• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Boys-Love Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen most of the anime on this list (though I still need to get around to reading/watching Doukyuusei), but I greatly enjoyed Given. For BL manga, I'd like to see Go For It, Nakamura adapted into an anime someday, though a series of shorts or an OVA would probably be best since the manga is only one volume long.

Яeverse wrote:
Wouldmt put yuri on ice on it. Seemed a but too creepy with the older viktor being pervy with yuri. Yuri x otobek should have been main ship.

Not sure if you're referring to Yuuri Katsuki or Yuri Plisetsky, but Victor is only four years older than Yuuri Katsuki, and they're both in their twenties anyway so I'm not sure how that would be creepy. Victor could be forward in his flirting with Yuuri, but his actions are tame compared to how older BL series deal with consent, and then there's the whole thing with spoiler[Victor not realizing that Yuuri was too drunk to remember how the two of them hit it off at the banquet the year before.]
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
That poll list is pretty sad...I mostly avoid BL anime because they tend to follow a similar style that's not my thing, but if we had greater numbers and more variety I'd be all over it.

However, it's good to see the tides changing a bit as of late.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
This is a really strong list, personally I would have given Love stage 4th and gravitation 5th but this is a strong list. Nobari no ou gets an honorable mention for me, though it is kinda questionable if it is actually a BL.

I think that adding in a reader poll to this section is a wonderful idea to let people mention some of their favorites as well. maybe we could have a poll for best fall anime openings soon, since they will all be out soon.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
That poll list is pretty sad...I mostly avoid BL anime because they tend to follow a similar style that's not my thing, but if we had greater numbers and more variety I'd be all over it.

However, it's good to see the tides changing a bit as of late.

as someone who can't deal with non consensual elements it is super great to see the rise of much more less problematic elements in the BL side of things. And seeing more well made otome/BL material that is great to see. Having a strong amount diversity in the anime market is only a good thing. obviously trend chasing isn't going to stop and is a thing for a reason, but having some growth and branching out in the yaoi market is only a good thing I think.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Wouldmt put yuri on ice on it. Seemed a but too creepy with the older viktor being pervy with yuri. Yuri x otobek should have been main ship.

Would have hitorijime my hero too on it. Liked that one.

lol you think Yuuri and Victor with their extremely normal age gap and their normal flirtation (remember Yuuri flirted first, Victor was just returning the favor and he never perved on him??) is 'kind of creepy' then you say you like an anime where a high schooler dates his teacher. Okay.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
No Loveless or Gravitation?! Scandal!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
^^I don't follow BL or rather avoid it and even I know Gravitation and Loveless should be on this list...
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
From the list I've only seen No. 6, Loveless, Yuri on Ice, Banana Fish & Dokyusei. I tried watching Hitorijime m hero, but didn't like it.
I love the No. 6 novels and manga; the anime not so much, so I really wanted to vote for No. 6, but since it was for the anime I couldn't.
I ended up voting for Yuri on Ice ( of course), Loveless and Banana Fish.
As far as Nabari no Ou, I think it can be considered BL if you squint because even though Yoite was intersex, I think he thought of himself as male.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Yuri on Ice and Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi. Personally, my fave BL show is Kyo Kara Maoh.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
No "YOI isn't BL!1!1" comments, yet? People are getting soft...:wink

Lol, don't forget the "Banana Fish isn't BL" comments Wink

My vote is for Yuri on Ice, Banana Fish, and Given. Honorable mention to Love Stage, Gravitation (the music is kickass), Hitorijime my Hero, and Loveless. I'm surprised Sukisho isn't on there, it was an...interesting show. Same with Kyo Kara Maoh, which I have yet to finish but thoroughly enjoyed season 1.

The poll results will be interesting. How many votes will Naruto get??? Laughing
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
X, Tokyo Babylon and if we include Chinese animation Mo Dao Zu Shi
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I still think Loveless is under-rated. And even though it's only a one shot OVA adaptation of the manga I got to give a shout out to one of my high school intros to BL with Fake.

TsukasaElkElite wrote:
No Loveless or Gravitation?! Scandal!

I thought we might see them too, but if No. 6 from 2011(!) is considered an "oldie," then Loveless (2005) and Gravitation (2000) must be inscrutable mysteries of the ancients, lost in the relentless grinding sands of time. Perhaps the age-gap and coercive/abusive elements have been rendered outdated as cultural values have shifted, which is certainly not a Bad Thing. But I'd say that both were eminently watchable from the cishet dude perspective,* thanks in part to the catgirl and musical components, respectively. Sukisho wasn't bad either, although the whole "zero female characters" thing can be jarring for those used to hetero-male-targeted media.

* No doubt the same applies to other quality examples of the genre.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:18 am Reply with quote
Maybe it hass just because not explicitly been my thing, but kind of feels disappointing that these are the best of the list there is. Although I really only have seen Love Stage, Given and Yuri on Ice. From my experience Love Stage has some uncomfortable aspects of one guy forcing on the other two, but at least is explicit that it is guy love. I feel terrible that Given bored me for the most part, and the gay stuff felt like the only saving grace. And I still say that Yuri on Ice was too subtle.

Mostly feeling like you could read into the Yuri and Victor relationship in different ways, whether romantic or looking up to and finding interesting. Yes, they exchange rings, and I think a character reacted by saying out loud if they are engaged, but there never felt like it outright said these two are in a romantic relationship, rather than just something you could read as a bond. I know that would probably seem obvious to many who have spent their time reading into things where it is just code for queer characters, but when I watched it never felt like there was a moment like Yuri or Victor said specifically that they were dating or engaged, like it was afraid of making undeniably clear to everyone watching that these two are totally gay.

Looked like there are people that find me annoying for saying this, like I am trying to deny Yuri x Victor, but I am not against it at all, only that it felt like lacked a bit of courage to outright say homosexual relationship. Even apart from that side of the show, in terms of its sports stuff, it was a really good show, although perhaps maybe at the time a little overhyped in how it stole attention from other shows in the whole awards things.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:20 am Reply with quote
No.6 and Yuri on Ice (and while not on the list, Banana Fish) are not BL. And if you’re going to include non-BL on the list, then what about Nabari no Ou? It’s has a great gay relationship between Miharu and Yoite, and is also by an LGBT author.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:16 am Reply with quote
^ Thank you.

And yeah, Victor is 27 and Yuuri is 23 during the main YoI series... absolutely nothing wrong with that. YoI is a sports anime first and foremost, anyway.

And yeah, sometimes I forget how old I am. There's nothing from older generations of manga/anime on this list. lmao oh well

And that's great news about the classic Ai no Kusabi OAVs. One of the best, most atmopsheric pieces of fiction, honestly, BL or not. (Yes, AnK is actually BL/yaoi! Should have been on this list but people writing this stuff now are too young, I guess.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6