• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Busty Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Blood Donation Drive Poster Sparks Online Debate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
36 posts in half a day, and no mention of any major franchises. Is this one of those times where I get to point out the irony of overreacting to a perceived overreaction? And the second layer of irony where I only noticed this article because everyone got offended over someone's offendedness? Because it sure looks it...Oh wow, and someone actually used the phrase "nothing burger." What year is it?

The ad itself seems pretty banal to me, honestly, but I feel like the overly defensive reaction to someone criticizing it says a whole lot more. Talk about proving someone's point for them.

People don’t want cute art banned because some angry feminist called it’s existence sexual harassment. Often times people have varied opinions on the subject of banning art perceived as sexy this leads to conversations and high post counts. Personally I don’t find her opinions offensive, completely wrong, but not offensive. The issue/offensive part is in the past people follow up by censoring their art because of the offended person even though they were completely wrong.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
1 - There's nothing inheritly wrong with the ad. If anything, there should be a greater diversity in the advertising, since all populational groups can contribute to blood donations. But nothing aside from that. Get muscled guys, anime characters, models, AV Idols, couples of all genders, sportspeople, etc. Promote it to all corners of society. Make blood donations an ubiquous thing.

2 - ~There are real issues that women and other groups in Japan face... and a busty manga character is not one of them. Hell, there are probably women who like her (lesbian/bi).

I mean, there's real sexual harassment going on, molestation going on, rape being treated lightly under the law, an archaic family law with no shared custody, few legal protections againts gender-based discrimination, as well as anti-LGBT discrimination, next to zero protections for the sex worker... The list goes on and on. The lawyer in question could spend her time with all this, instead of that ad.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:38 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Wait, is there another ad out there with a large breasted high schooler?

And, if a kid were to have found out the blood they got was thanks to this campaign...would they even care? They may get a laugh out of seeing a drawing of a large breasted university/college student being something that led to someone donating blood. Though, can't imagine that a person's motivation would even be on their radar.

I was asking cause the OP was making an incredibly laughable argument that was snark bait.

Hellsoldier wrote:
The list goes on and on. The lawyer in question could spend her time with all this, instead of that ad.

I mean she could do that and still focus on that too. Though for what's it worth Japan has a prevalent problem of sexism that one woman alone isn't going to fix.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:25 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Wait, is there another ad out there with a large breasted high schooler?

And, if a kid were to have found out the blood they got was thanks to this campaign...would they even care? They may get a laugh out of seeing a drawing of a large breasted university/college student being something that led to someone donating blood. Though, can't imagine that a person's motivation would even be on their radar..

Boobs aren't really as taboo in Japan as they are in America. You can find boob-shaped candies and desserts in a lot of Japanese stores. Butt-shaped candy and desserts too. All kinds of questionable body parts really. Kids probably would find it funny and just call her a "big boobed lady"

Although it seems this has become something of a meme on Japanese Twitter. With people posting various advertisement posters and calling them "environmental sexual harassment" under the hashtag #環境型セクハラ There's some funny examples.

Quote:
While I do believe that there should be more ads that would be for other audiences, this shouldn't mean that ads aimed at "cishet men" should disappear. It's an argument that I personally hate seeing, as if taking away things aimed at c-ms will then lead to others getting the spotlight. That's because I'm of the view that these other things should be added on top of, not instead of, things that are aimed at c-ms.

It's a lot easier to destroy than create.. In some peoples minds it's not enough that you have yours, other people need to lose theirs for you to truly be happy.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
[quote="BadNewsBlues"]
Ali07 wrote:

Hellsoldier wrote:
The list goes on and on. The lawyer in question could spend her time with all this, instead of that ad.

I mean she could do that and still focus on that too. Though for what's it worth Japan has a prevalent problem of sexism that one woman alone isn't going to fix.

Fair point, but I do believe in a hierarchy of priorities. And the list of really serious issues in Japan is big. I believe in a diversity in advertising. To be fair, I don't think she was advocating for the ban of busty manga characters or anything of that sort.

Crispy45 wrote:

Quote:
While I do believe that there should be more ads that would be for other audiences, this shouldn't mean that ads aimed at "cishet men" should disappear. It's an argument that I personally hate seeing, as if taking away things aimed at c-ms will then lead to others getting the spotlight. That's because I'm of the view that these other things should be added on top of, not instead of, things that are aimed at c-ms.

It's a lot easier to destroy than create.. In some peoples minds it's not enough that you have yours, other people need to lose theirs for you to truly be happy.

And that, my friends, is the problem with Humanity. A diversity in media content, advertising campaigns, etc, would harmonize society to a degree. TL;DR: Give the men-loving people some beefcake.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote
A update a few weeks after these events

The Red Cross has responded that they do not find the art to be an issue and anime tie ins have led to an increase donation of blood

http://otakomu.jp/archives/20387597.html

There was a broadcast of Sukkiri which is a popular talk show in Japan about this issue. They talked about the viral environmental sexual harassment joke tweets and interviewing some people on the street about it. They even featured the American man on Twitter who made the initial complaint.

Following this, people have said they see the marketing slogan "Made popular by social networking service!" as a joke to showcase how they saw an increase in sales.

https://twitter.com/vjroba/status/1190897449939812354
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if I should point out the review of the Uzaki-chan manga - the reviewer mentions that she is a character who happens to be busty rather than a set of breasts that calls itself a character. The manga is doesn't have much in the way of fanservice gags and cup size jokes when you actually look at it.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
I wonder if I should point out the review of the Uzaki-chan manga - the reviewer mentions that she is a character who happens to be busty rather than a set of breasts that calls itself a character. The manga is doesn't have much in the way of fanservice gags and cup size jokes when you actually look at it.

If you are referring to Rebecca Silverman's review here on ANN then I already quoted that in the first page of replies to this topic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4