• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Add Robotech TV Series, Films to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually they've been putting out Robotech comics, table-top games, figures, and other stuff.
When people say Harmony Gold hasn’t been doing anything with the property, they mean animated related content. The last animated Robotech content they put out was that Love Live Alive recap special which was about six years ago. They never finished making their planned sequels to The Shadow Chronicles and they failed to get enough funding for Robotech Academy. As far as I’m aware, those recent comics have mostly gotten mixed to negative reviews. Most fans seem to prefer the older comics.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Simon Furman shouldn’t be working on crappy Robotech comics. Let he of the Furmanisms work on a proper Macross show.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
When people say Harmony Gold hasn’t been doing anything with the property, they mean animated related content. The last animated Robotech content they put out was that Love Live Alive recap special which was about six years ago. They never finished making their planned sequels to The Shadow Chronicles and they failed to get enough funding for Robotech Academy. As far as I’m aware, those recent comics have mostly gotten mixed to negative reviews. Most fans seem to prefer the older comics.

Fair enough, I guess. Although the comic is on issue 24 which is longer than what a lot of Marvel/DC comics last for these days so it much have some kind of audience.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
For those who do not know, the Japanese created an Official Macross channel on Youtube, where you can watch the various Macross series. (The Original SDF, Macross 7, Frontier, Delta, and the Do You Remember movie). And it has English Subtitles.

No, I did not know that. Thank you =)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Fair enough, I guess. Although the comic is on issue 24 which is longer than what a lot of Marvel/DC comics last for these days so it much have some kind of audience.
It probably sells enough with a combination of what hardcore Robotech devotees are left that will blindly buy whatever the brand sells and casual fans that maybe grew up with Robotech in the 80s but didn't really keep up with the anime scene and probably see the comics at their local comic book shop. I'm just going by what I see from customer reviews at Amazon that it seems like most people have been critical of the art style and for some of the radical changes they made to "modernize" the story.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Also releasing a cheap comic once a month sounds like a good way to camp that trademark.

"LOOK COURTS we made 24 issues of a comic, dont you see how invested we are in the brand?"
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
For those who do not know, the Japanese created an Official Macross channel on Youtube, where you can watch the various Macross series. (The Original SDF, Macross 7, Frontier, Delta, and the Do You Remember movie). And it has English Subtitles.

If the title of that channel is 'Macross', I can't see any proof it's anything official. It only credits all content to its original owners on its About page, and that's it...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
Personally, I just don't really see the point as to why any self-serving anime fan really wants these releases aside from a purely historical perspective especially considering that the "show" was passed off as an American production, hacked together to appease television executives while fooling the viewing masses, and set an unfortunate example of what Japanese entertainment had to be reduced to just to create a fanbase over here.

It's more dignified at this point just to get the original Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada releases.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
@KabaKabaFruit

The only thing I could see would be if Robotech had nostalgic value for someone; perhaps they saw it when they were a kid, blissfully ignorant of where it came from and how it was made, and loved it. I can't fault someone for purchasing it for that sort of reason.

Robotech was a thing when I was a kid, but I never got into it. One of my friends was seriously into the show and the miniatures game though. I didn't see Macross until well into adulthood, and I saw it before I saw Robotech, so needless to say I prefer it to Robotech. I have the LD "Memorial Box set" of the original TV, as well as LDs for most of the spinoffs. I'm happy with those.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Robotech's biggest contribution to anime dubs was keeping in major character deaths intact at a time when most anime dubs were still cutting them out. It was also the first voice acting role of Wendee Lee as Vanessa.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

It probably sells enough with a combination of what hardcore Robotech devotees are left that will blindly buy whatever the brand sells and casual fans that maybe grew up with Robotech in the 80s but didn't really keep up with the anime scene and probably see the comics at their local comic book shop. I'm just going by what I see from customer reviews at Amazon that it seems like most people have been critical of the art style and for some of the radical changes they made to "modernize" the story.

I used to know a hardcore Robotech devotee - if it had mecha in it he disparaged it as a "Robotech ripoff". Transformers, Exosquad, Macross II (yes, really. and loudly), and I never got around to asking but I am sure he'd put Gundam on that list too. Strangely enough he adored the Battletech game and never called that a ripoff.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

That was the final issue and they just released "Robotech Remix", which has decent art compared to the ugly mess that was the original Titan comic...it's still Robotech though, and they also decided to rip off Macross 7's "Max is a captain and has a turbulent relationship with Miria now" plot thread. Also I think the new artist isn't going through the "effort" of tracing toy photos of the Valkyries/SDF-1 like everyone else did. I'm surprised nobody tried to sue the Waltrip brothers over it.

I think I should also mention most Robotech merch uses traced art without any sort of sourcing for it, meaning they are disparaging Haruhiko Mikimoto, Hidetaka Tenjin et al by putting this stuff on the market. No wonder Kawamori calls it pirated material, they don't want to bother because it's HG's property and they'll maybe slap a Tatsunoko copyright on but won't credit any original artists. For god's sake they even traced a Hi-Metal R Strike Valkryie photo for a shirt...way to rub salt in the wound on us not being able to have that kind of product available in the US via a retailer like Bluefin and instead giving us crap from a bootleg retailer such as Kitz Concept.

Gray Lensman wrote:

I used to know a hardcore Robotech devotee - if it had mecha in it he disparaged it as a "Robotech ripoff". Transformers, Exosquad, Macross II (yes, really. and loudly), and I never got around to asking but I am sure he'd put Gundam on that list too. Strangely enough he adored the Battletech game and never called that a ripoff.

That almost sounds like this one guy in the RT fandom who would do "rant casts" and spout incorrect stuff about Macross while also slinging insults at MacrossWorld forum members for hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5