• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
While woodblock printing (of cloth, anyways) dates back to at least the third century in China, it didn't reach Europe until around the year 1400 - and Gutenberg was using his movable type by 1450. If 50 years is enough to come up with the idea mostly from scratch, it will likely be faster for someone who knows the destination. She isn't coming across as Senku here.

IIRC from what I was reading in researching for the review, the gap between the first block-books in Europe and the advent of the printing press was actually much smaller than that - maybe 20 years, if that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:13 am Reply with quote
Woodblock printing remained in use for a couple of centuries after the development of movable type. It was the way illustrations were added to books. Even now, craft stores will sell linoleum blocks to use a similar method for individuals to do their own printing. Back in the 1950 &60s that is how our family made Christmas cards. My father would cut the illustration into the block and the rest of us would take turns inking the block and making the print. Very Happy It is a fond memory.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:
While woodblock printing (of cloth, anyways) dates back to at least the third century in China, it didn't reach Europe until around the year 1400 - and Gutenberg was using his movable type by 1450. If 50 years is enough to come up with the idea mostly from scratch, it will likely be faster for someone who knows the destination. She isn't coming across as Senku here.

IIRC from what I was reading in researching for the review, the gap between the first block-books in Europe and the advent of the printing press was actually much smaller than that - maybe 20 years, if that.

It doesn't surprise me that the internet can give two people two different answers, although I really only did a cursory lookup rather than any in depth research. The point remains that much of what Main is doing isn't shonen super science like Dr. Stone - she is advancing things slightly rather than lighting off a science revolution. And, considering how quickly things moved in the real world, her pace isn't all that unrealistic when you factor in that she already knows the destination (it's the specifics of the steps along the way she has to figure out) which should accelerate things exponentially - at least when dealing with the medieval tech level she is starting from. She might jump start a renaisance period, but her world seems primed for that already to this viewer.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
What was the point of using the Nippon system instead of the Dewey one when she knows both?
Sure, the added category fits her usual endeavors, but the texts the library actually holds are mostly set in the one category it removes.

Gray Lensman wrote:
I'm not sure what the written word looks like in this fictional world as I'm reading the subtitles instead of focusing on stuff I can't read anyways in her books.

IIRC from Otto's reading lessons, they seem to use an alphabet similar to latin. So that's prime for print.

ThrowMeOut wrote:
This episode looked way nicer than usual. As much as I love Bookworm I'm used to the show looking like mush so it was kind of nice.

It was surprising. The face game was strong too.
And to make it better, it actually took the TIME to develop its subject matter in enough detail instead of haphazardly rushing through it.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
One interesting tidbit I came across when looking some of the stuff up for my earlier posts. I'm pretty sure that one of the reviews or early posts mentioned that Gutenberg was from the city of Mainz - but I don't remember anyone mentioning that the upper class in the city had been decimated shortly before he started work on the printing press - which sounds similar to the loss of many members of the noble class in the anime. Not exactly the same, as what happened in the real world in 1411 primarily resulted in 100 patrician families having to leave the city rather than losing their lives. Still, I thought it was an interesting note.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
What was the point of using the Nippon system instead of the Dewey one when she knows both?
Sure, the added category fits her usual endeavors, but the texts the library actually holds are mostly set in the one category it removes.

Gray Lensman wrote:
I'm not sure what the written word looks like in this fictional world as I'm reading the subtitles instead of focusing on stuff I can't read anyways in her books.

IIRC from Otto's reading lessons, they seem to use an alphabet similar to latin. So that's prime for print.

Most likely she's adapting from the Nippon Sysystem, not following it to the letter, just as the Nippon System adapted from Dewey. Nippon was created as a way to categorize books printed in the Japanese language. Books being put into the system apparently predominantly featured books on commerce and industry so those were greatly expanded. Religion was halved and psychology was shrunk to 1/5. Nothing was removed, just expanded and contracted as was dictated by books printed in the language.
It's a framework though and her system would have to be adapted for books printed in their language. As the library is now, there would be almost no need books on technology and industry. Less room than either Dewey or Nippon. There could be in the future, but she'd be writing them.
So that's where the logical place to expand would be, History through religion would expand but be in the same area. Psychology would still be a sliver of a nothing.

And technically, putting Magic at the very end makes no sense in either system, as the end in both is geography.
But is Magic religion or industry? Spell-craft? She would have to make a place for it, but it wouldn't be after the atlases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Most likely she's adapting from the Nippon Sysystem, not following it to the letter, just as the Nippon System adapted from Dewey. Nippon was created as a way to categorize books printed in the Japanese language. Books being put into the system apparently predominantly featured books on commerce and industry so those were greatly expanded. Religion was halved and psychology was shrunk to 1/5. Nothing was removed, just expanded and contracted as was dictated by books printed in the language.
It's a framework though and her system would have to be adapted for books printed in their language. As the library is now, there would be almost no need books on technology and industry. Less room than either Dewey or Nippon. There could be in the future, but she'd be writing them.
So that's where the logical place to expand would be, History through religion would expand but be in the same area. Psychology would still be a sliver of a nothing.

And technically, putting Magic at the very end makes no sense in either system, as the end in both is geography.
But is Magic religion or industry? Spell-craft? She would have to make a place for it, but it wouldn't be after the atlases.

I imagine she did reorganize a lot but even then the base she picked doesn't make sense for the setting - it's a church library and its purpose is reading sacred scriptures - one would think she has enough books there to justify having the religion index over the industry one.

Although admittedly I'm working with a few assumptions here and I have no knowledge of subindexes:
1.Commerce and technology, while quite developed already, don't seem to be so much so to justify so many books about them as to warrant separate categories.
2.Print doesn't exist yet. Were there that many books written about technology and business when they still had to be made by hand?
3.Again, I'm assuming the library mostly contains religious, philosophical and spiritual texts over any other.

Of course Myne knows that library better than any of us, but it still seems weird without further insight.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

I may be wrong, but I thought that shelf was only a temporary location for the books on magic.

From her discussion with the head priest, Myne was unsure of how to classify them. Unlike books on history, philosophy, religion or works of fiction, which were all from genres she was already familiar with, and which she could classify after a cursory browse of their contents, she had no frame of reference for books on magic.

With as meticulous Myne is concerning books, and especially considering her former life's dream of becoming a librarian, I'm guessing that she was going to hold off on classifying them until she had read them all, cover to cover.

Which for me, would also explain the temporary location for them. I thought she simply chose that bottom shelf for her own ease of access. She wouldn't need to ask someone to get them for her.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
With season 3 as an unknown at this time, does anyone know where I should start reading the novels to pick up on the events of next week's season finale?

Thanks!
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
With season 3 as an unknown at this time, does anyone know where I should start reading the novels to pick up on the events of next week's season finale?

Thanks!

Part 2 Volume 3 (overall volume 6). I would honestly recommend starting at the beginning of Part 2 though. This season left out a lot.
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:

Thanks!

On J-Novel Club website start with Part 2, Volume 3, Part 1. But looking at it now, it doesn't look like the rest of Part 2, Vol. 3 is available as separate parts. You can get the entire Part 2, Vol. 3 though at iBook, Nook, Kobo, Bookwalker or Amazon according to its site on J-Novel. Right now on J-Novel it's up to Part 3, Vol. 1, Part 4 as of last night. I don't know how far up it is at the places I listed.
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I just checked on Kindle. Bookworm is available there now up to Part 2, Vol. 3 with Vol. 4 available June 23rd. Part 3, Vol. 1 will be available on Aug. 12th. I imagine it'll be the same on other sites where it's available.
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Kami-koto wrote:
PonSquared wrote:

Thanks!

Part 2 Volume 3 (overall volume 6). I would honestly recommend starting at the beginning of Part 2 though. This season left out a lot.

Starting at the beginning of Part 2 is good advice if you want to get the full story.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks everyone!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, there was a lot to unpack in one single episode.
The most important of which is - how is a single man allowed to be so cool?
I was also relieved to see that Lutz was NOT teleported. Poor boy lost in the middle of a battlefield with nothing to do and much to explian.

I find it kind of amusing how fully grown adults in positions of authority keep feeling the need to pick fights with a little girl.

Quote:
However, the animation felt like it was struggling at times to keep up with the atypical amount of movement in the action scenes.

And then there was the scene of the trombe wrapping around Myne, which was stupidly fluid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 26