• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Pocket Monsters Anime's Promo Video Previews Opening Theme

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I don’t really see anything in the trailer or the episode synopsis that indicates it’s a reboot. It looks like it’s going to be focused on Gou’s journey with Ash tagging along and they’ll show Pikachu’s childhood through flashbacks which wouldn’t make sense to me for them to do if this was a hard reboot. It might be a kind of soft reboot along the lines of the Black and White anime though.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:16 am Reply with quote
It's not a reboot, Ash literally says in the second to last sun and moon episode that he's gonna go back to Kanto to begin traveling the world in full(look, I know that sounds odd, he's technically been doing this already but hush). The series has done soft reboots like BW and barely reference it's past at all like XY but this is all still the same continuity, for however much that actually matters in this show anyway.

Yeah the Logo is like that of the "AU" movies but it's looking like they just went with it because they thought it looked cool(tbf, it does). Also even IF the show were to hypothetically take place in "AU land" it's heavily implied in Movie 20's ending theme that basically everything that happened in the show up to now, still technically happens in that universe, making the notion of this being a AU at all dang near pointless.

besides continuity in Pokemon is dumb anyway.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
besides continuity in Pokemon is dumb anyway.

Pokemon lore used to be a lot more consistant and well crafted, but they got a lot more looser and nonchalant with how it was handled in the later years. New Pokemon being introduced were always explained as being region specific, and it reflected in the games like Ruby and Sapphire where the vast majority of the Pokemon you encountered in the wild were Gen 3. Only a handful of Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon existed in those games naturally without trading them in, and it could usually be explained why they existed there. For example, most of the old Pokemon are water Pokemon, since they can travel the ocean themselves and would logically migrate around the world. Or Flying Pokemon who migrate and fly across the ocean. These days regions have whatever Pokemon the developers feel like throwing in there and don't really put as much thought on stuff like that anymore.

In the anime, they kind of just handwaved away why Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon suddenly popped in Kanto when Satoshi traveled through it again during Advanced Generation for the Battle Frontier. They always existed there, we just never saw them, I guess.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible to be simulcasted in Japanese with English subtitles on Crunchyroll?
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Is it possible to be simulcasted in Japanese with English subtitles on Crunchyroll?

Very unlikely that will ever happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2