• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monica Rial, Ron Toye, Jamie Marchi, Funimation File Motion to Dismiss Vic Mignogna's Appeal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Surely the GFM will be run dry like 3 times over by the end of this?
Geoduck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
He just doesn't know when to quit, does he?

Nothing to lose at this point.

But this appeal should be laughed out of court.

Plenty to lose actually. Because every motion, every affidavit, represents billable hours. For four different legal teams. All of whom Vic is responsible for paying.

The longer the case goes, the higher those four meters go up.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Geoduck wrote:
Aresef wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
He just doesn't know when to quit, does he?

Nothing to lose at this point.

But this appeal should be laughed out of court.

Plenty to lose actually. Because every motion, every affidavit, represents billable hours. For four different legal teams. All of whom Vic is responsible for paying.

The longer the case goes, the higher those four meters go up.

I mean, from his perspective, he may still genuinely believe he did nothing wrong—he’s shown no signs of appreciating that what he did was wrong or acknowledging that the victims took what he did as malicious. I think he went shopping for an attorney who would tell him what he wanted to hear.

What we don’t know is whether he actually knows what he could be on the hook for when this is all said and done.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Does anyone know enough about Texas law to know if the sanctions go to the state or to the defendants?

According to the legal folks on twitter, it goes to the defendants.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
While it is probably a "Hail Mary" pass and we all already know how it is probably going to turn out; there is always the chance to get a crazy ruling from a judge. The appeal will probably be denied, but judges have been know to make decisions that will make 'jaws drop' and people to pull their hair out violently.

This is not a mistake by the lawyer, it is his most minimum duty. Just like the lottery, if you don't play you have zero chance of winning. An appeal in this particular case, may be close to zero success, but that is not quite zero. Vic's lawyer is rolling the dice, which is way better than not having any dice to roll.

It's the same judge so unless he's gone senile since the original judgements or he's been brainwashed, there's a snowball's chance in a volcano that anything positive for Vic will happen.

It feels like a an attempt in futility by Vic's lawyer to retain some sort of relevance for his profile, even if it means shooting Vic's case in the foot even further with a howitzer
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
Sabruness wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
While it is probably a "Hail Mary" pass and we all already know how it is probably going to turn out; there is always the chance to get a crazy ruling from a judge. The appeal will probably be denied, but judges have been know to make decisions that will make 'jaws drop' and people to pull their hair out violently.

This is not a mistake by the lawyer, it is his most minimum duty. Just like the lottery, if you don't play you have zero chance of winning. An appeal in this particular case, may be close to zero success, but that is not quite zero. Vic's lawyer is rolling the dice, which is way better than not having any dice to roll.

It's the same judge so unless he's gone senile since the original judgements or he's been brainwashed, there's a snowball's chance in a volcano that anything positive for Vic will happen.

It feels like a an attempt in futility by Vic's lawyer to retain some sort of relevance for his profile, even if it means shooting Vic's case in the foot even further with a howitzer

Yeah it's kinda funny that "there's a small chance, they have to try!" is even coming up at all.

Maybe not everyone's aware, but there are certain nonzero percentages that exist but are so extremely small they're basically considered a mathematical impossibility, i.e. you could be trying for that outcome since the beginning of the universe until right now and still not get it.

That is Vic's chance of victory here.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
Someone will be living under a bridge by the end of the year if he keeps pushing his already substantial legal bill forward. I say push it further. What can go wrong after all...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Someone will be living under a bridge by the end of the year if he keeps pushing his already substantial legal bill forward. I say push it further. What can go wrong after all...

I mean, right or wrong, that's the fate that befalls many who do what he did.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind: "The court must also issue a fine to the plaintiff that is 'sufficient to deter the party who brought the legal action from bringing similar actions...'" The court is aware that a crowdfund was made to pay his legal fees, I suspect knowing that the fine is going to be significantly more than what's in that fund at that time, otherwise it would have no impact and lose it's meaning. I'm not sure what that fund is currently at, but this could be a significant amount.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Keep in mind: "The court must also issue a fine to the plaintiff that is 'sufficient to deter the party who brought the legal action from bringing similar actions...'" The court is aware that a crowdfund was made to pay his legal fees, I suspect knowing that the fine is going to be significantly more than what's in that fund at that time, otherwise it would have no impact and lose it's meaning. I'm not sure what that fund is currently at, but this could be a significant amount.

Emerje

Last I saw, $300,750.00 Law Twitter is estimating that Vic will owe close to $650,000- $700,000.
morisato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Rial, Toye, Marchi and Funimation have a total lack of understanding about how the federal courts work. I've been following this ever since it first began and to put it simply, none of these parties have any standi9ng to prevent an appeal from being filed.

Judge Chupp dismissed all claims so Vic Mignogna absolutely has the right to appeal to the federal courts regarding Judge Chupp's decision. The thing everyone keeps forgetting is that a lower court cannot prevent anybody from filing an appeal. That is beyond the ability of the lower court. This is akin to a district court telling someone who believes they have been falsely accused or rape or murder (which happens often) that they cannot file an appeal. The lower courts do not have the authority to do that.

When someone files an appeal, they file their appeal with the federal court system, not the lower court system which includes the circuit, district and civil courts. These three (lower) courts have no jurisdiction over what someone can or can't do if they decide to appeal. The only jurisdiction that the lower courts have is if a plaintiff or defendant asks the lower court judge to reconsider.

Rial, Toye, Marchi and Funimation are asking Judge Chupp to prevent Mignogna from filing an appeal and I hate to say this but Judge Chupp has no authority to prevent that from happening. That would be depriving Vic Mignogna of his due process in the courts.

Look at this on the flip side, say Mignogna won, and Chupp found Rial, Marchi and company liable and if Mignogna asked Judge Chupp to prevent Rial and company from filing an appeal. Simply put, he's not allowed to do that because it's outside the jurisdiction of his court.

I'm not for either side but I simply don't believe either party. There is a lot that Rial, Toye and Marchi have said in court that just don't make sense and they don't back up their claims with proof (evidence) and all they have presented the court with is heresay evidence. I think both sides are guilty from turning this into the cluster-cluck that it has become.

No matter how this eventually turns out, this whole mess has permanently damaged the anime industry and Funimation's reputation has been damaged in the process.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
morisato wrote:
Rial, Toye, Marchi and Funimation have a total lack of understanding about how the federal courts work. I've been following this ever since it first began and to put it simply, none of these parties have any standi9ng to prevent an appeal from being filed.

Judge Chupp dismissed all claims so Vic Mignogna absolutely has the right to appeal to the federal courts regarding Judge Chupp's decision. The thing everyone keeps forgetting is that a lower court cannot prevent anybody from filing an appeal. That is beyond the ability of the lower court. This is akin to a district court telling someone who believes they have been falsely accused or rape or murder (which happens often) that they cannot file an appeal. The lower courts do not have the authority to do that.

When someone files an appeal, they file their appeal with the federal court system, not the lower court system which includes the circuit, district and civil courts. These three (lower) courts have no jurisdiction over what someone can or can't do if they decide to appeal. The only jurisdiction that the lower courts have is if a plaintiff or defendant asks the lower court judge to reconsider.

Rial, Toye, Marchi and Funimation are asking Judge Chupp to prevent Mignogna from filing an appeal and I hate to say this but Judge Chupp has no authority to prevent that from happening. That would be depriving Vic Mignogna of his due process in the courts.

Look at this on the flip side, say Mignogna won, and Chupp found Rial, Marchi and company liable and if Mignogna asked Judge Chupp to prevent Rial and company from filing an appeal. Simply put, he's not allowed to do that because it's outside the jurisdiction of his court.

I'm not for either side but I simply don't believe either party. There is a lot that Rial, Toye and Marchi have said in court that just don't make sense and they don't back up their claims with proof (evidence) and all they have presented the court with is heresay evidence. I think both sides are guilty from turning this into the cluster-cluck that it has become.

No matter how this eventually turns out, this whole mess has permanently damaged the anime industry and Funimation's reputation has been damaged in the process.

The link makes it seem like the appeal was filed in a superior Texas court, and there, well, Texas law is what goes.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
morisato wrote:

And your knowledge of their knowledge is about as good as your reading comprehension. No one is saying he cannot appeal. The current issue is that you cannot appeal a decision that hasn’t been finalized. It’s yet another complete and utter failure to follow even the most basic of practices throughout this whole shit show of ineptitude. The opposing lawyers going “hey he fucked up again” is completely expected at this point, and while he may still be able to file an appeal later, at the correct time, it sure doesn’t help his chances of any appeal court taking that appeal seeiously.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:34 am Reply with quote
morisato wrote:

You're delusional. The industry and Funimation are fine. A couple hundred whiners on the internet aren't going to make a difference to their profits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
morisato wrote:

0.o To put it simply, you very obviously have not been following the case and have zero understanding of the law.

Quote:
Judge Chupp dismissed all claims so Vic Mignogna absolutely has the right to appeal to the federal courts regarding Judge Chupp's decision.

Absolutely nobody has denied Vic's right to appeal the decision of the court once that decision has been rendered. Problem, is the decision hasn't been rendered yet - and won't be until sometime after the hearing on the 21st.

Quote:
When someone files an appeal, they file their appeal with the federal court system, not the lower court system which includes the circuit, district and civil courts.

Absolutely 111% incorrect. When someone files an appeal, they file it with next superior court to the one whose judgement they're appealing. In this instance, the Texas Second Court of Appeals. (And guess which court Beard, incompetent idiot that he is, stated the appeal would be taken to? Even he got it right.)

Quote:

Again, absolutely 111% wrong. They're asking the Court to quash an invalid Notice to Appeal (since you can't appeal something that hasn't happened yet).

Quote:

Yeah, yet another person who "isn't for either side"... but who spouts stan propoganda.

Quote:

This is... laughable nonsense on a cosmic scale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4