• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime's English Dub to Return With Episode 575

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
about damn time,

ill throw my 2 cents, is it possible toei themselves also made them wait to throw this as announcement for the 20th anniversary??

thoughts?

in any case im very glad that the dub has made its return, just as I have finally picked my feet up on collecting it as well.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
They'd better record faster than 13 episodes each 3 months, otherwise they'll never shrink the gap. Also releasing the Dvds in groups of 25-26 would be a lot better than the single-cour Dvds, given it's such a lengthy show.

They won't do that, cause it's more profitable to do 12-13 episodes at a time, cause they know some people would be willing to pay more for newly dubbed episodes. And if they did do 24-26 episode sets and caught up, they would only be able to do 1-2 releases a year after that, given the anime only releases about 50 episodes a year. It would make sense for them to try and release a 12-13 episode set about every month and a half (so around 100 episodes across 8 sets a year), and then slowly cut back to around 4-5 once they start getting close.

Ultimate N wrote:
Funnily enough I actually knew this was gonna happen. I mean when you really take a step back and think about it it does make sense. Funimation wanted to take some time and focus on dubbing all the TV specials that came out, so they decided to take a short break from the show to do that. I mean since they don't simuldub One Piece they gotta take a little more time with the show so they decided to instead focus on the other properties they had yet to cover. Now they've finished all the specials so of course they're gonna continue the dub. I mean it's not like they didn't have the rights to the series anymore.

I think it's the other way around to be honest. FUNimation aren't just gonna randomly take a massive break to dub a bunch of TV specials when they were already so far behind, and not many people care about the TV specials in the first place. I think what most likely happened is that due to the licensing of the Punk Hazard arc dragging out, they had to fill the gap with something so they could keep making some money off the franchise. Normally when there is a gap between the voyages they would release the collections, but the gap between the voyages and collections was smaller this time, so they caught up within months (there was also a massive gap between seasons 3 and 4, but they didn't release any new content then, because up until that point they hadn't re-released any of the voyages as collections yet, so they had a little over 200 episodes to release as collections) before they could start releasing the next season. So they had no choice but to turn other media such as movies or TV specials (they likely only did the most recent TV specials because they already had the rights to them, when they simulcast them). Also, there are still plenty of movies and TV specials they hadn't dubbed yet.

As for what caused the delay in licensing the Punk Hazard arc? I'm guessing it may have something to do with getting the music rights for the opening 'Hands Up!'. I remember back when the arc was being simulcast, FUNimation & Crunchyroll weren't initially able to get the rights for it. Crunchyroll were eventually able to get the rights, but for only 10 episodes. Although they would never disclose the reasons, back when season 4's licensing dragged on, some speculated it was due to trying to get the rights to ending 14 'Mirai Kokai', which they didn't end up getting, as well as the rights to dub the openings & endings (which they stopped doing since season 4). So I'm guessing getting the rights to that opening may had been what caused the delays, and wouldn't be surprised if we don't get it.

DavetheUsher wrote:
I figured it was a Conan situation. The TV series itself doesnt sell but the stand alone movies and specials do okay so they're safe to dub.

Guess we'll see if they go on another year long hiatus after this batch.

Nah, One Piece has always been one of their best sellers since they got it almost a decade ago. It's just that the series is often times hard to license, since it uses the sponsorship system as opposed to the production comittee system, and is animated a studio that is owned by a massive corporation in Toei. Also, it being a long-running show with so many characters that come and go makes it difficult to dub consistently.

As for whether or not we'll get another break? Well this isn't the first time it's happened, so nothing to say it'll be their last. It will mainly depends on how many episodes they licensed this time. We probably won't get another new movie for at least 3 years so they likely won't be putting it on hold for something like that (like they usually do).

Cain Highwind wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Yet they still haven’t touched the earlier movies...

This is what bugs me. Like come ooooooon Funimation. At least do Episode of Chopper to complete the other remake specials.

I think they just haven't done them yet cause whenever they take a break from dubbing the series, newer stuff takes precedence over old stuff. I mean, even with the TV specials, they only dubbed the most recent ones (most likely cause they already licensed those for their simulcast), as they haven't even dubbed Episode of Nami, Luffy and Merry (which were released only a few years earlier than the ones they recently dubbed).

ARC-1300 wrote:
about damn time,

ill throw my 2 cents, is it possible toei themselves also made them wait to throw this as announcement for the 20th anniversary??

thoughts?

in any case im very glad that the dub has made its return, just as I have finally picked my feet up on collecting it as well.

I doubt it, cause such a long break could be detrimental to the dub (eg. dubbed only would get sick of waiting and move onto sub). And if that was the case, they would've most likely announced it at the premiere of Stampede or when it officially hit theatres nationwide (not on just some random day in-between those events).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
Funnily enough I actually knew this was gonna happen. I mean when you really take a step back and think about it it does make sense. Funimation wanted to take some time and focus on dubbing all the TV specials that came out, so they decided to take a short break from the show to do that. I mean since they don't simuldub One Piece they gotta take a little more time with the show so they decided to instead focus on the other properties they had yet to cover. Now they've finished all the specials so of course they're gonna continue the dub. I mean it's not like they didn't have the rights to the series anymore.

Yeah, I expected as much, too. I didn't think they outright stopped dubbing the series, but I could see where people were getting frustrated at the lack of response about it. Considering how much they've dubbed so far, how much there is ahead of them, and the sheer number of simuldubs, I wouldn't be surprised if a decision was made to slow down with One Piece for a while to avoid burnout. I know they change directors from time to time, and been to panels where somebody jokes a little that everybody takes a turn with One Piece, but the main cast doesn't get to swap with somebody for a while.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
If Manga UK can license and release them (sub-only), then so can FUNi, and Toei ALWAYS gives the UK the short end of the stick.
It just doesn’t really make sense why Funi would miss out on making more money off a franchise unless there was some other reason we don’t know about why they don’t have those movies. And usually when a company doesn’t release something like this after a long time it usually seems to be some sort of licensing limbo issue.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
If Manga UK can license and release them (sub-only), then so can FUNi, and Toei ALWAYS gives the UK the short end of the stick.
It just doesn’t really make sense why Funi would miss out on making more money off a franchise unless there was some other reason we don’t know about why they don’t have those movies. And usually when a company doesn’t release something like this after a long time it usually seems to be some sort of licensing limbo issue.
From Funis perspective there may not be any reason to spend the time and resources on dubbing them. I've seen all the early ones, and aside from 6(the Mamoru Hosoda one), there isn't really anything of note. So only the more dedicated fans will bother spending money on them. i suppose they could release them sub, but I think that would not go down well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Not the first time they had a hiatus with this show since the same happened in 2011 with season 4 (G8 finale-Water 7). The only difference here is that it took longer and the specials they previously streamed got releases in the meantime (plus the fan freak out wasn't as huge compared to back then if anyone remembers).

Cain Highwind wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Yet they still haven’t touched the earlier movies...

This is what bugs me. Like come ooooooon Funimation. At least do Episode of Chopper to complete the other remake specials.

Not enough people cared for Movie 8 when that came out so why would they risk getting 9 on it's own?

MarshalBanana has a point since the general reception on the older films was that with the exception of 6 and maybe 4, the rest of them were forgettable.

I personally want to see 6 released here myself since it was by Hosoda (who I have been a fan of since The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) and it used to bug me when FUNi was promoting him as the "Next Miyazaki" when they don't have the movie that seemed to be his response to Miyazaki.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Yeah, I expected as much, too. I didn't think they outright stopped dubbing the series, but I could see where people were getting frustrated at the lack of response about it. Considering how much they've dubbed so far, how much there is ahead of them, and the sheer number of simuldubs, I wouldn't be surprised if a decision was made to slow down with One Piece for a while to avoid burnout. I know they change directors from time to time, and been to panels where somebody jokes a little that everybody takes a turn with One Piece, but the main cast doesn't get to swap with somebody for a while.

I think there are of course times where they decide to slow down, but I doubt this most recent hiatus was one of those times, as they seemingly completely stopped, and are now planning on dubbing at a faster rate. I think what happened is they simply dubbed all the episodes they had licensed, and negotiations for the next batch dragged out, so they gave us the TV specials in the meantime. As for the main cast, I think a big factor is that the three female cast members all became mothers within the last 9 years, so they're a lot busier now. Not to mention Patrick Seitz being LA-based (as well as a few others) makes their time limited.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
From Funis perspective there may not be any reason to spend the time and resources on dubbing them. I've seen all the early ones, and aside from 6(the Mamoru Hosoda one), there isn't really anything of note. So only the more dedicated fans will bother spending money on them. i suppose they could release them sub, but I think that would not go down well.

Well there has always been demand for the movies ever since funimation first licensed the series. And one of the previous brand managers for the series did state they were interested in doing them, and asked for a lot more than the TV specials. I think they're just very low priority because they're old. When they dubbed the TV Specials, they only dubbed the most recent ones. And we only got those TV Specials because they needed something to fill the gap during the break (last time they had a long hiatus in 2011, they released the collections, but most recently after season 9 they only had enough for a couple). So the way I see it is, they'll only ever dub things outside of the episodes when they have a long break, and whatever's the newest content at that time will have higher priority. Only exception to this is new movies, cause those make a lot of money and are usually very high demand.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, this news made my day.

And thank you for all the info, AutoOps007. I'm a newer One Piece fan and your posts have answered a lot of questions I've had. Razz
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, gonna be good to have it back.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Well, this news made my day.

And thank you for all the info, AutoOps007. I'm a newer One Piece fan and your posts have answered a lot of questions I've had. Razz

You're welcome man, but keep in mind that most of what I said was mainly just educated guesses based on small pieces of info we get here and there, and general knowledge of how this stuff typically works, so don't quote me on anything.

All I can really say with confidence is that FUNimation has stated the episodes has always been their main priority, as well as releasing new movies as soon as possible. Anything else that we get aside from those is more than likely due to the dub being delayed for some reason or another (my guess is mainly due to contract negotiations, since they used to announce seasons where they confirmed exactly which episodes were licensed, and also Toei anime typically taking longer to get licensed in general) for reasons outside their control/can't be helped (well, at least not anytime soon). And also that, One Piece has always been one of their biggest properties since they got it, and has always sold well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2