• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best New Anime From Fall 2019 Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
Charou wrote:

Related to that, I recognised that SAO has some amazing animation (sasuga A-1, unironically) but when I tried to watch it the basement-tier characterisation was a huge hurdle. Not so much for the same person who dragged Babylonia through the dirt, who gave the first ep of the returning Alicization a 4.5/5. Go figure! Smile

I managed to stomach sao's plot using a simple mind trick; since kirito seems to be central to several completely differnet plot lines I took SAO as if it was an anthology of the virtual world and every kirito was a different character; it made it more tolerable and even downright enjoyable in some parts.The disconencts/time jumps just helped and I also ended up watching at least two asunas.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
1. Stars Align - the ED alone would put it at the top of my list, but it also tackles some pretty interesting themes
2. Blade of the Immortal - i'm also not familiar with the manga or previous adaptions and as a standalone it seems pretty...um...fun. Wink
3. Ascendance of a Bookworm - what can i say, this is my kind of isekai...
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
My List would be:

5 - Cautious Hero: While I thought the first episode was just silly enough to be fun, and the faces the goddess makes are good entertainment, starting with episode 2 it's been more predictable and less enjoyable. Probably dropping soon, but if it branches out from just retelling the original joke over and over, it could stage a comeback.

4 - Babylon: It's always hard to process an apparent genre shift, especially when one of the refreshing things about the first episode was the apparent commitment to grounded, realistic crime drama. But the writing is solid and the production seems promising, and there seems a pretty good chance that when ep 4 airs we will get further surprises that may make the whole thing fit. This one is also on the bubble, but has promise.

3 - Assassin's Pride: This one is an ironic watch for the meme, but ep 2 was actually not incompetent in its action scene, even if the pacing and characterization remain at the "excuse" tier of writing. I'm more likely to drop this one than 4 or 5, but I also have laughed my butt off with this show already so it gets HUGE entertainment points to up the ranking.

2 - No Guns Life: Refuge in audacity. I still waver between this show being so anime it's great and just being waaaay too anime, but I'm still watching. I have to give credit to a show that just goes for it unapologetically, and the world it takes place in is right up my grungy cyberpunk alley. Not going to be anime of the year, but if it stays entertaining I'll stay with it.

1 - Oresuki: The only show I just actually enjoy so far is Oresuki, and even it had a really uneven end for episode 3 that makes me unsure if it peaked in the first arc. I enjoy when the characters are being believably conniving beneath their stock-archetype exteriors, and even the over-the-top adolescent drama is fun when it keeps you guessing and keeps events moving. I much less enjoy the maudlin "but he's actually a great guy and all the world was conspiring against him" self-indulgent fantasy or the "beautiful all along" cliche that undermines what made the rest of the show kind of refreshing and fun. We'll see.

So not a top tier season for me in terms of originals, but there are enough strong continuing seasons around that I'll still have some fun stuff to follow this season.

Key wrote:
I might not have marked Babylonia's first episode down quite so harshly if I had been aware of episode 0 existing at the time I wrote that, but even factoring that in, the set-up is still severely lacking. Maybe if it had been pitched as "sequel to" the OVA instead of just "related to" that might have helped a bit. I am not a fan of series which aren't marked as sequels which require you to have seen previous content in order to understand them and/or have played a game and/or be aware of the backstory behind how the series came to be in order to make full sense of why it's doing what it's doing in its first episode, and this series had all three of those factors.
I talked this to death in a different thread, but I continue to feel that franchise fans underestimate how overwhelming it is to come into one of these shows as an outsider. Even outside the world elements and magic gobbeldygook, I just don't know who these characters are. I've never been a Fate fan, and it sort of does feel like I'd need to watch at least a show or two to be able to understand Word Salad Babylonia.

Then again, I also think you could enjoy the show with your brain off as pure spectacle without needing to care much about the backstory. You don't need to know why superpowered waifus are kicking wolves in the face if you are just here for said waifu action anyway, so in that sense my issues with the series probably just don't apply for a lot of people.
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
My list is pretty simple.

5. Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious -(best to fool your allies, just in case)

4. SAO (Season 4) -(did time de-sync in the show?)

3. We Never Learn! (Season 2) -(Harem and the clueless tutor)

2. Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! -(Mile just wants the simple life with friends)

1. Ascendance of a Bookworm -(why isn't this talked about more?)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

No, Underworld has always progressed at an accelerated rate compared to real time. spoiler[This could change later in the season, however.]

Quote:
1. Ascendance of a Bookworm -(why isn't this talked about more?)

At three episodes in this also my top new title of the season, and I didn't expect that at all. It's a very different style and pacing than other isekai stories (or most fantasy series in general, for that matter), and I think that may be a turn-off for some. Also, people who are disliking it are more finding it boring than virulent disliking any particular element, and that doesn't drive discussion like hating on a title does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Top 5 new series would be Kemono Michi: Rise Up, Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun, Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life, Assassin's Pride, and Fate/Grand Order Babylonia. The best continuing series would be Sword Art Online and Fire Force.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mune wrote:

No, Underworld has always progressed at an accelerated rate compared to real time. spoiler[This could change later in the season, however.]

It did temporarily when Administrator got in contact with the outside world at the end of the first season, otherwise they'd be moving too fast to have any resembling a conversation.

Speaking of accelerating, I wish they'd animate the SAO x Accel World story, maybe as an OAV or disc bonus. I realize it's technically a AW story, but that doesn't seem to be getting a new anime any time soon and doesn't really rule out an OAV.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Charou wrote:

Related to that, I recognised that SAO has some amazing animation (sasuga A-1, unironically) but when I tried to watch it the basement-tier characterisation was a huge hurdle. Not so much for the same person who dragged Babylonia through the dirt, who gave the first ep of the returning Alicization a 4.5/5. Go figure! Smile

I managed to stomach sao's plot using a simple mind trick; since kirito seems to be central to several completely differnet plot lines I took SAO as if it was an anthology of the virtual world and every kirito was a different character; it made it more tolerable and even downright enjoyable in some parts.The disconencts/time jumps just helped and I also ended up watching at least two asunas.

That's pretty interesting, to render 'Kirito' as an archetype rather than a fixed avatar of a fixed player.

I really enjoyed the first arc -- as I suspected I would, given it's a pretty straightforward affair with a very interesting if vaguely familiar hook. The second arc struggled to match the pacing and depth of the first, as though the author had blown all their best tricks too early, and tried too hard to connect Ancraid things in the real world (I despised the out-of-nowhere Koyasu character which sucks because man do I love Koyasu), and that's where things started to fall apart for me. This ongoing need to connect things back to the protagonist and his immediate sphere that seems the stock in trade for self-insert power fantasy makes it hard for me to embrace your mind trick but please understand how envious I am that you can do it. Anime smile

GGOA was great but that doesn't count, given it's both a different author and a different studio. The SAO GGO arc less so, and again that sucked for me because it had Sawashiro as a main character (and a quite interesting one at that) but basically the whole show relies way too much on coincidence, which is a lazy writing safety net. As for Alicization, eeehh...kinda dumb really. Some good moments and as with s1 it starts really good but the forced melodrama had me very much in the 'meh' department precisely when I know I shouldn't have been.

But hey I gave the series a good try because the parts of SAO are all really good -- glorious sakuga moments, amazing OPs/EDs, a seiyuu cast to die for, great OST...it's just all held together by too weak a glue for me. Again, if it works for you, that's awesome.

Also, apologies for the rant; SAO:AWoU isn't even on this highly-curated list! Sad

____

Babylon's great -- how long has it been since we've had a show like this one?! Stars Align blew us away in a season where we suspected that a basketball anime with ducks was going to be it for sports -- at least until Chihayafuru turns up. Cautious Hero is, ironically, playing it a bit too cautiously with the casting of Umehara (too many Goblin Slayer flashbacks) but Toyosaki's killing it as the frantic, panicky Ristarte. Hard to believe she was the super-understated 'Robo' in JK not that long ago.

I've been pretty excited for this season for a while and so far it's delivering and then some. Even ignoring the obvious picks, there's a good handful of 'B' grade shows that are perfectly entertaining, not to mention returning and ongoing quality shows like KonoOto, Dr. Stone, Bokuno and Fire Force. I'd hate to have to limit my seasonal viewing to only a handful of shows this time around...
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Looking to be a terrible season so far. The only series I'm hyped about are African Office Worker, Blade of the Immortal and Beastars. Skeptical for Psycho-Pass 3 since Ubukata Tow is handling the scripts but with the longer runtime and Fukami Makoto returning to write a couple of episodes, who knows? I'm also watching Kandagawa Jet Girls, Houkago Saikoro Club and Rifle is Beautiful but those are mainly because I need some moe/ecchi crap that requires zero IQ to watch to cleanse my palette occasionally.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:48 am Reply with quote
In a general sense, my №1 pick would be Stars Align - it's got interesting characters and story, great animations and I'm delighted with those 2 episodes that I watched.

On the other hand, anime from fall season... nope, anime from 2019 I'm most hyped about is Babylonia and the reasons are simple: I love awesome sakuga and I love FGO. This adaptation got everything it needed: a powerful team and a huge room for production.
In the end, it was worth to wait for! We got awesome fights/animations each episode, interesting story/characters from game, a lot of fun moments that would become memes (or already became). I love that staff paid a lot of attention to ancient Mesopotamia/Uruk and it's culture - a lot of buildings/designs/dialogues were made with Mesopotamia's history in mind.
steelmirror wrote:
I've never been a Fate fan, and it sort of does feel like I'd need to watch at least a show or two to be able to understand Word Salad Babylonia.

But the thing is... none of previous Fate series would be able to help you to understand FGO. It was made/designed that way, that it would be as much newcomers friendly as possible and most of connections to previous fate works are akin to fanservice. Heck, it even got different timeline and this is why Olga from Case Files and Olga from Fate/Grand Order are different. Even CF writer himself stated that if Olga from FGO met Waver/Reines, she would have another fate.

So, every FGO character were introduced in it's story: Chaldea (Mashu etc) didn't appear in any previous fate work and it got enough of exposition in OVA and ep. 0; Gilgamesh/Enkidu and Merlin got introduction in ep. 2 and Ishtar would be introduced later (I mean, the reason of her appearance in form of pseudo-servant).

Even the whole concept of time-travel is new to fate franchise - previously it was mostly about grail wars (F/Z, FSN, F/A, F/E).
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:08 am Reply with quote
The most interesting series of the season so far is Beastars by a long shot. Still waiting for Psycho Pass 3 to reach a definite conclusion, but the chances of it being an actual competition are very slim. My thoughts on some other series:

Cautious hero - dropped after 2 episodes. Not really funny, Ristarte is trying to save the whole show by herself, also it looks very cheap.

Babylon - cool, but it's trying too hard to be adult-y. Maybe because I have seen the issues it adresses before in many series, but the series is not near as edgy, original or clever, or even as dramatic as it thinks it is. Will continue though.

Kemono Michi - Feels like a toned-down Konosuba with a twist of animals and wrestling. The witty writing is there, but the series as a whole doesn't offer much yet. Will continue.

Boku no Hero Academia 4 - Same old recipe. It does try to up the stakes a bit. Let's see how it goes.

Shokugeki no Souma 4 - Got literally dizzy in the premiere. Too many things happening with such limited animation that still look pretty.

Nanatsu no Taizai 3 - Horrendous. Dropped at first episode. The story was never anything special so when you take out all of the good animation and add censorship it really becomes a trainwreck.

Blade of the Immortal - I thought I would like it but it didn't win me over. The color palette is too dark, it reminded me too much of Shigurui before I even knew that it was from the same director, something felt lacking and no matter the violence nothing shocked me. Dropped.

Tokunana - Mediocre. Not good, not bad, in all of its aspects. This is actually tiresome to sit through, so dropped.

LotGH (if it counts) - very nice and still continues to be on track with the previous season. How bad could anything get with such super strong material?
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Oof, the List and thread are making me feel the burn of both (a) not following MHA and (b) not having a Funi subscription.

Personal list:

5. Iruma-Kun
4. Bookworm
3. Average Abilities
2. FGO Babylonia
1. OreSuki
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:09 am Reply with quote
[quote="HAL14]:
Babylon: Liked the first two eps, although the 3rd kind of jumped the shark at the end. like Oresuki, i'm worried where it will go from here[/quote]
Jumped it right into the worst trope territory spoiler[a “woman as evil seductress” trope, played straight, with no significant female characters besides the villain(ess). Just left me with a bad “this story is sexist” taste in my mouth]
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:12 am Reply with quote
I only care about 3 shows. Beastars and Stars Align are currently tied for top spot. Babylon is below those two. I will wait and see which one comes out on top. Maybe I can make a decision by 3rd ep.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
My list:

5. Null because I'm only watching four new shows
4. Cautious Hero: the comedy is super fun, but the serious action bored me to tears. This is really going to depend on the strength of its ensemble cast
3. Fate/Grand Order - Babylonia: The upskirt shots knocked it down a peg for me, and Ritsuka is as boring a protagonist as you can get, but I'm really enjoying seeing Gilgamesh in a new context. Uruk is breathtaking as well.
2. Outburst Dreamer Boys: I'm pretty sure like five people are watching this show, and that's too bad because it's incredible. Expressive animation, great sense of humor and comedic timing, and I really love the characters so far. This is going to be the season's underappreciated gem.
1. Stars Align: Basically what everyone else has said already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4