• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces Most Viewed Anime for Summer 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Isekai Cheat Magician, huh...

This is a mistake, right?
The show isn't all that great, even for an isekai.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
Did I see Bleach, everytime i mention Bleach in other forums I get a bunch of hate. But The numbers don't lie. Btw Bleach is a favorite of mine along with Naruto Shippuden, ect

I was reading the Bleach manga as it was coming out, and week after week people kept b*tching and moaning about how bad it was but I continued to soldier on because I enjoyed it, but that second to last page of the last chapter just killed the whole story for me. Now 3 years removed I can think about it, but when I first read it, it seriously ruined my day. Overall though, I still like the story, I'll just ignore that stupid ending and Bleach still has one of my favorite female character of all times (I mostly don't care for female characters).
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
You don't want to make the people you buy licenses from get mad at you for saying X is more popular than Y, do you? [Alphabetical order] makes them less likely to.

CR's main shows page is sorted by popularity by default. Not exactly the same thing as tallying up the results from a whole season, maybe, but it's not like they're trying to disguise which ones get the most views.

OrdepNM wrote:
By my count, Isekai Cheat Magician was in the top 3 new IPs for Crunchyroll in the summer - and in a season without shonen hits like Dr Stone and Fire Force it might have actually topped the list.

Something weird is going on with that one. It has more total reviews than Dr. Stone on CR, but the majority of them are one-star, with a two-star average. Magnet for hatewatching, apparently. Shield Hero is doing very well for itself, but I have to assume most of its 5-star reviews are brigaders or something, because otherwise I'm gonna have to adopt Miyazaki's stance that anime was a mistake.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:

I guess that explains why they dubbed it.
Яeverse wrote:
surprised SAO isnt on it.

That surprised me too. People might have taken a Summer break from SAO to get ready for War of Underworld Wink.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Why is listing the shows in alphabetical order such a huge problem to some people here? Confused

Anyway, not surprised to see mostly action shows on the list since that’s one of the most popular genres anime-wise in the West.

The shows that I’m currently watching are Zoids Wild Zero, Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise, and Go Astro Boy Go (which technically isn’t an anime, but I’m still listing it anyway since it’s based on the AB manga, and Japan was one of the first countries to get the show).
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
CR's main shows page is sorted by popularity by default. Not exactly the same thing as tallying up the results from a whole season, maybe, but it's not like they're trying to disguise which ones get the most views.

Popular doesn't always mean popular. Sometimes it just means "shows we want to promote that are popular to some extent but maybe not in the top 5".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:12 am Reply with quote
Interesting. Only about a third of those were even airing new episodes during the summer, and there were only 3? 4? series that were new last season. I guess this is why Netflix's binge model is working for them.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 am Reply with quote
People are also forgetting that some shows are not available in every region and these take the the total numbers of the whole globe so of course some of them wont be the same higher or lower. That will also effect numbers.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
In answer to the question posed, I watch every episode of GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) religiously every Saturday night. (When you're nearing seventy you don't go out that much!) Kitarou consistently scores in the top-ten by Japanese viewership ratings, yet it's dismissed by Western viewers as a "kids' show." Not too many "kids' shows" have episodes that criticize the Japanese educational system for white-washing the country's role in World War II, or portray suicidal mothers who go on a killing rampage, or any of a number of difficult or controversial subjects that Toei covers in this show that airs at 9 am on Sunday mornings in Japan.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Morry wrote:

Wasn't the Smartphone one a "most watched" too?

I do remember an apt comment in the unrelentingly negative comments section there. Something like:
You all be like "I hate this, this is horrible"--> watches every week.

Don't get me wrong- it was bad... but even I got halfway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Something weird is going on with that one. It has more total reviews than Dr. Stone on CR, but the majority of them are one-star, with a two-star average. Magnet for hatewatching, apparently. Shield Hero is doing very well for itself, but I have to assume most of its 5-star reviews are brigaders or something, because otherwise I'm gonna have to adopt Miyazaki's stance that anime was a mistake.

Shield Hero has more 5-star reviews than My Hero Academia and Dragon Ball Super despite those being far more popular and having many more episodes than Shield. So I don't think ranking by CR reviews is an accurate judgement.

Edit: I should have just said "more reviews of any stars" than "5-star reviews," as that detracts from my main point that Shield just has way more reviews in total than other more popular shows.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Why are 5 star Shield Hero reviews so hard to believe? Genuinely curious. I personally consider it a pretty great 4/5 and know a good handful of people who consider it a genuine A+ series. I saw it get ridiculously popular in my circles and local conventions.

Or do people assume it got a flood of 5/5 reviews because of that controversy?

Also, Super has A LOT of issues. Even the Dragon Ball mega fans I know wouldn't rate it perfectly.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
^They're saying that the number of CR star ratings for a series isn't a particularly accurate way to discern what shows are most watched.

MHA is a series that's been on CR for years across 3+ seasons, and by most metrics (including CR's past "Most watched shows" graphics they used to release) suggest it's one of their biggest series. But it has a total of 894 ratings on its page, compared to Shield Hero's 1286 for a show that hasn't even been out a whole year. DB Super was also such a highly watched series that the traffic from its episode premieres routinely crashed CR's servers, yet it has only 471 ratings.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm more amazed by Bleach's enduring popularity in the West or the fact that its anime adaptation is still incomplete despite such international demand. I'm reasonably sure a new series adapting the manga's final arc would be a big streaming hit.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Morry wrote:

So? this is for a 3 month period it won't be on the next list they do. Was there any controversy about the show to get people watching? remember no publicity is bad publicity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3