• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Digimon Universe: App Monsters Anime to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I was really shocked when Crunchyroll suddenly announced they had licensed Appmon because it seemed to come out of nowhere. The show came out three years ago and the consensus among the fandom seemed to be that Toei was hoping to secure a toy deal to get Appmon on TV. I guess the toy deal wasn't able to work out for them and they must have thought they would get more out of putting up as wide of release as possible on Crunchyroll instead. I won't lie I'll be a little disappointed if we never get an English dub of Appmon at all given a dub is likely the only way we'll get a physical home video release of the show, and I would be disappointed if my Digimon DVD collection will be incomplete as I already own the first five seasons and Appmon has become one of my favorite seasons, and I'm also a fan of the Digimon dub in general.

I am excited though that we are getting more subbed Digimon streaming and I hope this means Toei will consider streaming the uncut subbed versions of the other seasons and movies. The only other subbed Digimon streaming is Tri and Xros Wars/Young Hunters and the first three seasons streamed on Netflix temporarily with subs of questionable quality a few years ago. The only subbed Digimon that's been released on physical media has been Tri so far. I saw Appmon back when it first aired and it was the first Digimon show I watched while it was airing. Now it's finally licensed I'm excited to visit it again. I know some fans were dismissive of Appmon early on because of the character designs but if you stick with it, it is a very rewarding series and one of the best that's come out in recent years. Tamers is still my favorite season of Digimon but I would put Appmon pretty close up there with Tamers.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I know some fans were dismissive of Appmon early on because of the character designs but if you stick with it, it is a very rewarding series and one of the best that's come out in recent years. Tamers is still my favorite season of Digimon but I would put Appmon pretty close up there with Tamers.

Agreed! Lots didn't like the phone app idea, and yeah I thought it sounded silly too. But honestly, most people that watched it through till the end really really enjoyed it. It really is one of the top Digimon series, and I HIGHLY recommend watching it through!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Agreed! Lots didn't like the phone app idea, and yeah I thought it sounded silly too. But honestly, most people that watched it through till the end really really enjoyed it. It really is one of the top Digimon series, and I HIGHLY recommend watching it through!
I also highly recommend going in blind and avoiding spoilers.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
Hoah ship I'll finally be able to watch this legally! <3
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
Woah! I had given up on it ever getting released here after all this time. The fact it's a subbed release is even better. Not quite ready for a rewatch yet, but I'll go ahead and watch at least one episode to celebrate.

Would be nice if Crunchyroll could get around to adding subs of the previous Digimon series as well.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:24 am Reply with quote
I remember reading somewhere that Turner received the rights to air the show in the west, meaning it would have gone on Cartoon Network dubbed. Guess that was only in some European countries? Or they just decided to sit on it, or couldn't find a toy deal?
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:26 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The show came out three years ago and the consensus among the fandom seemed to be that Toei was hoping to secure a toy deal to get Appmon on TV. I guess the toy deal wasn't able to work out for them and they must have thought they would get more out of putting up as wide of release as possible on Crunchyroll instead.

That’s probably what happened. Toei must’ve initially felt so confident that the Appmon franchise was gonna be such a huge hit that they withheld the international streaming rights for the show in order to score bigger-scale deals from other countries.

Cardcaptor Takato also wrote:
I won't lie I'll be a little disappointed if we never get an English dub of Appmon at all

Never say never.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that Turner received the rights to air the show in the west, meaning it would have gone on Cartoon Network dubbed. Guess that was only in some European countries? Or they just decided to sit on it, or couldn't find a toy deal?

I can imagine that was only for European countries, but don’t take my word for it since the “42 countries” Turner licensed it for wasn’t fully specified. Maybe the US was one of them, but I’m not sure.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

That’s probably what happened. Toei must’ve initially felt so confident that the Appmon franchise was gonna be such a huge hit that they withheld the international streaming rights for the show in order to score bigger-scale deals from other countries.
I don't know why Toei didn't get a toy deal with Hasbro for Appmon since they already have a toy deal with Power Rangers.

Quote:

I can imagine that was only for European countries, but don’t take my word for it since the “42 countries” Turner licensed it for wasn’t fully specified. Maybe the US was one of them, but I’m not sure.
I'm pretty sure that was mainly for Europe as it was announced by Toei Europe's branch. I could see them trying to pitch it to Cartoon Network in the US but Cartoon Network abandoned kids anime ages ago.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't know why Toei didn't get a toy deal with Hasbro for Appmon since they already have a toy deal with Power Rangers.

Maybe they tried talking with Hasbro, but the latter company told them "no".

Cardcaptor Takato also wrote:
I'm pretty sure that was mainly for Europe as it was announced by Toei Europe's branch. I could see them trying to pitch it to Cartoon Network in the US but Cartoon Network abandoned kids anime ages ago.

Yeah. They could try pitching it to Boing---oh wait, Boing doesn't have a US division! Laughing

The only other channel I can think of is Boomerang.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Because the latter was through Saban and they lost Digimon a long time ago?

Quote:
I could see them trying to pitch it to Cartoon Network in the US but Cartoon Network abandoned kids anime ages ago.

And the non-CN shows get the worst time slots (see Sonic Boom and Mega Man: Fully Charged) plus Nick is still at their worst with treating other shows (plus even if they were good, Fusion's failure probably would have killed it's chances).
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:39 am Reply with quote
To both Cardcaptor Takato and OjaruFan2 about an English dub of this show: be careful what you wish for, you might get it. Remember what happened with Digimon Xros Wars/Fusion, even though the Japanese version was (and I believe still is) available on Crunchyroll?...
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

As NJ said, Power Rangers was through Saban. You also forget that this is a two-way street. Hasbro would have to want to make these toys ...

Appmon got bodied by two other failures. Digimon Fusion flopped, as evidenced by the lack of a Young Hunters dub. That would keep broadcasters away. Yo-Kai Watch was also a wreck. You might not think that's relevant, but look at Appmon's toys and compare them to Yo-Kai Watch's. Then, remember this happened:

If you look at the European markets that got Appmon, my theory seems to hold some weight. Yo-Kai Watch was successful in France and Digimon has a long history in Portugal. Both got Appmon dubbed on TV within short order.

The really surprising thing is that Appmon didn't even get a dub in Southeast Asia. IIRC, even Hunters was got a Hong Kong dub. It's also kind of crazy to me Turner Europe funded an alternate English Yo-Kai Watch S3 dub and nothing for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1