• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds 1st 41 Episodes of 1986 Saint Seiya Anime With New English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that English-speaking people can watch the original Saint Seiya series. Here in Latin-America all the episodes were uploaded to Netflix on Tuesday with its original dub.
Weirdly enough, Netflix uploaded the Hades Saga a few weeks ago before adding the original show. Sadly they are using the Toei dub which replaced all the original voices, which fans didn't like so a company called Towers Entertainment managed to re-dub the Hades Saga with the original voices for a DVD release. Don't get me wrong, the actors from the Toei version are very good, but ever since Omega, Legend of Sanctuary and the new Netflix series they managed to get the original series' actors to reprise their roles, but I think Toei still insists in using their version, the same thing happened when it became available in Crunchyroll for Latin-America.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
In Netflix Latin America Hades it's there actually, the whole series is on Crunchyroll in both Japanish and the original Latin 90's dub.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
As someone who only saw the late-night Toonami/Adult Swim version of this with the Bowling for Soup "I Ran" opening, I'm guessing these are the uncut versions of the show? (No more weird blue blood?)

the Dic dub is extinct thankfully (and we don't hear that bastardization of I ran so far away by a shitty rock band) and yes it's uncut
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
I wonder what suddenly made Toei decide to produce a new English dub for the show. Not complaining, I'm just curious since English Saint Seiya fans were left with 2 incomplete dubs for over 10 years.

Netflix money. Presumably, they think this time the show will go beyond what ADV dubbed.

theNightster wrote:
Is Sentai even the company who is dubbing it? Because Netflix usually contacts the LA studios for anime

7Seeds and Saint Seiya CG were recorded by Sentai.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I avoided CG Saint Seiya like the plague so I was unaware but I do like this voice for Seiya, probably the most fitting English VA he's had, I'll have to keep watching to see how the rest of the main cast is
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Even if this show ends up with another incomplete English dub, I just hope episodes 74-114 will finally be available in English-speaking territories with subs.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It sounds pretty good so far. The ADV dub wasn't bad, but Illich Guardiola was an odd cast as Seiya with his thick accent, which was a bit distracting. The new dub is sort of like the new dubs for Sailor Moon and Evangelion. It's not outstanding, but it gets the job done. Bryson Baugas is a pretty good choice for Seiya.

The only issue is that the eye catchers and next episode previews aren't anywhere to be found.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It sounds pretty good so far. The ADV dub wasn't bad, but Illich Guardiola was an odd cast as Seiya with his thick accent, which was a bit distracting. The new dub is sort of like the new dubs for Sailor Moon and Evangelion. It's not outstanding, but it gets the job done. Bryson Baugas is a pretty good choice for Seiya.

The only issue is that the eye catchers and next episode previews aren't anywhere to be found.

that seems to be a trend with anime on Netflix, they always cut out next episode previews and eye catchers,
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
^ Not with Eva though, thankfully.

Each episode has 30 blank seconds at the very end, so maybe they plan on adding them back, or maybe some credits? I don't need to know every actor, but if I had worked on this project, I would probably want to be credited.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe they will finish it? I remember catching it when it first aired on Toonami way back when and I hated the dub but could never find another way to watch it fully.

It's been one of those shows that I really wanted to watch, but never could find a way to watch.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
This sounds awesome, but I hope they don't just dub the first 15 episodes and go all the way, we need the Asgard, Poseidon and Hades arc, hell, even the first five movies dubbed, dammit!
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
geepee wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Well that makes this the third dub of this series, but hey I don’t blame them here seeing how in the ADV dub out lead character Seiya was voiced by a creepy human being. Hopefully Netflix can actually dub the whole series too

that still doesn't explain why Sentai didn't bother to get any of the ADV cast back(when they usually do...)

Well, Illich Guardiola not returning as Seiya can be easily explained by the whole scandal of him dating one of his students getting him blacklisted. As for the rest, either they weren't available or Sentai really gave that little of a crap about their predecessor's previous effort.

I think the main reason is just because they thought it would be easier to just redub the show with the cast they already had setup for the reboot rather than try and get the original actors back and continue the dub with an altered one. At least this way we have a more consistent dub.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
This sounds awesome, but I hope they don't just dub the first 15 episodes and go all the way, we need the Asgard, Poseidon and Hades arc, hell, even the first five movies dubbed, dammit!

Best way to ensure that is to watch what Netflix has and show there's interest, spreading the word and such.

Last edited by Mewzard on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the main reason is just because they thought it would be easier to just redub the show with the cast they already had setup for the reboot rather than try and get the original actors back and continue the dub with an altered one. At least this way we have a more consistent dub
Viz and Toei did the same thing with Sailor Moon where they had the same voice cast for the dubs of both the original and the reboot.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 am Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Best way to ensure that is to watch what Netflix has and show there's interest, spreading the world and such.

I hope that works...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4