• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Add Robotech TV Series, Films to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
UGH. Why Funi…?

*sigh*
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Redub of Macross without Vic as Hikaru? I can dream.

To be fair, Vic was hardly the problem with that dub. Nobody was doing that well. I think the direction was bad.

And while it was cute that Mari Iijima was reprising Minmay for the English dub, you could clearly hear there's a difference between being able to SPEAK a second language and being able to ACT with it.

I'm more interested in getting a BD of Macross Plus, anyway. I'd even be satisfied with the movie edition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:

To be completely honest it's no different than what dozens of other anime have and continue to go through. Actually, if I'm being fully honest, Macross is in a much better position than a lot of other anime is in. You can actually watch all of the original "Robotech" anime such as Mospeda subbed right now if you want on an official streaming service. Meanwhile there are still no official subs for shows like Shaman King, Konjiki no Gash Bell, Crayon Shin-chan, Pokemon, Digimon outside of Fusion and Tri, Yokai Watch, Danball Senki, Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal, most of Keroro Gunsou, Space-Time Detective Genshi-kun, most of Detective Conan, Mon Colle Knights, and many, many other titles that were licensed under 4Kids, Saban, Viz, Funimation, ShoPro, and other companies who marketed hackjob dubs back in the day. Yet it's fans act like they're the only fanbase that doesn't have official, uncut, full releases for their franchise.
That's not really an accurate comparison since at least in the case of most of those shows you can easily watch the dub versions of them but with Macross there is no official way to support the later series in any format even in a heavily edited localized version. Unless you import those expensive Japanese Macross Delta BDs or something. The most accurate comparison might be with Pretty Cure where the original show is streaming subbed on Crunchyroll and there have been numerous attempts to bring over later Precure shows and none of them have been all that successful but Toei still won't license out the subs of the later Precure shows in spite of some of them like last year's Hugtto Precure gaining international fame through fansubs.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
On the other side of the coin, the Harmony Gold nonsense remains one of the first, best justifications for the continued existence of the fansubbing community.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Fun, ironic fact from old podcasts I've listened to: Funimation had its eyes on a bigger share in Robotech after the relative success of The Shadow Chronicles circa 2007. They planned to invest in sequels to help HG keep the saga going in animation so long as they were given more creative control in the process. HG refused to cede any creative control, and this created a friction that eventually led to a split between the two companies.

Now we come full circle, with HG going back to Funimation, it seems. It will be interesting to see how this affects Robotech's future. As someone who has enjoyed both Robotech and Macross as their own things, there is a world where they can coexist--something like the plot of the Robotech: Battlecry video game (PS2/XBOX/Gamecube) shows the potential--but it would take some careful planning and boldness that I haven't seen from HG in a long, long time.

In the meantime, the seemingly superfluous Robotech live-action movie is like a ball and chain hanging over both Robotech and Macross in various ways, hampering movement in any gainful or meaningful direction.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the headline I figured Funi must have (sub-?)licensed it from HG or something.
How does Kew (whom I've never heard of in relation to anime) fit in to this? Did they license Robotech from HG and then license it from Kew, or does Kew have the rights to Robotech too for some reason to license it directly to Funi?

Just curious about the logistics of this.

I probably won't be picking this up, but I hope that it does well enough with it's fans to get some traction on bringing the recent Macross titles over here some how.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Can someone "calmly" explain this whole harmony gold/macross fiasco that has everyone up in arms?

Justin made a fair explanation of the situation not to long ago. I'd read that than anything here.

This is the article.

Answerman
Will The Macross Franchise Ever Be Made Available In The West?
by Justin Sevakis, Aug 7th 2019
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I’m cool with A&E/Lionsgate’s DVD boxset, which looks nice and is absolutely loaded with bonus features. FUNi’s release would have to be quite an upgrade to entice me to double dip. A reissue of the original Macross would be lovely (couldn’t care less about having the original versions of the other two shows, but I guess it would be nice for fans). It’s good the show’s now in the hands of an actual anime distributor that knows what it’s doing, although I would’ve preferred Discotek.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:53 pm Reply with quote
For those who do not know, the Japanese created an Official Macross channel on Youtube, where you can watch the various Macross series. (The Original SDF, Macross 7, Frontier, Delta, and the Do You Remember movie). And it has English Subtitles.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Fun, ironic fact from old podcasts I've listened to: Funimation had its eyes on a bigger share in Robotech after the relative success of The Shadow Chronicles circa 2007. They planned to invest in sequels to help HG keep the saga going in animation so long as they were given more creative control in the process. HG refused to cede any creative control, and this created a friction that eventually led to a split between the two companies.

Now we come full circle, with HG going back to Funimation, it seems. It will be interesting to see how this affects Robotech's future. As someone who has enjoyed both Robotech and Macross as their own things, there is a world where they can coexist--something like the plot of the Robotech: Battlecry video game (PS2/XBOX/Gamecube) shows the potential--but it would take some careful planning and boldness that I haven't seen from HG in a long, long time.

In the meantime, the seemingly superfluous Robotech live-action movie is like a ball and chain hanging over both Robotech and Macross in various ways, hampering movement in any gainful or meaningful direction.

I’ve mentioned it before but the people who have tried and failed to make a Robotech movie reads like a who’s who of Hollywood talent. Lawrence Kasdan, the writer of Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes Back, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, IT’s director, Aquaman’s director, and a summary pitch from Shoji Kawamori, who originally made Macross and Harmony Gold has done their best to screw him over.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:08 am Reply with quote
For those wanting to watch SDF Macross... Amazon Prime has it.. currently.

Don't care what Funimation does, I have no interest in Robotech. I would like to see other Macross titles in the US though.. Zero, 7, Frontier.. pass on Delta.

For those wanting a cleaned up viewing of the SDF Macross TV series you can track down Animego's remaster. It's not Blu-ray, but they did an exceptional job, not that you can HD a show made in 1982 anyway.

As for ADVs Macross dub.. I think I have the first DVD somewhere, it was picked up to have Mari Ijima autograph it.. I never bothered listening to the dub.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
not that you can HD a show made in 1982 anyway.

Of course you can. As long as it was produced on film (which Macross was) and those film prints still exist, you can remaster it into HD.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Robotech II: The Sentinels? Now that is a name I haven't heard in a long time. It´s a miracle that HG didn´t dump the Megazone 23 recut on them too. They must have lost the license for that "miracle" of editing. The industry's longest hostage crisis goes on. Give the people Macross Plus or give them death!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
It's not Blu-ray, but they did an exceptional job, not that you can HD a show made in 1982 anyway.

My imported SDF Macross Blu-rays say otherwise.

If you want to buy the Macross Blu-rays, get them. They are worth it.
It's unfortunate that the set is not subtitled.

As for HG's death grip on the Macross license and not doing anything with it. They are clearly insane. They need to take lessons from anime companies, as they themselves are not an anime company. I will keep this civil as possible, but I cannot sit here and let them ruin Macross. So, I hope they go bankrupt due to fraud. Their CEO did fraud quite some time ago. He reminds me of Bernie Madoff.

Ok. I'm done.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
As for HG's death grip on the Macross license and not doing anything with it.

Actually they've been putting out Robotech comics, table-top games, figures, and other stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5