 90s merch and original anime BDs rather than the other way around.

The latter's Japanese sets didn't start happening until after season 3 was over and done with though. First announced in January 2017, at the same time as the Dream Arc adaptation, and the last Stars set is supposed to come out in January 2020 so there was no Crystal material the entire time these were happening.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
What I clearly meant to say is that no mangaka would cut ties with the company they work at for that reason.

While not very common, it is not unheard of for mangaka to switch publishers. It seems like this is done for various reasons, such as the current magazine that publishes the manga is ending and the series is popular enough to warrant continuation to another magazine elsewhere. These reasons are not often publicly announced. In Takeuchi's case, she is well known, even two decades after her most popular title finished in Japan. Her choosing to switch publishers (or anything else for that matter) is going to be noticed simply because of who she is.

Quote:
I do not think anyone is surprised that Toei and Takeuchi's relation soured long ago. If Toei asked Toriyama for persmission to make a sequel (GT) then no doubt they asked the exaxt same thing of Takeuchi which no doubt she said a definitive NO and therefore the Precure franchise was born (seven years after the last TV episode of Sailor Moon, so Toei must have begged quite a lot for a sequel) .

This is speculation.

I don't think Toei was desperate for Takeuchi's magical girl take, but they did need something to tap that demographic. If you look at the magical girl series that Toei produced after SM ended, it's clear that they're looking for another winning formula...even going so far as to bring SM animators on board to produce a very similar looking series, Cutiehoney F, in 1997-1998. Toei eventually went with Doremi until PreCure took off in 2004. Other studios, such as Madhouse, were also looking to tap into the market, which is why there are several shows in the late 1990s-early 2000s that follow the magical girl formula. Cardcaptor Sakura and Tokyo MewMew are just two off the top of my head that I can think of that were released during this era.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3