• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Stars Align [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:34 am Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
Rintaro's bio mom had an awfully similar haircut to Toma's

By "awfully similar" do you mean... long? Because that's all we saw of Rintaro's mother. And, no surprise, it's really common for women to have long hair. I really don't think that's enough to go on to make theories one way or another.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Like I said, I'm not sure. But who else could Ryoma be talking about? We don't know of any brothers of his besides Toma, and Rintaro is the only one whose biological parents aren't known.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
So considering how many loose ends there seems to still be, I have a feeling next episode is setting up for a potential second season to continue the story. Anyone know if there's been any confirmations?
AA751

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
So considering how many loose ends there seems to still be, I have a feeling next episode is setting up for a potential second season to continue the story. Anyone know if there's been any confirmations?

Nope. And I'd be surprised if there is anything further.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/bloodyredstar/status/1210253400555831296?s=21

Akane confirmed that SA was supposed to have 24 episodes but it got cut in half during the spring while they were already in production. So they just went with what they had instead of coming up with something new. Hopefully we’ll get a second season that finishes the story at some point.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Stars Align was definitely my favorite show this season, even more than My Hero Academia. It feels unfair to blame the writers for the abrupt end when they obviously had so much more to show. I hope it gets the recognition it deserves, and a second season can be made. Maybe it can pull a #SaveStarsAlign, similarly to how Fox famously canceled Lucifer and was saved by Netflix. Or Funimation/Sony can help finance a new season since they have streaming rights.

These kids deserve happiness dammit, but I had theories for what a new season might involve (none of these involve the new development with Maki at the end of ep 12, and both of these are not happy conclusions for the club):
1. Despite winning the required one match to escape expulsion, Nao's mother makes up some underhanded dirty lie that gets the club disbanded.
2. Toma's family drama (possibly involving Rintaro) boils over into club, and he says/does something that he can't take back, fracturing the harmony of the group, or sets off a chain of events leading to the club being disbanded.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
That ending was off the rails and I loved it.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
#Fin
I fear that the grin that is distorting my face now will never disappear. Laughing
I was watching and joking that I wanted to see the author go all the way... so that's how wishing on a "monkey's paw" feels. It's the Nice Boat of our time!
Fantastic!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
That 14 second long sloooooow zoom out of the twins before the start of the final game reminded me of the elevator scene in Eva. And the smash cut to black was rather unnerving.

Well, this was a really great series right up until it non-ended. I hope it gets a chance to continue. I still want to know who the other brother is that Ryoma was talking about, as well as all the other loose ends.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
It has already been reported on the site by Kim Morrissy/Frog-kun. But anybody who hasn't been keeping up, the show was originally intended to be 24 episodes but got cut in half late in development. So we get the mother of all cliffhangers as a ending.

It also explains why the season felt like it was doing way too much for a 12 episode series, it wasn't supposed to be one.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-12-26/stars-align-director-kazuki-akane-promises-sequel-in-some-form/.154793

So if you want more (and I want more), it'd be good to support the release legally post your impressions on the website and tweet with the "#星合の空" hashtag. https://twitter.com/ehanashi/status/1210373948166135808

On the note of the episode. I liked it a lot. There has been a quiet desperation to Maki throughout the series and it felt like he was at the end of his rope. Is it a good ending to the series? No, but it works as a cliffhanger.

For Toma's mom... I'm a bit more ambivalent. Like Rebecca Silverman said it was the statement of a evil mother from a fairy tale. Honestly in most other circumstances if the family situation is that frayed I'm not sure if divorce is a bad option, but here's it's framed as the actions of a cartoon villain.

Mitsue's last bit of dialogue felt indicative of the creator's own feelings. It knows what it's doing is against the norms of the market, but it does not give a crap, it'll make it's artistic statement.

I think Stars Align has two messages, the first being what the review said, the happy sports-anime is just an idealized version of real life. A flattening of reality. The world is much harsher then what we get in anime, bad things will happen that are outside of your control. But at the same time you need these idealistic spaces to cope. It's not a coincidence that the tagline is "Even in an ever-changing world, the starlit sky will not change.", and that Maki's hobby before Soft-tennis was astronomy.

Anyways this was a good series, it walked a tightrope that could easily devolve to an after-school special but 8 times out of ten it knocked it out of the park. I just hope that serendipity will happen and the creators will be able to finish their story.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
In the end, I think it was better that it was axed.
There's some good parts in this, but the way practically every single character is so easy to angry, emotionally unstable, and so disrespectful... it's very tiresome and unnecessary IMO.
This was equally fun and painful to watch, serious, what about the dialogues in this that makes you think were written by George Lucas and Mari Okada's kid? It's unintentionally ridiculous, remember what I was saying about the characters "not feeling human"?
Daniel Carrilho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
This was heartbreaking to watch. I guess it's better to end open-ended than to resolve everything badly. There's always a chance for continuation.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When the game ends, it's back to their real world, where it doesn't matter if you took on and almost beat the local champions, because no one outside of school is going to give a damn

Wow really? I gotta watch this show, this is pretty much my number one annoyance about high school sports show, its nice to have one self aware (even if that was just a fluke because they were cut short).
AA751

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
There's some good parts in this, but the way practically every single character is so easy to angry, emotionally unstable, and so disrespectful... it's very tiresome and unnecessary IMO.
This was equally fun and painful to watch, serious, what about the dialogues in this that makes you think were written by George Lucas and Mari Okada's kid? It's unintentionally ridiculous, remember what I was saying about the characters "not feeling human"?

I was ranting to a friend about this, about how the scenes which are supposed to be of the most import were clunky and unnatural and terrible writing.

But I guess if you are woke enough you can get away with bad story telling.
AA751

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

I was ranting to a friend about this, about how the scenes which are supposed to be of the most import were clunky and unnatural and terrible writing.

But I guess if you are woke enough you can get away with bad story telling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7