• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Zoku Owarimonogatari, Kaguya-sama Love Is War Anime on BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Before even dubbing, they should fix the crap subtitling translation choices or let Crunchyroll do the subtitle translation for them instead. A lot of the choices are bizarre with no rhyme or reason. Kaguya-sama, a title with the freaking honorific in the title gets all honorifics removed in the show, AND you read the persons' name when "kaichou" is referenced instead of the proper term president/pres/chairman, which of course leads to a bizarre situation with the actual name vs the title AND you read the Chka's first name in the translation when in fact Kaguya refers to her as Fujiwara-san, not only does it make NO sense it's also inappropriate. Talk about constant cognitive dissonance. The fansubs decided to fix this with real original translation.

I believe these issues with the subs were fixed as early as the 2nd episode.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
configspace wrote:
Before even dubbing, they should fix the crap subtitling translation choices or let Crunchyroll do the subtitle translation for them instead. A lot of the choices are bizarre with no rhyme or reason. Kaguya-sama, a title with the freaking honorific in the title gets all honorifics removed in the show, AND you read the persons' name when "kaichou" is referenced instead of the proper term president/pres/chairman, which of course leads to a bizarre situation with the actual name vs the title AND you read the Chka's first name in the translation when in fact Kaguya refers to her as Fujiwara-san, not only does it make NO sense it's also inappropriate. Talk about constant cognitive dissonance. The fansubs decided to fix this with real original translation.

I believe these issues with the subs were fixed as early as the 2nd episode.

I have to ask do the fansubs go literal for everything, even the foregoing the localization needed to make the weiner segment work for an English speaking viewer? Because if they did that, it would be a step down.
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
The only good thing with Kaguya-Sama not getting a dub is that we won't be disappointed that they didn't cast Brad Swaile as Miyuki Shirogane. Because who else should do that voice in English?

Man, I really miss Ocean Studios sometimes. Hasn't the Canadian dollar fallen enough to entice a company to outsource to the North? C'mon Crunchyroll, you don't have your own studio...

But, yeah, I think Brad Swaile would be a good fit, although I would get confused on why Light Yagami is being outsmarted by some high-class student.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
The only good thing with Kaguya-Sama not getting a dub is that we won't be disappointed that they didn't cast Brad Swaile as Miyuki Shirogane. Because who else should do that voice in English?

I never even thought of Swaile, to be honest. I was half-expecting it to be Billy Kametz.

Moot point now but I was tempted between either Abby Trott as Kaguya or a no name like Aoi Koga was when she was cast.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:

I never even thought of Swaile, to be honest. I was half-expecting it to be Billy Kametz.

Moot point now but I was tempted between either Abby Trott as Kaguya or a no name like Aoi Koga was when she was cast.

I can't help but look at the head games that the two leads in Kaguya-Sama play with each other as a romantic version of the battle of wits between Light and L. I just don't know a voice actress known for playing speed chess level plotting characters.

I can imagine an abridged dub now - "I have you trapped, L....I mean, Shinomiya!"
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

just thought id throw my 2 cents. everyone always stays stuff like this, but it never really is the case. and in fact has never been the case.

it will be, and always will beta logistics issue. no one cares how the seyuu perfoms,if theres money to be found, it will be made.
But you look at most other companies and you have companies like Funimation that dub everything under the sun even if it didn't stream well or has niche appeal and Sentai has been going back and dubbing some of their previous sub only releases like SNAFU. Even Discotek goes out of their way to include as many dubs as possible on their releases if a dub is available. Aniplex is the outlier here where they're one of the few companies that still puts out sub only releases even for some of their popular shows like the Monogatari franchise.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
Monogatari has wordplay that's hard to translate, but it also got a German dub so god knows how they pulled it off.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Monogatari has wordplay that's hard to translate, but it also got a German dub so god knows how they pulled it off.

The closest thing to a dub for that series was the audio books for Kizumonogatari and Nekomonogatari.

They actually had established anime VA's like Erik Kimerer, Cristina Vee, Keith Silverstein, and Erica Mendez in them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2