• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2019 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
note that teasing is the light version of the femdom manga (prison school, fapnote, aku no hana) and it seems to prove itself as being more popular.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
World’s End Harem Fantasia is a fantasy AU based on a light novel series about an otaku schlub who wakes up from cryo-sleep to find that the world has ended due to a plague called the ‘man-killer virus’, and all that's left are women who can't contain their lust for the last man in the world.
Wasn't Reito a scientist?

Last edited by FilthyCasual on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I tried reading Ghostly Things (I rented it from the library), I really did, but WOW did that one bore me to tears. It's the very definition of "tell don't show", it just felt like everything was shoddy exposition. It's a good thing it can kind of sort of coast by on its art, because I definitely have no interest in more.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
World’s End Harem Fantasia is a fantasy AU based on a light novel series about an otaku schlub who wakes up from cryo-sleep to find that the world has ended due to a plague called the ‘man-killer virus’, and all that's left are women who can't contain their lust for the last man in the world.
Wasn't Reito a scientist?

Think there is some confusion, on which World's End Harem series we are talking about. Believe the scientist lady is from the first manga series, while this one that was reviewed is the second World's End Harem series. Named Fantasia. It seems more fantasy themed, while the first series was more Science Fiction.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I had such high hopes for Ghostly Things! It does seem like the kind of setup that you would have to actively try to screw up somehow to make me not like it, as the summary is basically 100% my flavor of pleasant escapism. But I'll make sure to peruse it in the library/bookstore before buying it, as 2 reviews from people who sound like they had similar hopes but were let down is definitely not a good sign.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Hopper's review of Combatants is comically bad, basically inventing a pet theory and then applying it to a random piece of media to jump to wild conclusions about the artist without any evidence that the theory is true or is applicable to this case, and certainly not judging the work on its merits. I'm sure she has hilarious ideas abut Nabokov and the makers of Minecraft (who obviously believe the earth, and everything else, to be a cube).
Sabruness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
Wow, Hopper's review of Combatants is comically bad, basically inventing a pet theory and then applying it to a random piece of media to jump to wild conclusions about the artist without any evidence that the theory is true or is applicable to this case, and certainly not judging the work on its merits. I'm sure she has hilarious ideas abut Nabokov and the makers of Minecraft (who obviously believe the earth, and everything else, to be a cube).

Have a look at the reviews of World's End Fantasia as well. I kinda feel like the reviews for that and Combatants feel like hatchet jobs compared to reviews of other manga in this guide. Fantasia generally seems, at least from what i've seen, to be quite popular compared to it's source manga (which has so many problems it's not funny).

I've read the 1st volume of the Combatants LN and it works very well as a parody of, well, so many different isekai, fantasy and Hero/Villain tropes.It's quite the quirky, funny series and i actually like it so much more than konosuba partly because the protag isnt as much of a designated 'b**t-monkey as Kazuma is and he actually gets to take his fair share of potshots at the rest of the cast.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Is this all done now? I kept waiting to see a review for v1 of Nicola Traveling Around the Demons' World, which SevenSeas just published Oct 29. (It still doesn't even have a listing in the encyclopedia! :( )

(disclaimer: I letter the series. my offering for the preview guide is as follows: ★★★★★ It's SO CUTE!!! I was utterly charmed from the first page to the last. Everyone please read it as soon as you can!)
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Marginal Operation link is broken. EDIT: Fixed now, thanks!
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and removes all of the localizations from the first English editions,

What exactly does that mean?
Does the new translation maintain the Japanese honorifics whist the previous didn't?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
Quote:
and removes all of the localizations from the first English editions,

What exactly does that mean?
Does the new translation maintain the Japanese honorifics whist the previous didn't?

I remember localizations were way heavier in the 90s, including name changes; in the anime, their names got changed to lucy , marina (?) and anais (?) , basically names that meant the same but in random western languages.
geepee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I remember localizations were way heavier in the 90s, including name changes; in the anime, their names got changed to lucy , marina (?) and anais (?) , basically names that meant the same but in random western languages.

The Latin American dub used those names(TMS tried to sold the anime in North America in the 90's using those names but only managed to get a TV deal in Latin America. Only years later it would be dubbed in English by Media Blasters retaining the Japanese names)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Is the Take of Uzaki-chan the same Take who illustrated Katanagatari? The encyclopedia doesn't say

The link in the article works now and it’s a different person to the Katanagatari Take, but there’s not much to see. I’ve added a link to their Twitter account but I can’t even add their other works since they don’t have any.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
Thanks for updating the encyclopedia. take is a difficult artist to follow, though knowing the name Takegarou helps.

Coming back three months later to say that I finally got to Discommunication.

I'm a bit more positively disposed to it than Rebecca is, I think. Ueshiba (Yume Tsukai, Mysterious Girlfriend X) is weird, and simultaneously off-putting and intriguing, with the tension between those two reactions constantly at war as I read his work. If there's an uncanny valley for plot and subject matter, Ueshiba's work falls into it. I think the plainness of the character art gives enough distance from what's happening to limit the creep-factor, and, as Rebecca says, the background art is a psychedelic mix of mysticism and dime-store toys.

I feel a little like the protagonist of this comic: this stuff is so weird that I am drawn to deciphering its mystery. Manic pixie dream manga.

Bonus: Yume tsukai's Mishima Touko makes an appearance in this volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3