• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Add Robotech TV Series, Films to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Transformers03 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
So basically for better or worse robotech happened way back in the day and while not everyone hates it they also just want the original releases of macross and others in the west in addition to robotech but harmony Gold basically refuses to release all or some of the nonblenderized versions of the said blenderized show known as robotech?

Harmony Gold aren't the only issue. While anime fans love to villainize them (and lets be clear, they are a bad company), but Tatsunoko and Big West are also to blame for this whole rights issues. I'm not an expert, however this whole issue stems from the weird laws in the 80s and companies failing to reach to understanding before things got way too complicated.

Can someone expound on the tatsunoko (original japanese creator/owner of all three non blended shows I assume?) As well as on big west? (Who or what is big west and how do they play into this along with tatsunoko?)
Transformers03

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

The only problem is that in order to do an HD release for Robotech, HG would have to literally recreate the entire show using these HD masters, which would obviously be a massive (& very expensive) endeavor. The only time something like this was done for anime was when Media Blasters digitally remastered Voltron by taking remastered GoLion & Dairugger footage, & literally redoing all of the edits to recreate Voltron. That being said, that remaster did wonders for Voltron, selling outstandingly well & even making remastered releases of the original Japanese shows possible. Really, for all we know, FUNimation could have had to agree to assist with HG in doing an HD remaster & eventual Blu-Ray release for Robotech, as FUNi has the ability to do HD remasters, in order to make this deal happen in the first place.
It's kind of sad to me how even though Voltron and Robotech were basically conceived the same way, Voltron is still pretty well respected by American anime fandom because the American company actually respects the original GoLion and the Voltron franchise stays active with new entries in the series as opposed to Robotech where outside of that boring recap thing, there hasn't been new Robotech animated content in like a decade.

I'm hoping that Funimation will somewhat change that. While I don't think we ever be as relevant as Voltron, I do hope Funimation will market the hell of the show. I have faith they will respect the original source material and Robotech, though then again I may be overestimating how much control Funimation will actually have on the series.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
So basically for better or worse robotech happened way back in the day and while not everyone hates it they also just want the original releases of macross and others in the west in addition to robotech but harmony Gold basically refuses to release all or some of the nonblenderized versions of the said blenderized show known as robotech?

Harmony Gold has actually released all of the individual shows in their original form. They're all available to stream in Japanese with subs on Amazon Prime. In fact, there's even a faithful dub of the original Macross divorced of all Robotech-ness. People are mad that they're involved in blocking the newer Macross shows from coming over.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
FWIW you can still get Macross Plus and II on Amazon Video, but they're standard definition. If I had enough money I'd be importing the Blu-ray of Plus since it has the dub included (the final episode has a different voice actor for Isamu and a few other characters and the script is changed, but it's still a good dub)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
FWIW you can still get Macross Plus and II on Amazon Video, but they're standard definition. If I had enough money I'd be importing the Blu-ray of Plus since it has the dub included (the final episode has a different voice actor for Isamu and a few other characters and the script is changed, but it's still a good dub)

It’s a shame they never dubbed the film version of Plus, but getting Bryan Cranston in the booth is probably a bit harder than it was during the 90’s.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
If it leads to a Blu-ray release of Mospeada with the Japanese HD master then count me in....as long as they don't pull a Speed Racer and have it exclusive to a Robotech CE with terrible packaging.

As for Southern Cross, remaster, upscale or DVD-only, they can keep that boring piece of garbage.

As for Robotech, I don't really care for the adaptation myself but I do recall reading that Kaze was doing their own French Blu-ray release a few years back so I just wonder what happened with that and if this will lead to them resuming it.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:
So Funimation goes from releasing Shadow Chronicles on Blu-ray and DVD, letting the rights expire and now gets it back for Streaming.

Shadow Chronicles is not on Blu-ray, only DVD. I doubt it would look good on the format because that CGI is horrendous and having it upscaled would highlight that even more. Same with the 2D animation.

You're thinking of the A&E releases while he's referring to FUNimation who released it on Blu-ray in 2008.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Harmony Gold has actually released all of the individual shows in their original form. They're all available to stream in Japanese with subs on Amazon Prime. In fact, there's even a faithful dub of the original Macross divorced of all Robotech-ness. People are mad that they're involved in blocking the newer Macross shows from coming over.

Yeah, I was going to point this out as well, you can (or could about a decade earlier) get the unaltered official versions of the 3 series in the US on DVD so that is less of an issue now. What the primary issue now for most people in that these 3 petty companies involved are actively blocking the licensing of the other Macross sequels in the US like Macross Zero, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, and Macross Delta because they refuse to compromise, leaving no legal options for North American fans to watch them.
Transformers03

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
They are NEVER doing Blu-rays for Robotech. There is no possible way that will happen because of the Big West ordeal. It's going to be the same DVD set with likely the same extras, except maybe now you get The Sentinels.

Not exactly true. While Big West has the original film masters for Macross & Southern Cross, Harmony Gold does have its own 16mm film masters for those two shows. Therefore, HG has the ability to do their own HD remaster of those two shows using the film it has, with the main difference being that a HG-lead Macross remaster would look somewhat softer than the Japanese Macross remaster, since HG has a 2nd generation master. Southern Cross, on the other hand, has no remaster in Japan, so HG doing one for that would look better, in general. Mospeada, however, is 100% Tatsunoko, so HG could simply get the HD master for that show that was done back in 2013.

The only problem is that in order to do an HD release for Robotech, HG would have to literally recreate the entire show using these HD masters, which would obviously be a massive (& very expensive) endeavor. The only time something like this was done for anime was when Media Blasters digitally remastered Voltron by taking remastered GoLion & Dairugger footage, & literally redoing all of the edits to recreate Voltron. That being said, that remaster did wonders for Voltron, selling outstandingly well & even making remastered releases of the original Japanese shows possible. Really, for all we know, FUNimation could have had to agree to assist with HG in doing an HD remaster & eventual Blu-Ray release for Robotech, as FUNi has the ability to do HD remasters, in order to make this deal happen in the first place.

Meanwhile, I do think that FUNimation wouldn't agree to this deal if they didn't get the rights to the original Japanese shows, alongside the Robotech stuff. Therefore, I'm sure we'll be seeing new releases of Macross, Southern Cross, & Mospeada from FUNi, at some point. Mospeada being given an HD remastered Blu-Ray release is easily the most likely, as it being completely owned by Tatsunoko makes that easy, but we'll just have to see what FUNi will end up doing with Macross & Southern Cross.

That's what I was thinking. Justin Sevakis in his Answerman feature even said that representatives of Harmony Gold that were looking in ways to present the show in HD. (animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2019-08-07/.148929).

Obviously they couldn't use the original Macross specs, but I suspected that they have their own.

While I'm confident that the original animes will make their onto Funimation's streaming services at some point, I don't know if they can release physical copies of the show. That would be awesome, but sometimes streaming rights and home media rights are separate. I'm actually really surprised that we are able to watch the original Macross legally in any streaming service, but somehow Harmony Gold or Kew Media Distribution have the streaming rights which is why fans can still watch the original animes on Amazon. There hasn't been any DVD releases of Macross, Southern Cross, or Mospeada, at least not recently. I wonder if it is even possible for anyone in the west, including Harmony Gold, to release physical copies of the anime. People point out that Mospeada is the most likely, yet I am confused in how Harmony Gold or Kew Media Distribution can have the streaming rights to the animes, yet not the home media rights.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Can someone expound on the tatsunoko (original japanese creator/owner of all three non blended shows I assume?) As well as on big west? (Who or what is big west and how do they play into this along with tatsunoko?)

There are resources out there on this site and elsewhere that will answer these questions:

https://www.google.com/search?q=robotech+controversy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech_(TV_series)

Tatsunoko
Big West
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I just hope Funimation gives Macross better subtitles than the other streaming sites have done. Those VUDU subs are impossible to read with how tiny they are and the timing for them is atrocious.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Excellent! Now I can finally own this series! Which totally only has (...carry the 4, divide by 3) like, 10+ releases to its name so far! Versus Macross' 2 (both very OOP)! Good good good!
Transformers03

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Excellent! Now I can finally own this series! Which totally only has (...carry the 4, divide by 3) like, 10+ releases to its name so far! Versus Macross' 2 (both very OOP)! Good good good!

Yes, but now it can come on Blu-Ray!

With that said, I would die if they somehow got around the legal hurdles and release Do You Remember Love? in the West. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that it will ever happen anytime soon, if ever.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
This reminds me of how people used to complain Eva had too many re-releases but even back in the ADV days Robotech had a ton of different releases.
NLScavenger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Not exactly true. While Big West has the original film masters for Macross & Southern Cross, Harmony Gold does have its own 16mm film masters for those two shows. Therefore, HG has the ability to do their own HD remaster of those two shows using the film it has, with the main difference being that a HG-lead Macross remaster would look somewhat softer than the Japanese Macross remaster, since HG has a 2nd generation master. Southern Cross, on the other hand, has no remaster in Japan, so HG doing one for that would look better, in general. Mospeada, however, is 100% Tatsunoko, so HG could simply get the HD master for that show that was done back in 2013.

They most likely have fourth generation film elements that were minted from an internegative.

It's not just the picture quality that is worse, but also the sound quality. HG only has access to COMOPT (combined optical) audio of similar quality to the Dragon Ball home video releases. As regards to Macross, they're not able to use the high quality SEPMAG (separate magnetic) audio from the AnimEigo DVD that was provided by Big West.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Can someone "calmly" explain this whole harmony gold/macross fiasco that has everyone up in arms?

To be completely honest it's no different than what dozens of other anime have and continue to go through. Actually, if I'm being fully honest, Macross is in a much better position than a lot of other anime is in. You can actually watch all of the original "Robotech" anime such as Mospeda subbed right now if you want on an official streaming service. Meanwhile there are still no official subs for shows like Shaman King, Konjiki no Gash Bell, Crayon Shin-chan, Pokemon, Digimon outside of Fusion and Tri, Yokai Watch, Danball Senki, Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal, most of Keroro Gunsou, Space-Time Detective Genshi-kun, most of Detective Conan, Mon Colle Knights, and many, many other titles that were licensed under 4Kids, Saban, Viz, Funimation, ShoPro, and other companies who marketed hackjob dubs back in the day. Yet it's fans act like they're the only fanbase that doesn't have official, uncut, full releases for their franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5