Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
IanKen



Joined: 16 Mar 2018
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
"“Alice gets carried off and has to be rescued”"

Like with Asuna in the second half of SAO. It was lame and lazy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 84
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
IanKen wrote:
"“Alice gets carried off and has to be rescued”"

Like with Asuna in the second half of SAO. It was lame and lazy.


Except in this case it ends up leading to 2 of the best parts in the whole arc. And claiming Alice is the main goal for both sides in this war, so her getting caught by the enemy at some point was pretty likely. Did you expect everything to go super easy for the good guys?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 478
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
IanKen wrote:
"“Alice gets carried off and has to be rescued”"

Like with Asuna in the second half of SAO. It was lame and lazy.


Except in this case it ends up leading to 2 of the best parts in the whole arc. And claiming Alice is the main goal for both sides in this war, so her getting caught by the enemy at some point was pretty likely. Did you expect everything to go super easy for the good guys?

Well, her being defeated near the World End Altar would already be a win condition.
It's just disappointing when a character like her becomes a Damsel in Distress... like it was when the same happened to Asuna (but mostly everything in that arc was SAO's lowest low, so we can put it aside).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 84
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
IanKen wrote:
"“Alice gets carried off and has to be rescued”"

Like with Asuna in the second half of SAO. It was lame and lazy.


Except in this case it ends up leading to 2 of the best parts in the whole arc. And claiming Alice is the main goal for both sides in this war, so her getting caught by the enemy at some point was pretty likely. Did you expect everything to go super easy for the good guys?

Well, her being defeated near the World End Altar would already be a win condition.
It's just disappointing when a character like her becomes a Damsel in Distress... like it was when the same happened to Asuna (but mostly everything in that arc was SAO's lowest low, so we can put it aside).


Asuna was in that position for a whole arc, so I don't really think that it's fair to treat it the same. And I don't see why needing to be saved or protected is such a bad thing for any character anyway. People complain about characters being too perfect in series all the time, but then when they mess up they complain about that to..... And people complain about Asuna and Alice needing to be saved, but I have yet to see anyone complain about Kirito needing to be protected all this time, whats up with that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 1412
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Fair point, but the problem is still the number of total connections. Lots of IT numbers...
Guess we'll have to chalk it up to one of those "sorta plausible things, but as of now, we just have to suspend our disbelief for a bit"
I still don't really understand why it's so unbelievable. Modern day MMO's are able to have thousands of players on their servers, so why can't it be done here?
I agree with AksaraKishou, and the answer to your question is all in the hardware. "Hyperscale data centers" that Microsoft, Facebook and Google operate which also provide services to online game companies are massively paralleled with 100G connections in the 10,000s. They are designed to provide multiple Tbps bandwidth internal to the center and even have links to F.O. networks that run in the 100G range to ISPs over land or undersea and ultimately at 100Mbps to your computer. They don't use satellites because of the bottleneck inherent to ionospheric RF transmission and that's a limitation that can't be gotten around except with fiber optics that the OT couldn't have access to at sea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 84
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Fair point, but the problem is still the number of total connections. Lots of IT numbers...
Guess we'll have to chalk it up to one of those "sorta plausible things, but as of now, we just have to suspend our disbelief for a bit"
I still don't really understand why it's so unbelievable. Modern day MMO's are able to have thousands of players on their servers, so why can't it be done here?
I agree with AksaraKishou, and the answer to your question is all in the hardware. "Hyperscale data centers" that Microsoft, Facebook and Google operate which also provide services to online game companies are massively paralleled with 100G connections in the 10,000s. They are designed to provide multiple Tbps bandwidth internal to the center and even have links to F.O. networks that run in the 100G range to ISPs over land or undersea and ultimately at 100Mbps to your computer. They don't use satellites because of the bottleneck inherent to ionospheric RF transmission and that's a limitation that can't be gotten around except with fiber optics that the OT couldn't have access to at sea.



Again I'm no expert on any of this, so I don't know if you are already aware of this or if it makes a difference, but the players connecting to the Underworld aren't streaming the game like a game off of PS Now or a movie off of netflix. They downloaded the entirety of
The Underworld before connecting to the servers. Not sure if that makes it more plausible or not. Also the graphics of the The Underworld aren't as good as some people that have only seen the anime may think. The graphics have the same amount of detail as ALO and GGO and those games may not be as realistic as some of you may think either. For example. You cannot see hair on your arms or legs and looking at an object like a flower or something really close to your face you can see very low quality textures. Not sure if that helps make everything more plausible or not either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group