• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds 1st 41 Episodes of 1986 Saint Seiya Anime With New English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeviousDybbuk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:53 am Reply with quote
I started watching it when I saw it was on Netflix! I've never seen this series before. I'm watching in Japanese though, so I have no comment on any dubs, past or present. Anyways, hopefully they'll add more episodes!
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they will, episode 42 starts what is the most popular and memorable moment of the entire Saint Seiya franchise. Smile
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
As someone who only saw the late-night Toonami/Adult Swim version of this with the Bowling for Soup "I Ran" opening, I'm guessing these are the uncut versions of the show? (No more weird blue blood?)

the Dic dub is extinct thankfully (and we don't hear that bastardization of I ran so far away by a shitty rock band) and yes it's uncut

I kinda want to seek out the Dic version based on these two explanations now Razz
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
I kinda want to seek out the Dic version based on these two explanations now Razz

No, you don't. DiC's Knights of the Zodiac is absolutely horrible, with only 4Kids' One Piece dub surpassing it, & that's literally only because DiC didn't go to the extent of cutting multiple episodes into just one.

If you're truly curious, I actually watched all 7 DVDs ADV released for DiC's KotZ & wrote about it last year, while my long Twitter thread from when I watched the DVDs gives more than enough examples of just how bad it was.

Trust me, you'll thank me later.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:02 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
If you're truly curious, I actually watched all 7 DVDs ADV released for DiC's KotZ & wrote about it last year, while my long Twitter thread from when I watched the DVDs gives more than enough examples of just how bad it was.

Missing from that Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/LandofObscusion/status/1032457601622192129
https://twitter.com/LandofObscusion/status/1033503172340449280
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:08 am Reply with quote
Good for Netflix.

This is what I love best about Netflix lincensing TV shows and anime NOT produced by the platform, since Netflix's Originals that are actually good are few and far between anyway, and is the basically the only reason I still use it.

That being said, this looks like damage control from how poorly received the CG Saint Seiya, but well, I'n not complaining much since we got the original anime and the Hades Chapter in exchange.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn’t call it damage control so much as market saturation since Toei did the exact same thing with the original Sailor Moon and Crystal, only they’re on Hulu.

Either way, I’m not going to complain about the end result. Something else for kids to watch instead of I dunno, The Dragon Prince (which I don’t hate but I feel like the kids that are supposed to watch it do).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Either way, I’m not going to complain about the end result. Something else for kids to watch instead of I dunno, The Dragon Prince (which I don’t hate but I feel like the kids that are supposed to watch it do).
I'm curious to see how kids and their parents react when they jump from watching the more kid friendly CGI reboot to the more violent original show.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hasn't this franchise bombed every time it's been released in the US? You'd think Toei would learn after 30 years that not every one of their iconic-in-Japan titles is going to work everywhere. No disrespect to the show itself or its many fans in other markets, of course.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Hasn't this franchise bombed every time it's been released in the US? You'd think Toei would learn after 30 years that not every one of their iconic-in-Japan titles is going to work everywhere. No disrespect to the show itself or its many fans in other markets, of course.

Well, the Chairman of Toei Animation was the director of Saint Seiya for the first 73 episodes. That could be why. Also, if they ever do make a miracle and get more widespread attention to the franchise in English, it'll pay off by letting Toei have years of material to sell again to a relatively new market.

I'll never complain about Toei trying to bring one of my favorite franchises new life in the US.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Hit or not I'm just glad to have a way to finally watch the series. And for something this iconic and influential it's nice to know there's a way to see this story other than that lame as all get out version in the new CG series.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm curious to see how kids and their parents react when they jump from watching the more kid friendly CGI reboot to the more violent original show.

For kids I imagine it’s a godsend over Avatar clones. People...punch people in the face. That’s gotta make it more popular. Parents probably have reservations and they’ll see them early when a guy gets his ear sliced off in Episode 1.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I find it amusing Netflix rates the bloodless CG remake as TV-14 while the gory 80s original is rated TV-PG. Laughing

I'm planning to watch the whole series, but even if I end up losing interest, I'll still stream the remainder in the background. This is likely our last hope of ever getting a complete Saint Seiya release and I want to do everything in my power to help it succeed.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I think it's less about trying to make it a hit in the US specifically and more Saint Seiya is popular in other regions around the world and dropping it all globally on Netflix is an easy way to reach those fans and it's an added benefit if they pick up a few extra fans in the US too.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Netflix has officially added more dubbed episodes, up to episode 41, so it's caught up with where the subs are. I hope it gets a DVD release down the line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4