Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jl07045



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 1509
Location: Riga, Latvia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:19 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I just want to convey how much your theorizing resembles conspiracy theories. The whole 'if you squeeze your eyes and look at exactly the right angle, it'll make perfect sense'. You have to ignore some attributes of Sephirot, do mental gymnastics with others to make them fit. And there's always the question of how well Nasu actually knows his Jewish mysticism.

Nasu has been scribbling notes to his stories for 25 years, made a multitude of alternate universes, both to avoid continuity errors and just to have some freedom to write what he wants. He both takes old unused ideas from early scribbles or invents brand new stuff. For example he went from 'dumb humans made a grail war and decided to invent 7 classes of tabletop rpg heroes for it' to 'actually Counter Force does that too, trust me, it makes sense for it to create a dungeon party'.

Yes, there's an overarching theme on mankind's progress and eventual end, simply because Nasu is interested in it (despite his actually good stories being largely about how unimportant that all is in the face of mundane happiness and human connection). He's made or envisioned several stories on the future and you're telling me there's one that's the right one? Tiamat's narrative is about the end of Age of Gods, it can lead to any of those futures.

All that being said Nasu does encourage wild theorizing because of the esoteric style he does his loredumping.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Veronica Reid



Joined: 23 Mar 2020
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 am Reply with quote
Stick to this
Thanks for your contribution!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatMoonGuy



Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Honestly, I just want to convey how much your theorizing resembles conspiracy theories. The whole 'if you squeeze your eyes and look at exactly the right angle, it'll make perfect sense'. You have to ignore some attributes of Sephirot, do mental gymnastics with others to make them fit. And there's always the question of how well Nasu actually knows his Jewish mysticism.


Won't dispute that. Honestly, I do this mostly just for fun. A lot of this is crazy that's gonna get contradicted at some point since the sheer amount of crazy/stupid in the Nasuverse doesn't stop groing. What with Mecha Greek Gods and Space Bacteria Mesoamerican Divinities? But I, personally, still find it fun to discuss such strange ideas even if it's somewhat pointless. I'm sorry if it seemed bothersome to you but I really don't take this as seriously as it may sound like.

jl07045 wrote:
Nasu has been scribbling notes to his stories for 25 years, made a multitude of alternate universes, both to avoid continuity errors and just to have some freedom to write what he wants. He both takes old unused ideas from early scribbles or invents brand new stuff. For example he went from 'dumb humans made a grail war and decided to invent 7 classes of tabletop rpg heroes for it' to 'actually Counter Force does that too, trust me, it makes sense for it to create a dungeon party'.


Actually, that point was mentioned long before FGO when the White Beast of Alaya (AKA Altrouge's Guard Dog, Primate Murder or spoiler[Fou]) was mentioned to require Seven Guardians to be contained. Once its exact nature was revealed, that answer started to make sense in the context of the Seven Against One narrative for Grand Servants and Beasts. The fact that the whole system was partly influenced by Zelretch ties it deeply into the larger framework of the human continuity (see both Zelretch's fight with Type-Moon and his role as an influencing factor in FSF).

jl07045 wrote:
Yes, there's an overarching theme on mankind's progress and eventual end, simply because Nasu is interested in it (despite his actually good stories being largely about how unimportant that all is in the face of mundane happiness and human connection). He's made or envisioned several stories on the future and you're telling me there's one that's the right one? Tiamat's narrative is about the end of Age of Gods, it can lead to any of those futures.


Most of those futures would be deleted by Quantum Time Lock due to the nature of the Tree of Time. Worlds that deviate too much from Pan human history are marked as Lostbelts and erased. The only recurring theme in the futures stories so far (Notes, Extra and Tsuki no Sango) is that humanity dies and/or goes cosmic (by going to the moon). The nature of Kaleidoscope/The tree of time means that there will always be futures but they'll never stray too far from each other.

jl07045 wrote:
All that being said Nasu does encourage wild theorizing because of the esoteric style he does his loredumping.


I guess that's why I like it. It's kinda like The Elder Scrolls and all the craziness about kalpas, Dragon Breaks and the nature of Mundus. It's just very fun to think about those ideas although maybe I should work a bit harder on trying to make it clear that a lot of those are just my own musings over nothing.

[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#903236



Joined: 26 Feb 2020
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Now it’s become so strange the more I read about this series’s review, the more I fell in love with the review itself versus the gradual diminishing passion on watching the anime it commented on
(Well to begin with I’m just that typical Fate diehard fan jumping on Fate ship whenever the chance presents itself ... but I’m also painfully aware what a fan-service/FGOplayer-service anime I’m coming into ... And admittedly a very big part played in my attraction towards Fate-universe is how hot Gilgamesh is **covering face in blush*)

Just want to tell the reviewer, if by any chance he/she’s reading, that I’m expressing my admiration in a fashion of a failed English-major student looking at the most brilliant English-honor student of her class, enjoying all the sparkles and twists put into the flow of sentences — that is your review!
(Salvaging me from the pain that, when as a full-grown adult, one will find it increasingly harder to delve right into a story artwork with so-called without-any-preserve spirit of youth, despite being a diehard fan of such artwork series ... ughhh missing the innocent stupid passion of childish time, when I can appreciate how sexy Gilgamesh is without overthinking the details of Anime quality **mournful look*)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group