• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
^ Hey, if Chihayafuru can get a 3rd season, then Bookworm surely has a chance. I’m optimistic.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:17 am Reply with quote
^Instead of wishing for a third season, you could just get the books and read them. It is not that difficult, just get a comfy chair and some good light and enjoy. They are even available in digital format if that is what floats your boat. This has the added advantage of giving you all the details and lost scenes that make the story a richer experience. Just a suggestion. Very Happy
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the shit out of this series and would be thoroughly delighted if the powers that be decided to make more of it. We really need more anime series of this type.
HannoX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I'm still rooting for Lutz though...

spoiler[Myne is adopted into a high noble family, which pretty much ends any chance of her marrying a commoner. Nobles marry nobles and while a noble man may take a commoner with sufficient mana as a concubine (ala Frieda) or perhaps a very junior wife, a noble woman doing so, especially one with the amount of mana Myne has, is zero. But this is Myne we're talking about so who knows for sure...]
HannoX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
^Instead of wishing for a third season, you could just get the books and read them. It is not that difficult, just get a comfy chair and some good light and enjoy. They are even available in digital format if that is what floats your boat. This has the added advantage of giving you all the details and lost scenes that make the story a richer experience. Just a suggestion. Very Happy

This is excellent advice and I heartily endorse it. I have been thoroughly enjoying the LNs.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I do think there's a good chance it'll get another season or two; the whole story getting adapted is what seems unlikely, because it'd be extremely long, and there seems to be no established funding strategy for anime of that length unless they can use it to sell toys or trading cards to little kids. Either way, though, I'll likely be following the novels; already bought the set that's currently out (in physical form, not really a fan of e-books).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

There's a couple of problems with this suggestion for a person like me and with this particular title. I am person who prefers to experience an anime adaptation first. If I really, really like a series, I may be tempted to dip into the source material or other printed adaptations. For somebody like myself, LNs or manga are a secondary enjoyment that can enrich the story with additional detail, etc.

In my case, consuming the original material first - especially in the form of LNs - could actually dissuade me from seeking out the anime adaptation. Case in point: The Saga of Tanya the Evil. Loved the anime. Read the first LN and enjoyed it from the perspective of gaining extra insight BUT... I'm fairly certain if I had read the LN volume first, I might have concluded the anime was not for me and gave it a wide berth, which would have been a travesty.

Now the probably with THIS particular title with regard to depending on the books is that THERE ARE 3 MILLION VOLUMES!!! Okay, so really only 30 so far, but dem's a lot of books. Assuming you want to aquire them legitimately, you are looking at an not inconsiderable outlay of cash.

All of which is to say... bring on season 3!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

I'm not suggesting you change your approach to these stories. If you prefer to watch the anime first, by all means do so. However, once you have done so consider picking up the source material. It is almost always more detailed and richer than the anime, especially if the source material is a novel. And that is just for the material covered in the anime. In the majority of these series the novels or the manga continue on well beyond the anime. In that case, the source material is the only way to find out what comes next.

I do share some of your reaction to the length of some of these series. However, consider it a journey to be enjoyed at home. In the current case, you only have to read a couple, three volumes beyond the current story line and you will have your third season. As far as the outlay is concerned, as we have discussed previously, as long as you only buy one or two volumes at a time it doesn't hurt too badly. Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The scene afterward where Ferdinand finally relents on his standoffish nature and returns Myne's hug is another great one, as is the way he distracts Myne in order to get his headpiece back.

And the smirk on his face was priceless. Very Happy

My only real quibble with this episode was the return of the "Let's adopt out Main without asking her or her family first" storyline. It'd be one thing if she were an orphan, but she's not. It'd be fine if they had gone down this route either with getting her into the Church OR protecting her from beboy kidnappi'n nobles, but doing both just makes them seem like ridiculously contrived drama, even when both situations had good reasons supporting such a strategy.

Hopefully they at least learned their lesson about acting unilaterally before making it a done deal this time. It's just that neither of them sounded like her or her family's feelings were of any concern at all. Which might be normal if this were the first time they tried pulling this, except again, they've learned she's not normal and does have some agency in all this.

I just wish the whole thing had played out differently, because it came off as both heavy-handed and repetitive the way they did it.

Other than that, I totally enjoyed this and really do hope it gets at least another 2 cours.
egozi14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
So, can anyone tell me what was skipped in the adaptation?

I assume someone asked it already before, but I'm not going to look for it in 300+ comment xD
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
...My only real quibble with this episode was the return of the "Let's adopt out Main without asking her or her family first" storyline.... It's just that neither of them sounded like her or her family's feelings were of any concern at all. Which might be normal if this were the first time they tried pulling this, except again, they've learned she's not normal and does have some agency in all this....
I believe what we saw wasn't necessarily repetition but a change of plan based on the new revelation. If Ferdinand has been anything, he has been pragmatic while sympathetic to Myne. I think his POV is that Myne's value and ability are beyond the ability of teh Church to shield from nobles their world over once word gets out as it surely will. The simile that comes to mind is if some kid in our world was found to be an adult from a super-advanced alien race when they started making something like, say, an anti-gravity device for sale. I'd bet even shipping them to Vatican City wouldn't come close to being enough to keep them safe. If the Pope himself didn't broker the deal, there would be sure to be some one of the many Cardinals who would do so secretly and everyone up and down the chain would probably help if they got a cut.

I think his first strategy was his preferred concept but it has been rendered impractical to realize unless she is under the protection of a very high ranking noble. And we shouldn't forget that if enough of the nobles in Ehrenfest could be rallied to the cause of protecting Myne if for no other reason than protecting their monetary interests, nobles from other cities or countries would be easier to keep away or risk a war.

Her parents' position in the situation is rendered moot by the societal pressure nobles can exert and even Darth Myne can't "get" them all. Plus, there may be other little magic item "goodies" that could nullify her mana's effect long enough to pull something on her and extract the information like Ferdinand used...
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
Excellent show! Hope there will be another season. If it proves popular, thanks to streaming services needing content to keep subscribers, the old anime model nessesitating merchandising opportunities is less of a requirement. Not that it doesn't help. But I don't imagine this production was expensive compared to other more action oriented fare.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
My only real quibble with this episode was the return of the "Let's adopt out Main without asking her or her family first" storyline. It'd be one thing if she were an orphan, but she's not. It'd be fine if they had gone down this route either with getting her into the Church OR protecting her from beboy kidnappi'n nobles, but doing both just makes them seem like ridiculously contrived drama, even when both situations had good reasons supporting such a strategy.

Hopefully they at least learned their lesson about acting unilaterally before making it a done deal this time. It's just that neither of them sounded like her or her family's feelings were of any concern at all. Which might be normal if this were the first time they tried pulling this, except again, they've learned she's not normal and does have some agency in all this.

I just wish the whole thing had played out differently, because it came off as both heavy-handed and repetitive the way they did it.

Wholly agree with what Hiroki said on this. Before, Myne's mana was regarded as crucial for fulfilling the Church's obligations, but her display in the trombe-healing ritual elevated her to the level of national risk factor in Ferdinand's eyes. And that's without factoring in the national tactical-level innovations (in a mostly economic sense) that her knowledge of the other world brings to the table. The prior ways of protecting her are now inadequate.

The one factor Hiroki didn't bring up, which I believe was briefly mentioned in the episode, is that Myne's family, by extension, might not be safe once nobles get wind of her. Doing something to Myne's family in order to force her cooperation is not, unfortunately, at all out of the realm of possibility. Hence Ferdinand really does have both Myne's and her family's best interests in mind, too.

As a further thought, nobles being heavy-handed towards commoners is just par for the course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clematis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:55 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I do think there's a good chance it'll get another season or two; the whole story getting adapted is what seems unlikely, because it'd be extremely long, and there seems to be no established funding strategy for anime of that length unless they can use it to sell toys or trading cards to little kids. Either way, though, I'll likely be following the novels; already bought the set that's currently out (in physical form, not really a fan of e-books).

I wanna continue reading, too. Anyone got a nice link where I could order them from? Possibly one that ships to EU.

Also, does anyone know exactly which volumes the anime skipped entirely?
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:32 am Reply with quote
Here's a post on reddit that explains where to continue with the light novel and some other stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 26