• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: No Guns Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
Aaaand now we know how Mary got so big. Never saw that one coming... Smile
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Victor was not a very smart kid, was he?
"Oh they want to circumvent remote drone laws, let's do it" -> "Oh no, this will be used to massacre the enemy".
Thank god he didn't get to see the full extent of what they'd use his technology for.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:49 am Reply with quote
I can't even imagine how much the kickback would hurt to fire rockets from your boobs.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Episodes like the Podpie one remind me of why I was not overly fond of the first season. While it may be an extreme case, I remembered that I never really liked the comedy NGL tried to implement, and Juzo's nior-like manner/parody felt like it undermined a lot of what the story and setting were trying to go for. Up until this point the second season has been fantastic, making me question my original thoughts on the first season. It is episodes like this that bring me back down to earth.

I will concede though that the part where Podpie and Juzo are basically trying to out "nior" each other (before the whole perverted old man thing) was actually entertaining.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 am Reply with quote
Really didn't care for the humor in 17. Even if Shampoo was willing to forgive, she wasn't his only victim, and Mary should've been all, "Screw it, forgive him if you want, but I'm turning him in!" Did she even get her shampoo after all that? At any rate, one does wonder what he saw when he x-rayed Juzo that terrified him so. And I still find Juzo getting cleaned immensely entertaining.

18 was a lot of fun. Yeah, the reveal was obvious from the start, but that's ok. I still don't understand how gunmetal can blush. Smile But I lol'ed when Emma said her husband kissed her gently on the forehead before he left, by which I guess she meant he bumped her forehead with his crashbar. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Like any piece of science fiction worth its salt, this story has a lot of things to say about our very nonfictional society. And whether we like it or not, we are most definitely living in one.

I don't understand the point of the last sentence. Did something get left out there? I feel as though, outside the confines of a Philosophy 101 class, the issue of whether we're living in a nonfictional society has long been settled. Then again Flat Earthers are making a comeback, so maybe it was worth asserting it again for the record? Or was it supposed to be a reference to Wachowski saying "this is reality"?

Couldn't help but notice in this episode that the wrinkles on Wachowski's face clash with the direction of the pinstripes in his shirt collar. With that quilted face he should've gone for solids or a nice print.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Like any piece of science fiction worth its salt, this story has a lot of things to say about our very nonfictional society. And whether we like it or not, we are most definitely living in one.

I don't understand the point of the last sentence. Did something get left out there? I feel as though, outside the confines of a Philosophy 101 class, the issue of whether we're living in a nonfictional society has long been settled. Then again Flat Earthers are making a comeback, so maybe it was worth asserting it again for the record? Or was it supposed to be a reference to Wachowski saying "this is reality"?

I think the point is "this story is fiction, but it has something to say about the real world and society we live in", followed by a reference to the "we live in a society" meme (which itself is about how there are very obvious shortcomings in whatever societies it's commenting on).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
followed by a reference to the "we live in a society" meme

Thank you. I had no idea that was a meme. Now my question is, which meme - the Joker/gamer one or the social media one? Smile
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
That scene with the super muscular chick had me get a big smile on my face and has been the best part about this show so far!!
Too bad she was a villain. Sad
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Got behind on this. I went to watch episode 17, but now that episode has the wrong subtitle track. The subtitles are from episode 20. Oops. I submitted a ticket, hopefully FUNimation will fi is soon. Sigh.

But, if anyone else felt like checking it out and submitting a ticket, too, it might happen faster . . . Smile
RealMTL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Man, this show keeps getting super hype! Already leagues above the first season for me.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, I do have one boring plot-related question: why doesn't Tetsuro just hijack Seven? I'm sure there's a reason I've either missed or forgotten, and more importantly, it would totally nullify the thematic significance of this arc, so I'm not at all complaining.

Even if Tetsuro could do it successfully (it seems like he has a harder time if the subject resists), he would likely end up overheated after he was done. Then Juzo would be stuck without any legs and possibly his equivalent of bleeding out, since he needs Tetsuro to release the lockout on his extra body parts (or risk losing himself as before, but he's probably too tired to do that successfully).
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The action in this episode is also heavily CG-reliant, and it's too weirdly floaty for a clash between two big cyborgs who have got to weigh at least half a ton combined. I kinda wish they would have dialed things back and duked it out with a simple and visceral fistfight, a la the ED.

The CGI made me realize how cool and impactful previous fights were. This battle felt like they were trying to showcase some shiny new shader rather than animating a good battle.
I'd say they weigh more than half a ton each, they have just too much packed in those backs of theirs Razz And while the wepon showcase might have been too much, I absolutely don't like the ED's battle. Other than the cyborg skull shattering, that feels like a regular boxing bout between two random street thugs rather than the cannon-loaded punches that usually come from them. These two should look like they could level a building if they missed a hit, not just cause some bruises and a black eye.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2