• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Joins Forces With WEBTOON for New Animated Content

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Considering that Crunchyroll advertises itself as the official source for anime they sure are spending a lot of money on western projects. That sends a mixed message though I understand the corporate appeal of owning content instead of merely having a license for it.

Nah. People in the comment section on the CR news article aren't throwing a hissy fit about it.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Aki_Leaves wrote:
For those interested, Tower of God and Noblesse were confirmed to be getting Japanese produced anime series' back in August. I don't think ANN reported on it.

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/08/05/tower-of-god-noblesse-anime-announced/

From what I've heard online, that is just a rumor at this point and it hasn't been confirmed officially, just like how everyone thought Overlord season 4 was "confirmed".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of webtoons. Wish they would focus on fixing their garbage apps and web player...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
So who is it for? I assumed people only go to CR because they simultaneously stream Anime with subtitles an hour the original broadcast.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Seems like lolCrunchyroll is too desperate for content that they went for Korean properties given that they are too inept to compete with FUNimation.

I don't think it is due to ineptitude, but rather it seems like Funimation has been spending more money on licenses since it was acquired by Sony Pictures.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So who is it for? I assumed people only go to CR because they simultaneously stream Anime with subtitles an hour the original broadcast.

It’s a race for content, and with everyone trying to lock down stuff, mining less notable countries and companies is the next step after all the big players are locked down. Crunchyroll came out in the original content wars falling flat on its face with the whole High Guardian Spice thing (which is still MIA outside a closed screening that apparently went over like a lead balloon) but it’s clear they think that mining original content FUNi and Netflix can’t outbid them for is the best way to stand out.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has never been exclusively about anime when they have an entire section devoted to live action Asian drama shows no one complains about. I never understood the obsession some Western anime fans have with making sure anime services remain culturally pure or whatever. It's always been kind of an awkward mindset to me for fans to have.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Considering that Crunchyroll advertises itself as the official source for anime they sure are spending a lot of money on western projects.

How do you know it's not going to be anime? Sure, they might go with a Western studio on these priducts, but they could just as easily form a production committee with Webtoon and hire Japanese studios.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I mean, I guess technically Korea is to the west of Japan but calling a partnership with Webtoon a "western project" is kind of dumb.

I wouldn't have guessed that Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe was made in Korea. I have only briefly visited the Webtoons website but I remember a lot of comics with a western art style and several comics mocking Christianity. That is why I am somewhat skeptical of what comics are going to get animated.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
So what you’re saying is instead of something cool like The Breaker it’s filled with phony no talent edgelord crap. Lovely.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Crunchyroll has never been exclusively about anime when they have an entire section devoted to live action Asian drama shows no one complains about. I never understood the obsession some Western anime fans have with making sure anime services remain culturally pure or whatever. It's always been kind of an awkward mindset to me for fans to have.

They might still have a drama section on the site but in reality, Crunchyroll hasn't touched a drama show in years. Use the season filter on the drama section and the last show was added in Fall 2016.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

They might still have a drama section on the site but in reality, Crunchyroll hasn't touched a drama show in years. Use the season filter on the drama section and the last show was added in Fall 2016.

Chinese animation has been on Crunchyroll for a while, though. (The Japanese dubbed TV cuts, that is.)
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
We need Solo Leveling, the rest doesn't really matter to me, tbh ;/
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
We need Solo Leveling, the rest doesn't really matter to me, tbh ;/

People on Twitter are saying Solo Leveling isn't handled by Webtoon. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, then it won't be animated by this collaboration at least.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Lore Olympus anime when?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4