• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monica Rial, Ron Toye, Jamie Marchi, Funimation File Motion to Dismiss Vic Mignogna's Appeal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:54 am Reply with quote
morisato wrote:
No matter how this eventually turns out, this whole mess has permanently damaged the anime industry and Funimation's reputation has been damaged in the process.

This is barely a blip on the industry radar. I'll give Vic credit, I like his acting, but just like everyone else in the industry from the bottom to the top he's replaceable. In the grand scheme of things if he never works again the industry isn't going to care and fans are going to move on.

As far as Funi's reputation is concerned I don't see how it's being damaged by successfully defending itself. And really, only perhaps 1% of anime fans even care that any of this is even taking place. It's really just his most obsessed fans and us spectators that are really following this compared to the millions of anime fans out there that don't know who he is.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
it's extremely cool how many internet teens have suddenly become experts in defamation law (and now the appeals process) by listening only to analysis of this one case from people who tell them what they want to hear, without regard for their lack of relevant expertise and/or obvious ulterior motives
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
it's extremely cool how many internet teens have suddenly become experts in defamation law (and now the appeals process) by listening only to analysis of this one case from people who tell them what they want to hear, without regard for their lack of relevant expertise and/or obvious ulterior motives

Yeah, Vic 'stands should really face up to reality at this point, no matter how many times they repeat them after it already has been explained why exactly their interpretation of the events and legal consequences are in the wrong, doesn't make those claims any more true, just more likely to make the situation even worse for Vic in the long run by providing false hope for an unrealistic outcome... Confused
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I genuinely wish ANN could get a hold of Mignogna and interview him. Not because I care about his side of the story, but because after reading his depo I've been constantly confused about his involvement in this lawsuit. From his depo, he sounds like he's completely detached from this lawsuit, has no idea of what's going on, what Beard and Rekieta are doing, how the lawsuit is going, and, more importantly, doesn't very much care. He wasn't present at any of the court hearings either and has made no comment about his entire case getting thrown out before it could even reach first base. Does he even know they got destroyed in court? Is he in any way aware of how incompetent his lawyers proved to be? Does he have any idea of how much he's gonna end up paying the defendants if his quack lawyers keep pushing appeal after appeal? His apparent complete lack of interest in this process becomes increasingly unnerving as things continue to escalate

morisato wrote:

I'm not for either side but I simply don't believe either party. There is a lot that Rial, Toye and Marchi have said in court that just don't make sense and they don't back up their claims with proof (evidence) and all they have presented the court with is heresay evidence. I think both sides are guilty from turning this into the cluster-cluck that it has become.

No matter how this eventually turns out, this whole mess has permanently damaged the anime industry and Funimation's reputation has been damaged in the process.

First of all, in a case where person A says a thing and person B says A is lying, you can't say you "don't believe either". You either believe what A says is true or false. Then again, the sincerity of your "neutrality" becomes quite evident when you follow up your "don't believe anyone" with "but actually Rial et al didn't give any proof and Funi's reputation is ruined" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Stop swallowing the youtube lawyer's bullshit
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I genuinely wish ANN could get a hold of Mignogna and interview him.

If Vic's lawyers are smart (yeah, I know), they've told him to clam up on the details of the case. That being said, ANN has commendably confined itself to the facts of the events (of the suit) as they unfold... Such an interview would be a massive change in their approach to the story.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I genuinely wish ANN could get a hold of Mignogna and interview him.

If Vic's lawyers are smart (yeah, I know), they've told him to clam up on the details of the case. That being said, ANN has commendably confined itself to the facts of the events (of the suit) as they unfold... Such an interview would be a massive change in their approach to the story.

I guess the latter makes sense; the former though, knowing Ty and Nick's utter inability to stop talking about every single detail of the case, would come off as a surprise. And it's kind of my point, I feel they don't have to tell him not to talk about it because he simply doesn't seem compelled to mention it in any instance, and it feels weird. It would almost be expected for him to talk about it in Nick's livescreeches or to get an interview from one of those comicsgate outrage "news" sites to keep the grift rolling and give it a more personal feeling, but apart from his depo, there has been not a single word from Vic regarding the lawsuit, not even a passing mention of it at his con panels. I've just had the feeling since his depo that he has no idea of how the lawsuit is progressing, nor does he give a single fudge about it, which, you know, is a weird position to take on something that's gonna cost you upwards of half a million dollars and any chance at future employment in the anime industry
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I've just had the feeling since his depo that he has no idea of how the lawsuit is progressing, nor does he give a single fudge about it, which, you know, is a weird position to take on something that's gonna cost you upwards of half a million dollars and any chance at future employment in the anime industry

It's an interesting question, how much it's going to cost Vic... Because there's the GoFundMe lurking out there.

But even if he'd won the suit - his career is toast. (No reputable company is going to touch him with a ten foot pole.) He blew what slender chance he might have had the moment he announced the suit.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

It's an interesting question, how much it's going to cost Vic... Because there's the GoFundMe lurking out there.

Funimation recently filed its motion for expenses owed by Vic, and their between attorney fees, sanctions, and itemized additional costs they came up to just over 200k. That would leave about 50k left in the GFM, assuming (dubiously) that none of that has been touched by Beard & co.

Monica Rial, Ronald Toye, and Jamie Marchi's motions have not yet been filed, but I would imagine would each reach at least the same ballpark, meaning Vic himself will like be somewhere around 500k in the red. And that's assuming he and his representation doesn't add to his expenses with appeals or any further nonsense.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

Funimation recently filed its motion for expenses owed by Vic, and their between attorney fees, sanctions, and itemized additional costs they came up to just over 200k. That would leave about 50k left in the GFM, assuming (dubiously) that none of that has been touched by Beard & co.

That also assumes that the GFM drumbeat doesn't start back up when the the Court makes it's ruling. I wouldn't bet against that. I also wouldn't bet that a renewed GFM would cover the total costs that Vic faces. I'm just not ground-ruling it out.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

Monica Rial, Ronald Toye, and Jamie Marchi's motions have not yet been filed, but I would imagine would each reach at least the same ballpark, meaning Vic himself will like be somewhere around 500k in the red. And that's assuming he and his representation doesn't add to his expenses with appeals or any further nonsense.

Advent_Nebula wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Keep in mind: "The court must also issue a fine to the plaintiff that is 'sufficient to deter the party who brought the legal action from bringing similar actions...'" The court is aware that a crowdfund was made to pay his legal fees, I suspect knowing that the fine is going to be significantly more than what's in that fund at that time, otherwise it would have no impact and lose it's meaning. I'm not sure what that fund is currently at, but this could be a significant amount.

Emerje

Last I saw, $300,750.00 Law Twitter is estimating that Vic will owe close to $650,000- $700,000.

Sounds like it's quite possible that the GFM will only cover at best half of what he'll have to pay once the fine is included. If they (the blindly loyal fans) were smart they would have done the GFM after they knew what the total judgement will be, doing it ahead just flags the court to another source of money making the fines all the more severe. Also keep in mind that none of this includes his own legal fees which are likely also quite substantial since I doubt his lawyers are working pro bono.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
we'll probably see an article on it later, but the rest of the expense and sanctions motions are out and the total is at least $970,379.00
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
we'll probably see an article on it later, but the rest of the expense and sanctions motions are out and the total is at least $970,379.00

Where's the best part of lawtwitter to go to for this stuff right now? I haven't been able to keep up with everyone since the dismissal.
z3r0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Daaaammn! Close to a mill. huh? Welp, I'm pretty sure he's still got tons of loyal fanboys/girls out there despite his infractions and using his fame/status to charm female (underage or not) fans. He can always start a podcast or vlog in which I'm sure he'll amass millions of subscribers to a point where he's not entirely destitute.
z3r0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I've just had the feeling since his depo that he has no idea of how the lawsuit is progressing, nor does he give a single fudge about it, which, you know, is a weird position to take on something that's gonna cost you upwards of half a million dollars and any chance at future employment in the anime industry

But even if he'd won the suit - his career is toast. (No reputable company is going to touch him with a ten foot pole.) He blew what slender chance he might have had the moment he announced the suit.

GoFundMe by his loyalists + his loyalists to start a petition protest against dubbing companies for "discriminating" against his right to employment. Smile (I mean who's going to dub Broly when DBS resumes Wink )

Blanchimont wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:

Yeah, Vic 'stands should really face up to reality at this point, no matter how many times they repeat them after it already has been explained why exactly their interpretation of the events and legal consequences are in the wrong, doesn't make those claims any more true, just more likely to make the situation even worse for Vic in the long run by providing false hope for an unrealistic outcome... Confused

+1
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4