• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Stampede Film's Opening Day in U.S. Ranks at #6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:

They shouldn't have even bothered with a theatre release at all for it.
Most anime releases in US theaters like with Fathom Events are done for the sake of the fans rather than with the expectation they'll make major bucks. I don't think anybody was expecting One Piece to make a ton of money but I think there would be a lot of anime experiences with niche appeal we would deprived of getting the chance to see in US theaters if they stopped playing anything that doesn't make DBZ levels of money. These screenings are basically done for the love of anime as an art form and not for the hope of making tons of money.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:
It's not about it making Broly level movie, it's about it making no money at all. It's opening is less than half of Battle of God's, a movie that pretty much everyone had seen by the time it released because it came a year and half after.

Than a One Piece movie can open in more theatres than MHA and still make half of it is just poor. A series thats been dubbed by funimation for over a decade, has several movies and this did only $400,000.

Your Name which was also by Funimation, isn't even an established series did $700,000 and that released in 200 fewer theatres.

How is this not making any money? One Piece has never been a big hitter in the U.S. but regardless it’s still liked & profitable enough.

And this is profit regardless of whatever flawed standards you think in.

Edit: Below: Right I forgot that.

Last edited by Scion Drake on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Bullza wrote:
It's not about it making Broly level movie, it's about it making no money at all. It's opening is less than half of Battle of God's, a movie that pretty much everyone had seen by the time it released because it came a year and half after.

Than a One Piece movie can open in more theatres than MHA and still make half of it is just poor. A series thats been dubbed by funimation for over a decade, has several movies and this did only $400,000.

Your Name which was also by Funimation, isn't even an established series did $700,000 and that released in 200 fewer theatres.

How is this not making any money? One Piece has never been a big hitter in the west but regardless it’s still liked & profitable enough.

And this is profit regardless of whatever flawed standards you think in.

Its popular in a lot of European countries. The movie was really successful in Italy, and France. The west isn't the U.S only
Bullza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Really successful? It only did $400,000 in Italy. Broly made 5 times as much on its opening.
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

Also, the only place I've ever seen MHA merchandise anywhere outside of DVDs is GameStop. And even the DVDs I saw at Walmart never get picked up, yet MCU movies always seem to fly off the shelves.

Last month Spencer's had a huge MHA display and Hot Topic currently has a section devoted for it as well. Considering that MHA is among the few anime that they regularly sell at Walmart given their selection is only limited to mainstream hits and non-anime like Avatar and Voltron 2016 I'll say its doing way past expectations.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:
Really successful? It only did $400,000 in Italy. Broly made 5 times as much on its opening.

“Broly did this, Broly did that” stop comparing it to Broly.

No one cares about how much it made here.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:
Obviously DBZ is more popular than One Piece but it's a pretty poor showing that it only did 6% of Broly, that's just pathetic. Even My Hero Academia did almost a million and that's new.

I'm not really sure what you're expecting. One Piece isn't a hugely popular series in the United States. In 2017, the Fairy Tail movie grossed more than that year's One Piece film despite having a shorter release in fewer theatres. That's notable because Fairy Tail hasn't had One Piece's level of exposure. It's never aired on mainstream US TV, never had a general retail line of merchandise or even a proper video game released in English.

The best way to gauge whether these releases are a success is to look at the per-screen average and compare that to the rest of the films being shown. These limited events are effectively counter-programming the theatres run instead of the 38,472nd run of a Disney movie. That's why they're often scheduled during the week. They're used to increase foot traffic on days business would usually be slow. On Thursday, One Piece: Stampede had the highest per-screen average of any film in more than 100 locations. It did its job.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Why is there this sudden rivalry between One Piece and DB anyway? This was a debate that popped up on social media over the past weekend too. I don't remember this heated debate when the MHA movie came out. People can like more than one shonen manga.
Bullza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It may have had the best Theatre Average on the day but it's not really a good theatre average to begin with.

It's only $767 where Broly did $5,600, Your Name did $2,200, MHA did $1,800. Boruto did $2,700 for the weekend.

These One Piece movies make a good amount of money overall but like 95% of its gross come from Japan and China and nowhere else. There was no need to give it a theatrical release.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:
There was no need to give it a theatrical release.
Alternatively you could just not go see it if you have no interest in One Piece.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
One Piece isn't a hugely popular series in the United States. In 2017, the Fairy Tail movie grossed more than that year's One Piece film despite having a shorter release in fewer theatres. That's notable because Fairy Tail hasn't had One Piece's level of exposure. It's never aired on mainstream US TV, never had a general retail line of merchandise or even a proper video game released in English.

The best way to gauge whether these releases are a success is to look at the per-screen average and compare that to the rest of the films being shown. These limited events are effectively counter-programming the theatres run instead of the 38,472nd run of a Disney movie. That's why they're often scheduled during the week. They're used to increase foot traffic on days business would usually be slow. On Thursday, One Piece: Stampede had the highest per-screen average of any film in more than 100 locations. It did its job.

And I have to say that as someone who is a HUGE fan of both Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super, I love what One Piece is all about. I especially appreciate Oda-sensei's Toriyama influences as well. Sean Schemmel, the voice of Goku, even mentioned how frustrated he is about the DBZ/One Piece/Toriko crossover not being localized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjT_NkGNPZs

I share this sentiment. But the reality is that if Toei really wanted One Piece to be the next DBZ, they should have sold the rights to Funimation from the get go.
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
One Piece Stampede is only scheduled in theaters for 5 days, one showing per day, and only one of those days falls on a weekend. It should make 1 Million by the end of it's run and that's a lot for an Anime that was "never popular" in North America.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Toei still wants One Piece to be a big deal in the US. Hell, their plan seems simple enough. If it can’t become the next Dragonball, the LA version will try to make it the next Game of Thrones.
Bullza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
That live action series is never happening.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:57 am Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:
That live action series is never happening.

Never say never.

Stranger things have happened after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3