• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces Most Viewed Anime for Summer 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Why is listing the shows in alphabetical order such a huge problem to some people here? Confused

Presumably, they'd find a ranking according to traffic more useful. This is that but filtered by alphabetical order, making it impossible to know which is the most popular show on the service.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
That Shield Hero is still on the list shouldn't be any big surprise, given that it was considered prominent enough to earn a spot as the 5th series in the next season of Isekai Quartet as well as its own additional seasons. I'm a little more surprised about Isekai Cheat Magician, but not too much so; it may be bland, utterly standard isekai fare, but that still sells.

As for Shield Hero's CR numbers, its average rating is in the same ballpark as Goblin Slayer and SAO (two other franchises which have had their share of controversies) as well as the less-controversial DanMachi. Given that franchises like Hunter x Hunter, Food Wars, Demon Slayer, and MHA are all up much closer to 5, a rating in the low 4s on CR isn't all that impressive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
[GeGeGe no Kitaro] is dismissed by Western viewers as a "kids' show."

I’m not really sure if that’s the reason why. Many Shonen Jump properties (e.g. One Piece), Sailor Moon, and Detective Conan are “kids shows”, yet they are heavily adored by teen/adult-aged Western anime fans.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
I personally genuinely enjoyed Isekai Cheat Magician and I don't think it's that shocking that people actually like it. It's not the most original isekai anime but it was competently adapted, had likeable characters, and entertaining fight scenes and magic powers, and sometimes that's all you really need for a fun show. I also enjoyed it because it didn't have the controversies other isekai shows that season did like the Mom isekai or Arifureta's production issues and it was just a straight up traditional fantasy and I think a lot of fans liked it for that reason too. The only part I really thought was bland in Isekai Cheat Magician was Taichi, but I still thought he was likeable enough, he had a good chemistry with the rest of the cast, and I felt like the show favored Rin over Taichi anyway so he wasn't much of a factor in my feelings towards the show. But I'm the same way with SAO where I prefer most of the girls over Kirito. I'm more hopeful now after seeing a lot of people actually watched it that we can still get a second season since I felt like they were building up to something more at the end and there's still so much left of the story to tell. Or at least that someone will license the light novels. I am surprised to see that Bleach is still so popular because I feel like even among fans of the series, most fans always seem to tell me that the show stops being good after the Soul Society arc and the anime was never a complete adaptation and had a lot of filler in issues. I'm surprised they still haven't made more of the anime since Bleach is still so popular.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:57 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm surprised they still haven't made more of the anime since Bleach is still so popular.

I'm not. Though it has some enduring popularity, the anime was distinctly waning in ratings towards the end of its run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3