• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam Creator Tomino Criticizes Shinkai Works For Lack of Sexual Intimacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicSP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
In Makoto Shinkai's defense, the dude in Your Name DID touch the girl's breasts a few times while in her body.....so that sorta maybe counts?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
kurono did develop through out his relationship with tae,

Kurono developed but his development had little to do with his relationship with Tae. He had already started down the path of being more compassionate after the Buddha temple arc where everyone but him survived.

kae kurono wrote:
doesn't matter if she's the heroine

So Gantz doesn't actually have heroines whose characters are developed through sexual interactions in it's story despite you implying it was one of the animes and mangas you listed that did?

kae kurono wrote:
or not kurono went from a typically cynical male into someone who cares deeply about the girl he loves & the people around as the series went on.

He cared so much about the other players in Gantz he didn't abandon them despite being one of the best players in the game and helping train them, to try and live a normal life which ironically would get him killed.

kae kurono wrote:

He was a flawed shitty person at the start that's what makes his change in the story so damn interesting, he wasn't your typical protag instead he's representative of so many young men

Maybe but him having sex with Sei (who he didn't truly love) and Tae didn't really help that along.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
It is my impression from watching half a dozen Gundam titles. There is so much better stuff out there...

Which ones? Because Tomino was involved only in th UC : MSG, Zeta, CCA and Victory. Then Turn-A and G-Reco. That's 5 series and one movie. He also worked on the second half of ZZ, because that show was sinking, but you can't really consider him the head of that show.
And at the exception of G-Reco (which gave me headaches), all those are considered as part of the best gundam has to offer, despite their flaws in narration.
So if you're not talking about those, your comment might be irrelevant.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
SonicSP wrote:
In Makoto Shinkai's defense, the dude in Your Name DID touch the girl's breasts a few times while in her body.....so that sorta maybe counts?

No, it doesn't count.
Tomino isn't talking about graphic sex being shown on screen.
He's complaining that relationships are too often static and never progress to the physical stage. Whether the sexual activity is actually shown on screen is besides the point.

Taki touching boobs while he was in Mitsuha's body might be sexual in some way, but it has nothing to do with progressing stages of a relationship.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Who said anything about teen pregnancy?

No one, I guess. But the impression I got from your comment was Japan discouraging teenagers from having sex or showing PDA is related to why they have a declining birthrate, which I took as "Japan should let teenagers have sex to solve their birthrate problem" when it should be more of an issue with adult couples since teen pregnancy is overall a bad thing.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
When you get down to it, a lot of Tomino’s criticism of Shinkai films could apply to romance in anime as a whole. The will they/won’t they trope has long been a popular trope in anime for a long time and popular fiction as a whole. Rumiko Takahashi especially seemed to enjoy using this trope in her works a lot. The issues with Shinkai’s romance is not that different from what people complained about in past decades like Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha. More often than not, romance in anime is about the journey rather than what happens after. Part of this is due to the demographics of a lot of popular anime which the big mainstream titles tend to be aimed at teenagers and young people experiencing love for the first time who relate to these kinds of stories more.

This. The tendency to only have the story of a relationship be about getting together rather than being together isn't unique to Japan. It's hard to finds any show about an active relationship that isn't either about it coming apart or about highly dysfunctional people because too many writers find that stuff hard.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
Who said anything about teen pregnancy?

No one, I guess. But the impression I got from your comment was Japan discouraging teenagers from having sex or showing PDA is related to why they have a declining birthrate, which I took as "Japan should let teenagers have sex to solve their birthrate problem" when it should be more of an issue with adult couples since teen pregnancy is overall a bad thing.

Your impression is right (although that isn't the only issue causing their birthrate decline) but I'm not advocating for a bunch of pregnant teenagers.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
It is my impression from watching half a dozen Gundam titles. There is so much better stuff out there...

Which ones? Because Tomino was involved only in th UC : MSG, Zeta, CCA and Victory. Then Turn-A and G-Reco. That's 5 series and one movie. He also worked on the second half of ZZ, because that show was sinking, but you can't really consider him the head of that show.
And at the exception of G-Reco (which gave me headaches), all those are considered as part of the best gundam has to offer, despite their flaws in narration.

Then was there any developed relation between Amura and Sayla ? Camille and Fa ? Uso and Shakti (gave up on Victory so I really don't know...) ? Loran and Diana (or Sochie) ? Judau and Roux ? Bell and Aida (this one was shit with "Oh we are siblings") ?

Tomino should not ask from other what he does not do either....
shiitake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
For the people who read this english article "translated" from the tiny piece of image of the original interview that was printed in Playboy magazine and quoted by the Japanese infamous Matome site: the translation is wrong, was done with the hands of the unprofessional translator, and could not properly get the nuance of his words.

First, where the f*ck is this line coming from?

Quote:
Tomino said that he created Gundam: Reconguista in G to resemble the anime he used to watch as a child.

As far as I read the original Japanese, Tomino clearly did not say at all that he created Reconguista in G to resemble the anime he used to watch as a child, but for some reason this translator brought out it out of nowhere. Has this translator actually read the original Japanese playboy magazine then translated from it, instead of just translating from that tiny piece of image that was uploaded by one Japanese anonymous twitter user, huh?

Second, this line was incorrectly translated and the translation omitted the important part for some reason, so it has became the one that terribly misleads people about what he meant to say with the nuances of words. Maybe it feels a trivial thing or just a shortcut for non Japanese people, but when it is actually translated it creates a large difference for readers on their impressions.

Quote:
"And yet the boy's hand never reaches the girl's crotch."

Actually, Tomino said this in Japanese:

Quote:
それでいて、相手にしているオネエちゃん(ヒロイン)のお股にも手が届かないようなやりとりしかしてなくて、なんでそれで気が済むのよ。

Rough translation by me:

Quote:
Despite that, he is only doing things that will never lead his hand to reach the crotch of the girl that he is treating, I am not sure why he is satisfied just by it.

The point is "手の届かないようなやり取り", and which means Tomino clearly did not ask Shinkai to directly depict the scene where the boy's hand reaches/touches to the girl's crotch, but he just requested the movie to have "scenes" or describe "acts" based on protagonist's sexual desire that are supposed to eventually lead to it. There are no words implying "physicality" in Japanese as well.

For the translator and ANN: Stop translating materials from that infamous Matome site as if they are credible sources if you seriously want to contribute to authentic "journalism" in the industry. Even if the primary material is actually coming from some credible sources such as magazines or published materials, do it carefully only when you have a staff having the requisite language skill to translate Japanese materials and you can have access to a whole material, not just a piece of it. Your site is actually hurting individuals' reputations by your half-assed, irresponsible, and bad translation works and click-bait articles. Well, Although I know this is not the first time this site got called out.

This is an off-topic though, Tomino's Japanese sometimes can be difficult to translate just because his way of talking is unconventional even for Japanese as the dialogues in his shows have been scripted like that. He is surely an eccentric person, and I think that is a big source of his works' charm.

I saw on twitter the english translation of the doujinshi where Anno Hideaki and another person discussed with Tomino about his works and Char's Counterattack, which was published in early 90s and translated recently by the guy who seems to have some degree of experience in J-E translation, but it was very poorly done in large part and ends up misleading a lot of people about Tomino whom some people sometimes accuse as "misogynist" mainly due to that translation.

(It seems like that translation is still spreading now on anglosphere SNS. The original Japanese source is this. I just stress here that it is the intricate and confusing discourse so that the skill requited for translator is high. It's absolutely not enough that he/she thinks "I can read this Japanese").
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He then went on to describe Shinkai's works as "stories about a boy and a girl who are always stretching out their hands towards each other," and said, "And yet the boy's hand never reaches the girl's crotch."

...but sometimes he reaches her feet! Laughing
Movies don’t need sex scenes to explore sensuality/sexual tension, as Tomino should well know, having described Char Aznable as a sexual character. (How many sex scenes, or consummated relationships, does Gundam have? I saw the original series and I don’t remember any.)

My joke is referring to Shinkai’s Garden of Words, which has some sensual foot focus...
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
#879277 wrote:
First, where the f*ck is this line coming from?

Quote:
Tomino said that he created Gundam: Reconguista in G to resemble the anime he used to watch as a child.

Article author here. I am a published translator and I live in Japan, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time. Looking through the interview, the line I must have got that line from: 小中高に通うぐらいの子たちに「アニメってこういうものもあったんだ」って思ってもらえる作品になっています。

Lit. "It's the kind of work that can make children going to school think, 'There was this kind of anime in the past too.'"

My mistake there, I think. I over-interpreted the line to think that he was talking about making stuff that he used to watch as a child himself. Sorry about that.

The other stuff in your comment (in my opinion) does not change the content of the article enough to be warrant an edit post-publication. Even reading the reactions in Japanese, I get the impression that not everyone interprets his words the way you do. At any rate, thanks for the added context, and I'll keep it in mind when interpreting Tomino's words in the future. Thank you.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
It seems like too many people care about what this guy says. Rolling Eyes
shiitake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure where you got this line from:

Frog-kun wrote:
小中高に通うぐらいの子たちに「アニメってこういうものもあったんだ」って思ってもらえる作品になっています。

Which I can't find in the image of Playboy magazine or in the mantan web article. The actual supposed line is:

Quote:
だけど、新海と京アニだけか、そうじゃないだろ?っていう意味で、アニメはこういうのだって作れるんだっていうのを、今の若い世代に見せるチャレンジを「Gレコ」ではしてるんですよ。

But that can't be translated as you translated anyway. As far as I read the primary materials that you referred to in the article, Tomino did not say he made G reco to resemble older style anime.

What he said is what Shinkai and Kyoto-animation are doing is not everything about what animation as a medium can reach and represent, and he wants to show it to younger generations who seem to get used to seeing Shinkai-like (私小説) works. Obviously, to him, it is not a matter that whether the work/style is old or not.

And, I will also point out that「アニメってこういうものもあったんだ」 should not be read as "There was this kind of anime in the past too" because It is obvious that just by watching G reco the audience will never know whether it is an "old style". Rather, it should be read as meaning that Tomino expects that the audience will find that not every anime is Shinkai-like works after seeing it.

By the way, I think it is good that you have admitted the mistake and changed the article but letting people know the fact that you changed the article should be done in the article itself, not in the comment field.

Frog-kun wrote:
Even reading the reactions in Japanese, I get the impression that not everyone interprets his words the way you do.

I have read all of them, and the only thing that interprets the original material as meaning that Tomino wants Shinkai to make a sex scene or the scene where boy's hand reaches the girl's crotch is that click-bait title of the Matome site. Any other reactions do not interpret it in the literal way in which you described in the article. It is clear for most Japanese (well, there are Japanese people who can't read Japanese properly or make things up intentionally for page-views, just like that Matome site) that Tomino's intention is to tell the importance to represent people's "raw" desire besides romantic one.

Or you could still say your intention was not in simply telling anglosphere people that Tomino said Shinkai should make a sex scene in his movies though, as far as I observe, it appears that many people on SNS interpret Tomino's words in the literal sense.

Honestly, as a Japanese person, I don't care at all about careers of J-E translators but I have to say the consequence is actually hurting Tomino's reputation in anglosphere world. I think translators should know they owe special duties to the translated materials and the related persons because most Japanese, including actual creators, do not know what these articles say about them and do no even have a means to argue against them.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:
Black Turtle wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

Then was there any developed relation between Amura and Sayla ? Camille and Fa ? Uso and Shakti (gave up on Victory so I really don't know...) ? Loran and Diana (or Sochie) ? Judau and Roux ? Bell and Aida (this one was shit with "Oh we are siblings") ?

To that I would answer that the written by tomino tend to have those things. For CCA at how the creation team of the movie didn't like the idea of Amuro being a family man, leading to the Beltrochika's children novel.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:
Black Turtle wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

To that I would answer that the written by tomino tend to have those things. For CCA at how the creation team of the movie didn't like the idea of Amuro being a family man, leading to the Beltrochika's children novel.

Among the pairs I mentioned, Amura X Sayla is the only official one thanks to the novel. (Did not read it so I don't know if it described some sex scene though)
But basically, all of these series are worse then Your name in this domain, because no ship officially sailed (thanks to Japaneses love to stupid open ending). While Your Name clearly stated they love each other. So this movie went farther than any of these animes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9