• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
^
Interesting. The reincarnation process makes a whole lot more sense with that explanation. IOW, spoiler[Urano wasn't transplanted into the dying Myne but was her from the beginning; her memories of her former life just resurfaced at a certain age, much like in Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Huh, well that's interesting. I was actually puzzled at how spoiler[Myne was both so adult in her knowledge, outlook and intuition about people while also being so childish in her attitude and pursuits of book-making. To the point I couldn't make heads or tails about whether how much of the character was the actual "Myne" kid and how much the "Urano" adult.]. I Guess that explains it.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
This looked like such an innocent and merry anime before I started... thing is dark. Shocked
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:
snip

Yeah I wished they kept that explanation in the anime, would explain why she's as smart as a... well a six year old.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:
Quote:
Main character is disgusting at the beginning. She can make you sick until she grows up a little.

I have a feeling this has to do more with japanese culture than with the author feelings. I remember reading something similar said by the konosuba author, about lecturing the main characters if he ever meet them in real life. In japanese (and many asian) society putting your interests over the interests of the family/employer/group is a big no no and any attempt to say/do otherwise is seen as bad advice and statements like the above are the equivalent of those 30 seconds capsules at the end of 80s cartoons where they gave some kind of awkward moral advice.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
#Fim
What I had complained about how the church and it's members are represented in anime... it's tiresome.
I had already decided "to hate" that blue haired and this episode made no efforts to change my mind. The way he just stood there, watching silently and emotionless while the priest shouted about enslaving a child and killer her parents in from of her and her father fighting for their lives... I can't forgive him.

Our fears weren't unfounded.
That is not a nice world, the nobles with the church oppress and suppress all the others.

But I don't want to get mad because this was a very good family anime.
For me Myne's family was convincing and I'm already bitter that in the next season they'll be separated. Actually, I thought this would happen now, but Myne managed to have her request to live with her family approved, how will this change?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
The episode certainly didn't "quell misgivings" about the priest for me. I didn't really have any before, but I do now. He seemed totally fine with the threatening and murdering going on until it became clear that this kid actually had the power to fight back. Only then does he intervene, to protect the other priest (having felt no need to do so to protect the poor-looking commoners).
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
The episode certainly didn't "quell misgivings" about the priest for me. I didn't really have any before, but I do now. He seemed totally fine with the threatening and murdering going on until it became clear that this kid actually had the power to fight back. Only then does he intervene, to protect the other priest (having felt no need to do so to protect the poor-looking commoners).

I see it more that he was hesitant to interfere out of fear of the consequences he might face if he stepped out of line. When the other priest's life was in danger that gave him a reasonable excuse to step in and make things right.
HannoX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Those faulting the blue-haired priest for not stepping in to stop the temple head's order to execute Myne's father don't seem to realize just how hierarchal this society is. spoiler[Later in the LNs we learn that lesser nobles rarely if ever defy higher ones, even when the higher one is clearly wrong and disobeying an order.] Whatever their relative noble ranks, in the temple its head outranks Blue Hair. His entire life he has no doubt been told those of lower rank cannot be allowed to defy him and he cannot defy those of higher rank. And he may have thought trying to interfere would make matters worse with Myne's whole family being executed, not just her father. Nor do we know if he would have stepped in before her father was dragged off. After all, Myne's mana began manifesting the Crushing almost immediately after the temple head shouted her father was to be executed. It's also possible Blue Hair, knowing how those with the Devouring have access to the Crushing, was using the situation to get some idea of how much mana Myne has. As far as we know, the chalice only showed Myne has mana, not how much. spoiler[In the LNs it's clear that he is an ally of Myne's although like Benno he is a strict one and demands she learn the duties and behavior expected of a blue robe priestess, which includes learning how to act like a noble so she can function in noble society and try to be treated like a noble, not a commoner.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Obviously there are positive interpretations, and obviously we know in a meta sense that he's supposed to be a good person. But there was nothing in the anime that indicated the charitable conclusions folks are suggesting here, which is why I thought the "quell misgivings" line was unsupported.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yay, you're all back. How'd it go?
Well, I unlocked a new superpower and almost murdered the High Priest and his subordinate, but other than that, just swell!
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Excuses.
He didn't even blinked.
Until the end, until near the end of that subsequent meeting with Myne and her parents he showed no emotion and when he finally reacted was more to think about himself, not her.

How can anyone expect me to sympathize and expect anything good from a character like that?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Upon watching part of the last episode again, one thing caught my attention that I neglected to comment on in the review: the Head Priest's reaction to Myne's statement that there's no point to living if she can't live the way she wants. His reaction - about how he fails to comprehend that mindset - is, I think, significant. Having the freedom to live one's life (or not) on their own terms wouldn't have been common for the time periods that this setting is emulating, especially not for nobles that weren't at the top of the heap. I will be interested to see if Myne's views like that eventually start to influence him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Strong on the dark side of the mana, she is. Expected her to choke the high priest, I did not.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
His reaction - about how he fails to comprehend that mindset - is, I think, significant. Having the freedom to live one's life (or not) on their own terms wouldn't have been common for the time periods that this setting is emulating, especially not for nobles that weren't at the top of the heap. I will be interested to see if Myne's views like that eventually start to influence him.

I could be wrong, but I do not think the issue is not hat he does not understand the concept Myne just told him. The head priest is a human spare that was no longer needed and therefore sent to the church. We are talking about figures of 50% child mortality in medieval times and having as many kids as possible was not so long ago an unwritten rule, add peasant revolts or royal backstabbing and it gets worse. But seems the head priest older sibling reached mature age. What would someone feel if he was told "you were born as a spare, now take a hike!", that would be a though pill to swallow. Even thought he is at the high end of the social spectrum, he has little saying in what his life will be like. Yeah, he has the option of throwing everything to the proverbial trash can and starting a new life from zero in another country, but back then that would probably mean more hardships than accomplishments. Then suddenly out of nowhere comes a poor and frail six year old kid that spells in clear terms she will do what he can't, IMO that is more than enough for him to question his worldview, specially if he sees her doing the deed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 26