• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mashin Eiyūden Wataru Franchise Gets Animated Promo Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:03 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile Mirai Arise is still MIA
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
Wait, are they rebooting Wataru? And if so, it’s headed to Netflix isn’t it?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

That's going to fail then, almost no one in the west knows of this franchise by name and then you have the few people my age and up who may recognize the designs from Keith Courage, which is a shitty Turbografx game making it even more destined to fail.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
SRW Effect is still a thing.

Beatdigga wrote:

Doesn't sound like a reboot. If anything, I could see it maybe being a soft reboot. Keep Wataru and Ryujinmaru but have the rest of cast be different, etc.

Or maybe even just age everybody up and do a modern story.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
SRW Effect is still a thing.

Beatdigga wrote:

Doesn't sound like a reboot. If anything, I could see it maybe being a soft reboot. Keep Wataru and Ryujinmaru but have the rest of cast be different, etc.

Or maybe even just age everybody up and do a modern story.

If anything, SRW helped reaffirm how much I absolutely despised all those 8 year old destined-hero anime. Setting Wataru as the base for the story really muddied the water for SRW X. I play SRW to see the adults knock some sense into the angsty teenagers or help give them the emotional support they needed when the original show didn't, but seeing 30 some adults take an 8 year's words at face value and completely serously was utterly mind-numbing.

I've hated those kind of shows even when I was a kid (it just never felt relatable to me) and hate them more even now. I understand their purpose, but I enjoyed the children's shows of the later decades like Beyblade, Monster Farm and Medabots a lot more.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
The cynicism in this thread astounds me.

I'm actually stoked for a new Wataru anime. I was under the impression that Sunrise and BANDAI would have no further plans for the franchise and concentrate their efforts entirely on Gundam instead. So this bit of news is an awesome surprise!
Hoppy800 wrote:
That's going to fail then, almost no one in the west knows of this franchise by name and then you have the few people my age and up who may recognize the designs from Keith Courage, which is a shitty Turbografx game making it even more destined to fail.

It wasn't that bad of a game and it did its job: To show to gamers the capabilities of 16-bit graphical gaming.
Zerreth wrote:
If anything, SRW helped reaffirm how much I absolutely despised all those 8 year old destined-hero anime. Setting Wataru as the base for the story really muddied the water for SRW X. I play SRW to see the adults knock some sense into the angsty teenagers or help give them the emotional support they needed when the original show didn't, but seeing 30 some adults take an 8 year's words at face value and completely serously was utterly mind-numbing.

I've hated those kind of shows even when I was a kid (it just never felt relatable to me) and hate them more even now. I understand their purpose, but I enjoyed the children's shows of the later decades like Beyblade, Monster Farm and Medabots a lot more.
Really? Genki from Monster Farm was just an overpowered Deus Ex Machina in a kid's body and Ikki Tanrio from Medabots was a selfish loudmouth who was willing to gaslight his robot and his peers to get what he wants. They're not any better role models than Wataru was.
SouthParkboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say this, but Wataru is one of my favorite anime shows that hasn't got an American release. I love the animation and stories that make it feel like an anime version of a Disney Afternoon show. Also nearly all the cast went to do the One Piece anime show which shows that Mashin Eiyuden Wataru might of had some influence on One Piece. Also while I am okay with a Wataru reboot, it will be sadly not the same without it's character designer, the great and underrated Toyoo Ashida who tragically died before this was announced and his designs are what made that anime fun and brilliant to me. I actually like him doing character designs more than him directing cause his designs have good colors and are very bright and beautiful while still being cartoony like Tex Avery and Fleischer.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
The cynicism in this thread astounds me.

This is the kind of audience that awaits Wataru in the west I'm afraid. They expect all mecha to be Gundam or Eva. Which is sad.

Quote:
Really? Genki from Monster Farm was just an overpowered Deus Ex Machina in a kid's body and Ikki Tanrio from Medabots was a selfish loudmouth who was willing to gaslight his robot and his peers to get what he wants. They're not any better role models than Wataru was.

Not to mention Takao from Beyblade for some reason, has had all of his previous character development erased in all iterations and remained stupidly abrasive all throughout, and this is especially egregious in G Revolution. Unlike Wataru who remained constant in his character development in the show.

And as someone who played SRWX and watched Wataru, I can say that that guy is missing the point of the game's story and themes. If Wataru isn't the way that he is, he will not be chosen as the Savior of the realm in the first place. The Dragon God's standard is obviously not of the modern day standard of the isekai protagonist.

I wonder if this is a reboot, remake or sequel, though.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
trescaballeros wrote:
This is the kind of audience that awaits Wataru in the west I'm afraid. They expect all mecha to be Gundam or Eva. Which is sad.

It doesn't help matters either that rainbows are also a constant theme of the show. That won't sell unless the characters are gay or lesbian. Confused
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
trescaballeros wrote:

It doesn't help matters either that rainbows are also a constant theme of the show. That won't sell unless the characters are gay or lesbian. Confused

American leftist culture is so crazy I can't even.

Also, I realized that all the Western hostility towars Wataru both in SRWX and the show itself is that they believe anime protagonists should not be paragons(like he is), but either a wimpy loser or enternally angry, misanthropic, nihilistic and ruthless. Anyone who is a wide eyed idealist who actually knows right and wrong and is not eternally angry, like what Wataru is, is to borrow that guy's words, mind numbingly stupid, and must be told off or shut down, the more heavy handed(hello Brightslap), the better. Again, really sad. And unfortunate.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:36 am Reply with quote
I would love a modern Wataru series. I have a few of the recent figures and kits they've released and I guess I'm one of the few who like them in SRW. SRW has been keeping the franchise alive all these years.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:26 am Reply with quote
Well, studios rebooted/remade Mazinger, Jeeg, Gaiking, GeGeGe no Kitaro... why Wataru should be not? Specially since it keeps some recognition in Japan -or so I think-

Besides, the running hour says it'd be aimed at kids. So... why so much hate?
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Well, studios rebooted/remade Mazinger, Jeeg, Gaiking, GeGeGe no Kitaro... why Wataru should be not? Specially since it keeps some recognition in Japan -or so I think-

It was wildly popular in its time not just in Japan, but also in China and other Chinese speaking territories. And it has left such a deep impression that it's still remembered in East Asian circles up until now.

Quote:
Besides, the running hour says it'd be aimed at kids. So... why so much hate?

This always seems to be the case when news about a retro mecha show aimed at the younger audience is announced in the West. I remember the same reaction when the news of the Raijin-oh DVD release was announced way back. I dunno, maybe Western fans have this impression that all mecha anime released there, or even talked about there, should be aimed at older audiences? Kinda the same with my previous comment about expecting all mecha shows to be Gundam or Eva.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
trescaballeros wrote:
Also, I realized that all the Western hostility towars Wataru both in SRWX and the show itself is that they believe anime protagonists should not be paragons(like he is), but either a wimpy loser or enternally angry, misanthropic, nihilistic and ruthless. Anyone who is a wide eyed idealist who actually knows right and wrong and is not eternally angry, like what Wataru is, is to borrow that guy's words, mind numbingly stupid, and must be told off or shut down, the more heavy handed(hello Brightslap), the better. Again, really sad. And unfortunate.

So essentially, for Westerners, all anime protagonists need to be like Shinji Ikari.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
That, and any eternally angry and edgy protag you can think of.

Let's not forget the "it's a show that aged badly and no one outside Asia cares about it anymore" line as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2