• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony Interactive Entertainment Trademarks 'PS6' to 'PS10'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote
Maybe by PS7 video games will be good again.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Hopefully,
Sony builds the first generation of PS5's better!
They always have problems with first production runs of their videogame product.
With Sony, you're better off waiting and NOT buying on launch day.
They usually don't get the systems debugged until third or fourth production cycle.
It's been that way since the PS1.
My 60GB PS3 is only alive because I got an external fan to deal with the system heat build-up and rarely use it as a Blu ray player...

I didn't buy a PS4 until 2 years after it came out because that was when the first games I was actually interested in for the system started coming out. Hopefully the PS5 does not suffer a similar drought.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
I believe PSNow and other streaming services will pick up steadily over the years, and like our television/movies, the majority of casual people will game this way via subscription.

The argument is that internet bandwidth is still limited, but there will essentially be no difference between streaming via Disney+ and Netflix versus streaming via Google, Xbox or PlayStation. Casuals hop in and out of games like they do movies and TV shows for about the same length of time. So there's no indication that this audience will spend more time on streaming games than binging TV shows, which many already do by watching other players on Youtube and Twitch.

The Standalone consoles will be there for the enthusiasts and of course for markets where streaming infrastructure and cost isn't as viable. But most especially for VR which needs as little latency as possible for a good experience. But streaming will take up a big chunk of the audience in coming gens. Physical will also remain but shrink, but digital will be the biggest loser as more people will prefer the immediacy of streaming rather than digital.

Console hardware sales will also shrink because there's no reason PS4 right now couldn't stream PS5, PS6, PS7, PS8 & PS9 games and I believe both Sony and Microsoft will allow PS4 owners and ever gen access via streaming to future gen games. This will make the service more attractive to those who might not want to hop in with an expensive console just yet. Of course the right cost would be a subscription plan where it's a la carte for 10-$20 a month. Google will have a hard time selling us each game at cost. And streaming services will likely be for older games with a waiting period of 1-2 years until they show up or even longer depending on how long a game continues to sell at full price digitally or physically. But i believe that once the title hits around $20 on sales in physical stores and digital that these games will be added to streaming. Not counting limited time affairs like Sony is doing now for Uncharted 4 and God of War.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm frankly shocked that Sony didn't do this years ago. Even if you never use the names, it doesn't cost that much to trademark them, and you get to keep them forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2